Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Someone please buy the 2016 Honzo Ti...

...then come on here and write endlessly about how awesome it is and how it's light years ahead of the steel Honzo. Post a stream of photos of the bike in sexy poses and video of the Ti Honzo gobbling up rocks and dirt. Then proclaim how it's the greatest thing since sliced provolone and continue gushing until I can no longer take it and bite the bullet myself and pick up a Honzo Ti so I can stop drooling and getting in trouble at work because I'm spending more time oogling the frame online than earning a paycheck.

Carving the Path of Life
    May 2006

Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by i.a.n. View Post
    ...then come on here and write endlessly about how awesome it is and how it's light years ahead of the steel Honzo. Post a stream of photos of the bike in sexy poses and video of the Ti Honzo gobbling up rocks and dirt. Then proclaim how it's the greatest thing since sliced provolone and continue gushing until I can no longer take it and bite the bullet myself and pick up a Honzo Ti so I can stop drooling and getting in trouble at work because I'm spending more time oogling the frame online than earning a paycheck.
    Glad to see I'm not alone...

Chronic 1st-timer
    I think there'll be quite a few of us in this gang.
    Trailwrecker at large

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Looks like you'll have to wait until September or October. That's what my lbs (in Canada) was told by Kona today. Though it seems they are expecting a couple of shipments, so it comes down to when you ordered one. Seems to be a pretty hot ticket. Won't say if I ordered one myself or not...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chunkylover53 View Post
    Looks like you'll have to wait until September or October. That's what my lbs (in Canada) was told by Kona today. Though it seems they are expecting a couple of shipments, so it comes down to when you ordered one. Seems to be a pretty hot ticket. Won't say if I ordered one myself or not...
    Was this time frame specific to the ti frame or the entire 2016 lineup? My lbs spoke to Kona earlier in the week. They said Aug to early Sept for my Honzo st but that person was just manning the phones while a dealer camp was taking place.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    That was just ti Honzo. I'm sure some other stuff will arrive earlier. Kona stuff usually shows up pretty early.

SyT
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Does anyone know if this can use the 148 drop outs or is it dedicated 142?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Local Kona shop here in Santa Cruz said they will ship in the Fall. But he said numbers will be limited and they expect the frames to sell out quickly.

mtbr member
    Local Kona shop here in Santa Cruz said they will ship in the Fall. But he said numbers will be limited and they expect the frames to sell out quickly.
    Well I keep trying to forget about my preorder even though it is just a steel version. Come fall 2015! I guess I can be happy riding my 2013.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by beer_coffee_water View Post
    Well I keep trying to forget about my preorder even though it is just a steel version. Come fall 2015! I guess I can be happy riding my 2013.
    Never say, "Just a steel version' when speaking of the Honzo! Love my steel blue meanie. But I'm weak, and susceptible to shiny new things.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Ti version is 142: no Boost needed.

Yeah, ian, I expect most of the Honzo crowd is gone daft over that thing. If it were only closer to $1400... like a Carver 420. (I never thought I'd say that about a hardtail... $1400...)

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    The price is crazy, especially in Canada, where I am. I'll admit - I ordered one - and am completely stoked, but if I hadn't received the amazing bro deal from my shop I wouldn't have splurged.

I'm thinking B+ won't be a problem?? I've seen some steel Honzos with it, and it seems the ti has more clearance (at least from internet scuttlebutt). I have 29 wheels, but have some other hubs lying around, and am trying to decide whether to sell them (to help pay for the damn frame!), or lace them up to some 27.5 rims for giggles.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Collins View Post
    Ti version is 142: no Boost needed.

Yeah, ian, I expect most of the Honzo crowd is gone daft over that thing. If it were only closer to $1400... like a Carver 420. (I never thought I'd say that about a hardtail... $1400...)
    I looked at the 420, but it's more XC oriented. I emailed Carver and asked about a custom frame, but once you start adding things like sliding dropouts, tapered head tube, and the normal stuff on top of the basic frame, you're looking at Honzo Ti prices. But yeah, pricing is out of control across the board. In just a few years we've gone from $5k top of the line carbon bikes to $11k. You'd think carbon was some unobtanium material. Freakin ridiculous.

mtbr member
    for giggles.
    I ride for giggles. An added benefit with moving to a 2016 frame is I can try 27.5+ with added CS yoke clearance. And then decide what wheel size FS to get. I want to keep my forks and wheels interchangeable for lots of reasons.

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    I wonder if this and the new Honzo can take a 29x3.0 in tire.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I too am intrigued by the Ti Honzo. After riding for a week and a half in Sun Valley and Park City, I determined the only two things that could make my Honzo better are a 11 speed drive train (on order) and frame that's three pounds lighter!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by hjulier View Post
    I too am intrigued by the Ti Honzo. After riding for a week and a half in Sun Valley and Park City, I determined the only two things that could make my Honzo better are a 11 speed drive train (on order) and frame that's three pounds lighter!
    3 pounds lighter? Know something I don't? I've emailed the folks at Kona to get a frame weight, but haven't gotten a response. If I recall correctly, my large steel Honzo weighs 6.8 pounds. So three pounds is feasible. But I'm having a hard time thinking the Ti Honzo will come in under 4 pounds.

One thing is for sure. I won't drop $2,200 on a frame without first knowing the weight.

mtbr member
    6.8 for an large? I wonder if my small was a pig. It weighed 6.7875 lbs with the axle and clamp.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    6.8 for an large? I wonder if my small was a pig. It weighed 6.7875 lbs with the axle and clamp.
    Maybe you shouldnt have bought the lead seat clamp.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Subscribing... Please give me a reason to blow all my money

mtbr member
    My guess is 2.5lbs lighter = 4.5 lbs.
    Living the dream at TDA Global Cycling – epic bike tours from 500 to 15,000 km.

TDA Global Cycling

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Looks like we will have to wait until October to find out - that's what I was told by Kona. Going to be a long month and a half...

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I came across a post of mine from when I built up my Honzo a few years ago. I stand corrected, my frame weighs in at 7 pounds. 6.98 to be exact.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I'm looking forward to some real world reviews of this frame. The one negative i have heard is that the top tube/down tube gusset at the head tube may be a little overkill - meaning the frame is stiffer thereby offsetting the 'lively-ness' of titanium.

Otherwise I'm stoked on this frame, its taking a lot of restraint not to purchase this sucka today. i love my 2015 honzo, can only imagine how rad a lighter ti would be!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I have one on order, and I know it's kinda crazy to buy a frame or bike with no reviews, I did want to get it in time for some fall riding. I also suspect there might be more demand than supply - who knows. My main concern was flex, especially on a bike that is supposed to be ridden hard. So I hope you're right . If I can lose a couple of pounds, and still have a stiff but lively frame, I'll be happy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    F#ck it! Life is too short. Put my deposit down on a Honzo Ti today. My local Kona shop said they will be produced in very limited numbers and are almost already sold out. Or they're just puttin' the screws to me so I'd pull the trigger.

Either way, I'm stoked. It's supposed to arrive at the end of September. According to the factory a large weighs in at 4 lbs. My large steel frame is a whopping 7 lbs. It's more than I thought I'd ever drop on a hardtail frame, but this will be the last hardtail I ever need.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Good choice . It's expensive, but as long as you ride it you'll get your money's worth. Hope they do arrive in late September, that would be great. I found some other pictures online, don't know if you've seen them. The seat stays sure look thinned out - I know they're flattened out a bit (I suppose to add a bit of compliance), but it's very noticeable in these pics.

Infos VTT : Le Kona Honzo s?assagit / En bonus la vidéo du «press camp»

mtbr member
    That article claims that the Honzo has a 35mm seat post, and that they worked with KS to get it specially made in that diameter. I'm guessing whoever wrote the article had some translation issues...

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Good choice . It's expensive, but as long as you ride it you'll get your money's worth. Hope they do arrive in late September, that would be great. I found some other pictures online, don't know if you've seen them. The seat stays sure look thinned out - I know they're flattened out a bit (I suppose to add a bit of compliance), but it's very noticeable in these pics.

Infos VTT : Le Kona Honzo s?assagit / En bonus la vidéo du «press camp»
    Sweet. Looks springy!

mtbr member
    Bleh, Steel is real i.a.n.!

Someone please buy the 2016 Honzo Ti...-2016-built-1.0.jpg

This thing is money! It doesn't feel as dead as my 2013 but still has all the stiffness. Is $1674 worth 2 lbs 14 oz in a med steel vs a large ti? The ti does look sick except the seat tube brace and 44mm head tube to me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Agreed! Which is why my other bike is a rigid steel single speed. Doesn't get any more real than that!

But I want the Ti Honzo so I can match the titanium in my spine. I'm all about coordinatin'!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Zrgc2aocnM

mtbr member
    Haha, funny video. I really just wanted to derail the ti thread with my 2016 steel frame. Pics of it need to be everywhere.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    The 2016 steel frame looks super sick - I'm looking forward to seeing a fully built up ti frame!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016 built 1.0.jpg 
Views:	2988 
Size:	235.1 KB 
ID:	1012885

This thing is money! It doesn't feel as dead as my 2013 but still has all the stiffness. Is $1674 worth 2 lbs 14 oz in a med steel vs a large ti? The ti does look sick except the seat tube brace and 44mm head tube to me.
    Is that a 140mm fork??

mtbr member
    Yup, 140 Rev RCT3. I know, I know I need to get a 34mm stanchioned fork asap.

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    Yup, 140 Rev RCT3. I know, I know I need to get a 34mm stanchioned fork asap.
    or a 35mm Pike :P

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
    or a 35mm Pike :P
    I really want to give a Stage a go over the Pike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    i think this bike would be sweet!! I have never ridden a Honzo but like the sound of the slacker geometry. I feel so sketchy when way over the front wheel on some other hardtails i have ridden. I wonder if 27.5+ will run on this bike...

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by nfrizz View Post
    i think this bike would be sweet!! I have never ridden a Honzo but like the sound of the slacker geometry. I feel so sketchy when way over the front wheel on some other hardtails i have ridden. I wonder if 27.5+ will run on this bike...
    I have seen a couple people post on these forums running the wtb scraper rims with trailblazer 2.8 tires and swear by them

mtbr member
    Beer Coffee water-
    Have you weighed your frame? Frame only? Or w/ sliders/axle?

This damned thing just might....
    Might get my $$.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Chicken Bones View Post
    Beer Coffee water-
    Have you weighed your frame? Frame only? Or w/ sliders/axle?

This damned thing just might....
    Might get my $$.
    His/hers is the steel not the Ti...

mtbr member
    Thanks SB.
    Guess I could have looked more closely.

Is there a confirmed weight for the ti frame out there? Somethign more substantial than the guesstimate of Ti vs Steel?
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Ive only seen speculation thus far, I'm guessing 3+ pounds lighter. I'm waiting anxiously for i.a.n to report back when he gets his!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    F#ck it! Life is too short. Put my deposit down on a Honzo Ti today. My local Kona shop said they will be produced in very limited numbers and are almost already sold out. Or they're just puttin' the screws to me so I'd pull the trigger.

Either way, I'm stoked. It's supposed to arrive at the end of September. According to the factory a large weighs in at 4 lbs. My large steel frame is a whopping 7 lbs. It's more than I thought I'd ever drop on a hardtail frame, but this will be the last hardtail I ever need.
    Never mind, according to i.a.n's post here, the large weighs 4 pounds

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Chicken Bones View Post
    Thanks SB.
    Guess I could have looked more closely.

Is there a confirmed weight for the ti frame out there? Somethign more substantial than the guesstimate of Ti vs Steel?
    I asked me local dealer to ask the factory, and they said a large was 4 lbs. We'll see. I should have new Ti frame in the next 1-2 weeks. I'm guessing it's not exactly 4 lbs, but should be close.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I would expect 4.2 or 4.3 -ish.

I made the decision to go with some lighter parts, should save about 2lbs instead of 3lbs, but also $500 instead of $2000...
    Living the dream at TDA Global Cycling – epic bike tours from 500 to 15,000 km.

TDA Global Cycling

mtbr member
    Thanks Ian.
    Please keep us/me posted. If you are getting the frame w/o parts- I'd love to know an actual weight.

-JCB
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by micah356 View Post
    Yeah, I would expect 4.2 or 4.3 -ish.

I made the decision to go with some lighter parts, should save about 2lbs instead of 3lbs, but also $500 instead of $2000...
    Or just say F it and drop the 2 pounds AND the 3 pounds! I mean, Im not doing that anytime soon, but if you have the cash! It can still be done that way for less than most carbon full suspension bikes

mtbr member
    Yep SB.
    That's what I'm leaning towards. The best of both worlds.

I've been running a pair of Moots for 8 seasons now. (SS and Geared)
    8 perfect seasons of frames that have never flinched.
    Sprint, long endurance, buckets of bike packs, lots of smiles on bikes.

And all in all, they still look great.
    They've been bead blasted and re-stickered so they should still look reasonably good.
    If it wasn't for the cursed 1 1/8th headtube I wouldn't be looking for anything except more time off work.

So steel/vs Ti to me means a weight savings yes but it means more.
    It also means bike packing and other random abuse scenarios that can carve up a painted frame pretty quick. I doubt I'd wear holes in a painted frame but my vanity might be enough to still want the Ti.
    To want a frame that looks good after years of abuse.
    I've seen plenty of great parts on frames that can't last as long as their headset.
    Why have a 10 year warranty on a King headset when your SC frame is warrantied for what? 3 years?
    (edit- Are you kidding me? Santa Cruz now has a LIFETIME WARRANTY? Well done.)
    But you get the point.
    Go w/ Ti if you want this frame for a long while.
    Or if you just want it.

If I jumped ship over to a pair of these, I'd go ti, and I'd go w/ more carbon rims from Light Bicycle and perhaps some Next cranks too.
    I'd save some $$ here and there (those rims are way cheaper than Enve, BHS hubs work great and are indeed light) but I'd build them to get me out, and back, and whatever else comes along in between.

Being able to stuff a nice fat tire in the frame sounds top notch.
    All I see that's an issue is the single bottle cage but that's prob just old skool haunting me.
    And who knows- w/ such short chain stays I might just learn to manual a bike a ways before the lights go out.

Now... do I justify these bikes by selling the Mootseses? Or do I re-purpose the Moots? Do I make one into a great touring bike? Generator hub, rigid front, comfy drop bars? And make the SS into some oddball who knows what kind of weirdo rigid rig of some sort?
    That question will likely occupy me until the Honza is sold out.

-JCB
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    JCB, sorry about the confusion on me having the steel frame and posting itin a ti thread. I just dumped pics where I could because I got my Honzo so early. Also wanted to show i.a.n. the raw finish of the st. The st in med weighed 6 lbs 14 Oz with axle and clamp, 4 Oz less w/o them. The 2016 steel is far more compliant yet still as stiff as a 2013 I have. It has all the same components sans headset from my 2013 but rides better.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast