mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Stinky Nine Questions

I just got a 2003 Stinky Nine frame off of eBay and I've got a couple questions before I start buying parts. Does it require a 12mm rear axle and what width of rear hub does it require? Also, what kind of chainguide would be best on this frame? I'm also thinking of going with a Marzocchi 888RC2X, any reasons I shouldnt? Any other parts suggestions I'm open fo suggestions. The main thing I'm wanting to know though is about the rear wheel. Thanks.

Ryan

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by gondzur
    I just got a 2003 Stinky Nine frame off of eBay and I've got a couple questions before I start buying parts. Does it require a 12mm rear axle and what width of rear hub does it require? Also, what kind of chainguide would be best on this frame? I'm also thinking of going with a Marzocchi 888RC2X, any reasons I shouldnt? Any other parts suggestions I'm open fo suggestions. The main thing I'm wanting to know though is about the rear wheel. Thanks.

Ryan
    No ISCG mounts, so if you want a chainguide that's ISCG, you have to track down an adapter cup for e-type bb mounted chainguides. e13 says that the ISCG adapter plates overlap with the main pivot, but I know that it usually works out fine.

As for the rear hub spacing... I want to say it was 150mm, but I'm not certain. I know it was an Abbah hub for the Nines. And I know that it used a 12mm thru-axle.
    Last edited by XSL_WiLL; 02-04-2006 at 11:36 PM.

The Lincoln Woods Crew
    The rear wheel is a 12mmx135mm...the 888 shoulnt be a problem since the 2003 model was spec with a 8" travel Monster T.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SOILWORK; 02-05-2006 at 06:33 AM.
    "I push bike up and ride it down"

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Should I go with the 170mm or 200mm 888? Or is there another fork you would recommend? This is my first FS so I dont know a whole lot about em. I've already gotten some good input from another forum, but I'm looking for all of it that I can get.

The Lincoln Woods Crew
    I would go with 200mm 888...My 02 Stinky Nine is set up with 26x2.6 gazzi up front and a 24"x3.0 gazzi in back and a 7inch travel Shiver up front.It took me a lot of experimenting with different wheel combinations and fork and shock springs before i found a setup i like.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Thanks for the replies...seeing your frame, it looks a lot like the one I just got but the guy said it was a 2003. Any way to tell the year by serial number or anything? Here is a picture of it.
    Last edited by gondzur; 02-05-2006 at 01:21 PM.

The Lincoln Woods Crew
    Thanks for the replies...seeing your frame, it looks a lot like the one I just got but the guy said it was a 2003. Any way to tell the year by serial number or anything? Here is a picture of it.
    Thats a 2002

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Axle Question

Do you have any close up pics of your rear axle? I've got a 12mm but it is threaded on one end and just fits flush with the frame. It's not long enough to stick thru to get the nut on and I dont think the dropout clamp would hold all that well clamping on the threads. A lot of the pictures I've seen have threads on the inside of the axle and bolts that go through the frame and screw into the axle. Hope you can help me out.

Thanks,
    Ryan

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Anyone???

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    idk what to do about ur rear axle other then maby get a new axle. u can get the Azonic Momentum axle for like 14$. its a 12mm x 135mm and fits any 12mm x 135mm rear hubs. i also noteced ur from Illinois, r u gonna be at the PAMBA DH and MTX races?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombrio69
    idk what to do about ur rear axle other then maby get a new axle. u can get the Azonic Momentum axle for like 14$. its a 12mm x 135mm and fits any 12mm x 135mm rear hubs. i also noteced ur from Illinois, r u gonna be at the PAMBA DH and MTX races?
    Thankfully, the guy I bought the frame from is gonna hook me up with the axle. As far as the PAMBA goes, I'm definitely gonna try and make it. Where are you from?

Meh.
    Thankfully, the guy I bought the frame from is gonna hook me up with the axle. As far as the PAMBA goes, I'm definitely gonna try and make it. Where are you from?
    I'm from Naperville. When/where are the PAMBA races going to be?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    i am from Peoria.

here is teh race series:

A couple dates need to be approved by land managers, but as of now the schedule is as follows:

April 9th: Sylvan Island Stampede-FORC
    May 21st: Kickapoo Bash-KMBC
    June 18th: Farmdale Frenzy-PAMBA
    July 23rd: Jubilee Jam-PAMBA
    August 20th: Kickapoo Epic-KMBC
    September 10th: Mud, Sweat & Gears-CORBA
    September 22-24th: I-74 Fest-PAMBA

Farmdale Freeride Series:
    June 17th
    August 5th
    September 23rd

A few noteworthy FYI's:

-The Sylvan Island Stampede is a NORBA race, but we can still roll the results into the rest of the series for championship points without any problems.

last year we got Shaums March (rides for Norco and Red Bull) to come to the Farmdal Festivle. so idk yet but hopfully somthin like that happens again. and after the DH and DS races there is a huge DJ jam.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I'm definitely wanting to get into some of those races, I've never done any DH but I'm building this bike because I want to. I'm from Westville so Kickapoo is only a few miles away and that's where I do all my riding but DH seems like it will be a lot of fun. I can't wait!!!