mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Tanuki Deluxe Wheel Upgrade?

My front hub is showing some forward/back play. With the brake locked it has some movement even though the disc stays still.

It got me thinking about a new wheelset and I was wondering what options others have used. It doesn't seem like there are many centerlock options.

mtbr member
    Are you sure its your wheel and not your fork? Ive had my fork loose kinda how your explaining

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I was afraid it was the fork but it didn't seem like the case. Is there something I can check for? What did you fix/tighten to resolve your issue?

mtbr member
    On mine it was just that the Steerer tub wasnt adjusted properly by the mechanic(or so he called himself) I took my bike to. If you hold your handle bars and the crown of the fork can you wiggle it back and forth? If so it is that your fork is not in properly. All I needed with mine is I added 1 spacer so the star nut was a bit deeper and just tightened the steerer tube down to specs. But if its another problem you might need to check. If it is your hub im sure it can be rebuilt for not so much ( a lot cheaper than buying a new wheelset)

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    That doesn't seem to be the problem. I can rotate the wheel with my hand maybe 1/8" with the brake locked up. I'm not really applying any pressure to the headset. The rear wheel will flex a bit but the front wheel moves to a stop first.

In any case, regardless of whether I can solve this problem or not, I'm still interested in an upgrade so that I can relegate this to other tasks like studded tires. I'm wondering if people stick with centerlock and swap or buy a new disc, etc.

chunk junkie
    I swapped to 6 bolt when I upgraded wheels because of selection and cost. I went with i9 hubs laced to Stan's arches. great wheels but hopes would be just fine if I were to do it again

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Sounds like that's the way to go. A decent tubeless option would probably be ideal.

chunk junkie
    yes. tubeless is da beezneez

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I ordered Stan's Arches as well. The studded tires are on the stock wheels with intent to leave them there.

I see Stan's sells sealant by the quart. Any other brands better? How much goes in each tire? Should I get an injector to do this right? Do I need tubeless specific tires or can I run my Maxxis Ardents well enough?

Thanks . . .