Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Taro?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gouda Cheez View Post
    Anyone have any experience climbing with a Honzo or Taro? The 1x9 is the only thing that scares me....
    I've had no problems adjusting to the 32T x 12-36 spread coming from a 2x9 with 11-34. In fact, I'm never going back to dual rings up front, the 1x9 has only made me stronger and the gearing is fine for climbing. Give it a try I say!

mtbr member

Taro?

Guess I should go ride it and see...

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I've got one, I've done a few rides on it so I can talk on it a bit I reckon!

I love it! First I'd say I'm 6'3'' and I got the 18'' model because small bikes are my thing, certainly for the type of fun bike that the Taro is. It's not the best bike for big days but for those rides where you blast out of the saddle for a few minutes then chat with your buddies then blast again it's perfect!

It's really nimble with no problem on the twistiest of trails, I think the 20mm front axle and fat rims help with this as well as the short geo. The head angle seems just right at 68 but I did up the stem 10mm to 70mm to help me fit it. the rest of the kit, the saddle in particular, is great.

On the down side, the wheels are heavy (I'm not usually that bothered but I notice these anchors), I'd love it to have an external BB (cos I'm a snob) and it's not a mile eater in terms of comfort. I'd say it would be an ideal second bike for the days when you 140mm fully carbon wonder bike would just be boring!

[edit] The chain device hasn't missed a beat yet and on the climbing, it's a bit small (for me) so it's not the most comfortable climber, it kind of works out because I need to get out the saddle anyhow with the size and the gearing.. Long granny gear climbs would be best pushed!

Here's a pic!
    Taro?-kona-taro.jpg
    Last edited by JonnyMonta˝o; 03-09-2013 at 10:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Has anyone began to upgrade theirs? very interested in seeing what you guys have done.

get down!
    I can't believe at 6'3" you went for the 18. That's crazy.
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Yup, it's a bit small and if there was an in between size I would have gone for that but it is a really fun bike in that size and I have other options for big days out so all good for me. To be honest I tried a 20" honzo once which felt great a little big for real 'fun' riding..

The only upgrades I have done so far are tubeless caffelatex front and rear, a 70mm stem and some slightly ritzier pedals.. Would like to put a nicer b&b chain set on there once I get round to it..

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I just picked one of these up. I've got two 6-7 mile rides in on it. My previous bike was a specialized pitch pro with a 160mm fork and nothing else stock. I've been recovering from an injury (back) for 3 years so take my comments with a grain of salt. I'm rusty.

I quite like the bike. It's my first hardtail but it rides quite a bit like my old pitch. It makes the trails I've ridden in southern california interesting again. I rented a honzo twice before I ended up with this bike. TBH I don't notice much difference between the way the two ride. Component wise the honzo is obviously superior but I'll be rebuilding this bike part by part anyway.

So far I've swapped the seat out for a wtb pure v. I've got a set of xt m775 brakes I'm throwing on it this weekend. Next up will be a set of x9 cranks, an mrp micro chain guide and an 28t bling ring. After that will be a adjustable seat post, then a 140mm fork. I'm actually impressed with the oe fork and drive train. The OE wheels are pretty bad but tolerable until I explode them. I had to upgrade to 823's on my pitch because I kept blowing up wheels. I imagine these won't last long.

mtbr member

Re: Taro?

Anyone thought about doing a 650b wheelset on the taro? Just a thought.

mtbr member

Took it out to santiago oaks today to have some fun. Crappy action self shots but i had fun.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Nice shots, beautiful day there!

I think 650b would be a bit dodgy, I'm already getting the odd foot strike so making the bike lower could produce a few problems, unless you went frankenbike and just put a 650b on the rear wheel, or you could just buy an actual 650b hardtail..

mtbr member
    thank you!

yeah i figured so i decided against it. already had some foot strike so id rather leave it alone. i wish this bike could get some more reviews. so far i think its an amazing bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Anyone has idea what is rear axle on Taro? In photos it looks like standard 135mm quick release, but is that really true?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Prestige View Post
    Anyone has idea what is rear axle on Taro? In photos it looks like standard 135mm quick release, but is that really true?
    standard QR... 135x10

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Anyone know difference in frame weight between Honzo and Taro? Curious if the aluminum helps at all.
    I do custom ArcGIS and Google Maps, including data collection and sustainable trail layout. Ride Welsh Mountain

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    Anyone know difference in frame weight between Honzo and Taro? Curious if the aluminum helps at all.
    Yeah, the aluminum Taro is Lighter than the steel Honzo, but the difference is practically negligible. If you are getting a bike in this category, in my opinion the small weight difference should not be a deciding factor. Both bikes are pretty heavy. My taro is about 29 lbs without pedals.

The White Jeff W

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyMontaño View Post
    Nice shots, beautiful day there!

I think 650b would be a bit dodgy, I'm already getting the odd foot strike so making the bike lower could produce a few problems, unless you went frankenbike and just put a 650b on the rear wheel, or you could just buy an actual 650b hardtail..
    Go to a 140mm fork and its do-able. Im riding my Yelli Screamy that way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I577 using Tapatalk 2
    No moss...

May contain nuts
    Around 1150g or 2.5lbs My 18" Taro weighed 1900g. Honzo 18' frame weight is 3060g in this thread: Honzo frame weight

Baby Bear is in the house
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
    Around 1150g or 2.5lbs My 18" Taro weighed 1900g. Honzo 18' frame weight is 3060g in this thread: Honzo frame weight
    Good stuff. Thanks for posting
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Your saying a 18" Taro frame only weighs 4.1lbs?

Pictures?
    I do custom ArcGIS and Google Maps, including data collection and sustainable trail layout. Ride Welsh Mountain

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    This german forum(with pictures) seems to confirm that Taro's frame is prety lightweight...
    Aufbauthread: AM Hardtail 29" - MTB-News.de - IBC

So it sounds as though the Taro's bad reputation for being a aluminum pig isn't really because the frame is heavy, it's because the stock build is heavy.

4.1lbs, or even lets say 4.5lbs for an 20" still could put you at around 25lbs with the right wheels and some carbon bits. That's not bad considering it's still a bike you could beat.

mtbr member

Why complain about weight? Just go out and have fun with her.

Im riding mine all stock and so far its the lightest bike ive had. I also have an older xc bike that drags but i use for commuting. Heavy bike but i dont care

May contain nuts
    Your saying a 18" Taro frame only weighs 4.1lbs?

Pictures?
    1940g with Problem Solver adapter (which weighs 40g):

mtbr member

Some action shots of the taro today.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Iĺm building up a MD Taro this week, I will be running a xt 785 mid cage 10 speed rear derailleur, xt 11/36 cassette, xt shifter, kmc xmx chain and I have some xo trail four piston brakes that Iĺm going to run. Will post photos this week

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast