BGR / MCM #311

Spring for the DHX 5.0

I'm thinking I need a stiffer spring on my 05 Coiler. I'm about 220 lbs. when in full riding garb. The bike came with a 550 x 2.35 spring. It rides decently until I hit slow speed type drops more than 3 feet without nice transitions...like more uneven to flat landings, where you're landing mostly straight down with alot of body weight. Even with the bottom out adjuster turned up a tad, and alot of preload on that spring, she hits bottom...not like SLAM hard...but I still feel the bottom. I'm thinking of breaking the bank and buying a Ti spring to lighten the bike up a tad. But what rate spring should I buy??? What brand spring to go with??? Kona Joe??? Coiler owners??? Fox shox know it alls??? Help a brutha out!!!

thanks,

terry
    Boogers and Birthdays....the more you have...the harder it is to breath

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fireboy
    I'm thinking I need a stiffer spring on my 05 Coiler. I'm about 220 lbs. when in full riding garb. The bike came with a 550 x 2.35 spring. It rides decently until I hit slow speed type drops more than 3 feet without nice transitions...like more uneven to flat landings, where you're landing mostly straight down with alot of body weight. Even with the bottom out adjuster turned up a tad, and alot of preload on that spring, she hits bottom...not like SLAM hard...but I still feel the bottom. I'm thinking of breaking the bank and buying a Ti spring to lighten the bike up a tad. But what rate spring should I buy??? What brand spring to go with??? Kona Joe??? Coiler owners??? Fox shox know it alls??? Help a brutha out!!!

thanks,

terry
    Dressed out I'm only 180 - 185 with full gear. I run a 600 for more DH terrain and keep a 700 for the hucking rides.

BGR / MCM #311
    I just called Fox...they say 800 lb. spring for rider weight of 220...holy shiite muslims!! I only ran a 650 on my Joker..of course, that's a single pivot bike.

I'm thinking 750 tops?? Joe Kona...a little help here???

and...again...anyone know of a company that makes one that rate in a Ti spring?? I checked Renton's site and the beefiest they have on any chart is a 600. That doesn't do me squat!

thanks..

terry

mtbr member
    I just called Fox...they say 800 lb. spring for rider weight of 220...holy shiite muslims!! I only ran a 650 on my Joker..of course, that's a single pivot bike.

I'm thinking 750 tops?? Joe Kona...a little help here???

and...again...anyone know of a company that makes one that rate in a Ti spring?? I checked Renton's site and the beefiest they have on any chart is a 600. That doesn't do me squat!

thanks..

terry
    Terry,
    I'm a little out of my element when you start getting into Spring weights, sorry. If Fox suggests an 800, that's probably a good place to go. That does seem like a pretty big jump, maybe try going up 100 lbs. to a 650, and see how that goes.
    I've never used anything but Fox springs, so i can't recommend anything else.

Best of luck,
    Joe.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Stock Coiler spring rates:
    Spring Rates; Coilers: 15" - 450 lb, 17" - 550 lbs, 18" - 650 lbs, 19" - 700 lbs, 20" - 750 lbs
    I am ~180, ride a 19" and need just a bit of preload to get the suggested sag. Rides very well.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

BGR / MCM #311
    Shig...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but, isn't that just a list of what shock comes standard with each frame, copied from kona's site?? My 17" frame did come with the standard 550 lb spring, but put my 220 lb ass on it and I gotta preload it a TON.

Rider weight determines what spring is needed, not frame size. Matter of fact, the LBS guy just called me back, he called Kona...they say 750 or 800 for my weight on that frame to get proper sag (something about 3:1 compression ratio on the new coiler...blah blah blah). So it looks like Kona and Fox are in agreement. Although, I'm thinking that spending $200 on a Renton Ti Spring in order to save 1/2 to 1 lbs. instead of just spending $30 on a stock 750 lbs. Fox spring...is a bit nonsensical. Maybe I'll use the extra money to put towards King hubs...shiney green ones!!!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Shig...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but, isn't that just a list of what shock comes standard with each frame, copied from kona's site?? My 17" frame did come with the standard 550 lb spring, but put my 220 lb ass on it and I gotta preload it a TON.
    Correct. The spring rate does need to be matched to the rider weight. The best a production bike can do is change it for each frame size on the premise that smaller/lighter riders ride smaller frames and larger/heavier riders ride larger frames. I would think the company would tend to error on the side of too soft so there is still adjustably in the suspension.

Rider weight determines what spring is needed, not frame size. Matter of fact, the LBS guy just called me back, he called Kona...they say 750 or 800 for my weight on that frame to get proper sag (something about 3:1 compression ratio on the new coiler...blah blah blah). So it looks like Kona and Fox are in agreement. Although, I'm thinking that spending $200 on a Renton Ti Spring in order to save 1/2 to 1 lbs. instead of just spending $30 on a stock 750 lbs. Fox spring...is a bit nonsensical. Maybe I'll use the extra money to put towards King hubs...shiney green ones!!!
    Agreed. Get the heavier stock-type spring. The tech sheets on the Kona site give you the details on the sag numbers.

Green is good!
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    I've had the same problem with my 2004 Coiler, I weigh 210lbs and found a crack on the frame, it was replaced with a 2005 Coiler Primo frame in yellow, but they just put my old shock back on the new frame, it had a 500lbs spring!, as soon as I bounced on the seat, the thing bottomed!, got in touch with Kona, but they would only give me the equivalent spring for this size frame for 2005 so i got a 550lbs spring out of them but this is way too soft still, so i'm having to buy another spring, probably a 700-750lbs - check this Fox shock calculator out, it might shock you!(sorry).

http://www.mojo.co.uk/springcalc.html

BGR / MCM #311
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Get the heavier stock-type spring. The tech sheets on the Kona site give you the details on the sag numbers.

Green is good!
    thanks shig! another voice of reason....even if you do ride those twisty handlebars!!

and yes...green will be so schweeeeet!!

BGR / MCM #311
    CM, thank you very much for the spring calc!