mtbr member

Thoughts on Kona One20?

I came across this on CL the other day and seems pretty appealing to me.

2010 Kona One20 Deluxe 19".

KONA 120 DELUXE BIKE 2010

I currently have a 2007 Kona Coiler 19", which overall I really enjoy but for the riding I do, its a bit on the heavy side and have been thinking about lighter wheels and other bits and pieces to drop some weight. Wondering if the One20 would make more sense instead. Thinking I can sell mine for 700-800, so perhaps $500 to upgrade to this bike.

Worth it?
    Humans are unique in having the ability to learn from others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.

mtbr member
    Been trying to do some research on this bike. Looks like they only made the One20 for 2 years, so guess not too many of them out there. Did they just not sell well, or were they not well liked? From what I can find seems like a fairly nice bike for the cost and so much lighter then my Coiler! Have not had a chance to go see it yet, hopefully this weekend. Would still love to hear anyones thoughts on the bike, on the price....
    Humans are unique in having the ability to learn from others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    The scandium frame is very strong frame and so light. The bike is called the primo in Oz. I have had mine for two years now and love it. I mainly ride hard xc or all mountain and drop off everything i can. also i take it to the local jump park with problems at all.
    You will be happy if you go with the one 20. (I have upgraded mine though ) pic attached at theberm.com.au/photo/img-0241]IMG_0241

mtbr member
    Floyd1, thanks for the comments. I took a look at the picture of your bike, Outstanding! It may not be everyone's favorite choice, but I love the look of a white frame with blue accents. Looks great, and glad to hear rides well too.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Great bikes. If you aren't hucking or descending like a mad man you will prefer this over the Coiler. Solid frame design that needs minimal maintenance. I love Kona for their ease of service and the longevity of their frames. Go for it!

mtbr member
    Took it for a quick test ride Saturday afternoon, bought it last night. Looking forward to getting it out on some trails this weekend! Side by side with the Coiler, yeah WAY lighter! Anyone in the market for a Coiler?

mtbr member
    Thought I'd post some comments on the One20 now that I've had a chance to ride it a half dozen times or so. Faster and lighter. The handling is different from the Coiler, steeper head angle, and took me till my 3rd day out to get used to it. Can't really put my finger on the difference, but first day or two just could not take the corners correctly, and ended up the trees several times. I've been able to climbs hills without using my granny gear like I had to with my Coiler, and generally finding climbs take less effort. So far no issue with small jumps and drops, feels comfortable and soaks up the landings with no issues. So far I'm delighted with it, enjoy riding it and looking at it! Sold the Coiler, got just slightly less than I hoped, but more than I paid for it, so can't complain.