Uncle

Stoke: 2012 Big Unit

Haven't seen much up here about the Kona Big Unit, so I thought I'd post up my new ride:
    Kona Big Unit frame 19" - Eugene, OR edition(?)
    2012 Reba RLT dual air
    Flow hoops laced to a DT 240SSs rear hub / Sram X9 15mm front
    710mm Atlas bar
    32x20 HBC cogs
    m975 levers & m960 calipers
    Nev fr / Slant 6 rear

I have just one good ride on it so far, and I am jazzed about getting out again soon. Still have a bit of dual air to play with, but it worked well enough that if I'd not be surprised or let down if it doesn't get better by messing with it. Unlike my older Reba, the notched compression adjustment is a treat when trying to climb up a techy section. Set it a few clicks away from full lock out and that kept the front end stable and efficient but left just enough give to kept the front wheel from bouncing off of everything.

The bike came in at just ~24lbs with a trail worthy set of components: real tires, rims, spokes, and bars. It's not the lightest SS bike I've seen by far, but it's lighter than many and should take a whole lot of beating.

Anyone else infatuated with their new Big Unit?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stoke: 2012 Big Unit-img_1814.jpg  

Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I have a 20 inch with arch/240 wheels and I have it about high 22 to low 23lbs. Xt crank and brakes. I thought the 2012 big unit was blue with black letters not like yours. Mine is the black and white.

808+909 = Party Good Time
    Nice ride

Uncle
    Quote Originally Posted by imiller View Post
    I have a 20 inch with arch/240 wheels and I have it about high 22 to low 23lbs. Xt crank and brakes. I thought the 2012 big unit was blue with black letters not like yours. Mine is the black and white.
    How do you like yours so far? The paint scheme on this one is reverse of the stock 2012 paint job, and it's marked "Special Edition Eugene, OR" on the seat stay. I don't mind the extra lettering, especially with the amount of theft happening around here lately; good to know there aren't many around like mine. Black n white is classic. If I ever wear out these Flow rims (doubtful), I'll get the Arch EX front n rear.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I absolutely love it! I have been throwing around the idea of going rigid. I don't have a tapered for on it so I'm not getting the full effect. I like it because its stiff and light for the size. The twenty is a perfect size since I'm between a large and extra large being 6'2". I raced it SS all last year and it was great with that. I was racing the expert class and pissed off some guys that were racing on s-works because i beat them each week. I like to think the bike helped with the success. What fork travel are you running? I have an 80mm fox and think that has made it a little snappier through the switch backs. What do you think. I'm doing a three hour ride tomorrow that was described and hills, hills, and more hills so that should suck on my 32:17 gearing.

Uncle
    Quote Originally Posted by imiller View Post
    I absolutely love it! I have been throwing around the idea of going rigid. I don't have a tapered for on it so I'm not getting the full effect. I like it because its stiff and light for the size. The twenty is a perfect size since I'm between a large and extra large being 6'2". I raced it SS all last year and it was great with that. I was racing the expert class and pissed off some guys that were racing on s-works because i beat them each week. I like to think the bike helped with the success. What fork travel are you running? I have an 80mm fox and think that has made it a little snappier through the switch backs. What do you think. I'm doing a three hour ride tomorrow that was described and hills, hills, and more hills so that should suck on my 32:17 gearing.
    I'm running 100mm Reba RLT and it's been great so far - efficient when I dial in some compression damping, and plush when it's wide open. I'm running 32x20 and have some good work in so far - sliding dropouts stayed put so far. I just retorqued the slider bolts and the crank arms in the hopes to chase a creak away. Tomorrow I'll find out how successful I was.

mtbr member
    I've got a 2012 Big Unit...Blue with black lettering. Running it as a 1 x 9. Took it on the Berryman Trail in Missouri last weekend...25 miles of heaven. Absolutely loved it! Great geometry.

Enjoy, and I dig the paint scheme you got there!