mtbr member

Surly instigator rigid fork on 2005 Explosif/Kula Primo?

Hi!

I am considering a 2005 Explosif or Kula Primo frame with the intention of putting on a Surly Instigator fork (100 mm suspension corrected). The idea is to build up a light, yet strong rigid mountain bike with a relatively slack head angle for all around trail riding. I will be riding it hard and weigh 185 lbs. I am planning on running 2.4 tires.

Does anyone (Joe?) think that running a long rigid fork will create too much stress at the headtube on these frames? Would this void the warranty?

Also, I am not one to fuss too much over a degree here or there of headtube angle, but given that the Surly will have no sag, I wonder if these frames, particularly the Explosif, would be too choppered out with this fork.

Thanks a lot everyone!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    The Surly would be too long for my taste. It is also a fairly heavy and harsh riding fork. The Kona P2 would be a much better match - and not just because it is a Kona fork.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Thanks for your reply Shiggy.

So the P2 fork is lighter and more compliant than the Instigator? Also, do you know what travel fork it is suspension corrected for?

Gracias

Quote Originally Posted by panthro
    Thanks for your reply Shiggy.

So the P2 fork is lighter and more compliant than the Instigator?
    Much
    Also, do you know what travel fork it is suspension corrected for?

Gracias
    Not off hand. The P2 is the stock fork for the Unit, pretty much the same frame as the Explosif.
    mtbtires.com

Harrumph
    The Explosif/Unit are designed around an 80mm fork and the Kula around a 100mm. But that is assuming that you are running very little sag on an 80mm fork and quite a bit on a 100mm and Kona really kinda sets up the geometry somewhere in the middle. But a ridged fork corrected for 100mm obviously have no sag, the Primo you probably wouldnít notice but that would chopper the Unit/Explosif a bit. Kona has two P2 forks a triple butted V/canti stud, and a double butted disk fork. They also have a DJ fork similar to the Surly but a bit lighter I believe. I know all of this because I just bought a 05 Explosif (eee eeee itís in the mailÖand I got the last one from that Kona US has ) and drilled the shopís inside rep for a while making the same choice as you. I hate to say it but the color on the 05 Kula Primo didnít make me want to spend the extra money for it over the Explosif. That and the Explosif will make an excellent interim XC race bike until I can build up something else at which time I can switch it to a really nice SS. Iím replacing a Klein Attitude and am a bit tired of the 1-2 season race frame thing so that steered me from the Scandium also.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

Anytime. Anywhere.

I just measured my Vanilla and Instigator forks and here's how the stack up.

Vanilla 100mm 475mm axle to crown
    Instigator 447mm axle to crown
    difference 28mm

So you see that if the Vanilla was set to 80mm of travel its axle to crown would be 455 so the instigator is still 8mm shorter than that.

You run more sag than that but instigator is still closer to 80 than 100mm.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

Rigid sussy corrected forks generally correct for the sag, too. A 80 mm SC rigid is usually around 420-430 mm.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Thanks a lot for everyone?s replies and help, just got back from out of town. I think that I will go with the Explosif if they pull another batch out of the oven sometime soon. Looks like G-reg did get the last one...bastard! Also, the P2 sounds like the better option for keeping the bike light and strong.

Gracias!

Harrumph
    It's at the shop right now...eee eeeeeeeee eeeee

mtbr member

I got the last...

Kula Primo in Canada and although I would have preferred the 04 color scheme, it`s one hell of a frame. Strong and super light at 1381g. If you`re thinking light weight the Kula beats the Explosif hands down.

I too have been considering a light weight rigid fork. The P2 is a given but I`ve been looking at other options like titanium and even carbon fiber. Winwood is releasing a CF MTB fork in April. Corrected to 420mm. Have a look at that.

Harrumph
    I wanted to pick up a Kona fork with the frame but they were out of those too. So I ordered a 1x1 fork until I can get a nicer sus. fork. I don't know about the smaller sizes but the head tube on my 20" is 6 1/2" long so check the steerer on what every you plan on using.