Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Bnerd

A new vid

Same course as last year but a different camera mount.
    Enjoy!

AND AGAIN! from RideEverything on Vimeo.

The title reflects the theme of the video.
    WORCA (Whistler Off Road Cycling Association) holds weekly Toonie Rides throughout the biking season in Whistler. They are social rides/races that are held on local trails throughout the valley. After the ride/race a local business provides dinner and beer(s).
    This is the second time that this course has been run. I filmed and made a video last year. I thought I'd do it again.
    It's the second time pedaling up through the Whistler Olympic Sliding Centre.
    "And Again" references the amount of waiting that happened on the descending portion of the course. That happens when there is a wide selection of rider abilities and slick conditions!

Here's a link to last year's vid:
    https://vimeo.com/44914994

or you can go back through this thread to find and watch it.

Bnerd
    More fun!

Some Honzo ridin'-p6100008.jpg

Some Honzo ridin'-p6100032.jpg

Bnerd

Honzo Dirt Jumping

This a short phone vid of me hitting a small line of dirt jumps in the rain.
    Sorry, I don't have much steez. It seemed to be turned off while we were sessioning here.
    This bike is still very fun and versatile!

mtbr member

Bc

Riding in Squamish last weekend.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Some Honzo ridin'-squam1.jpg  

Some Honzo ridin'-squam2.jpg  

Some Honzo ridin'-squam3.jpg  

"Bound to cover just a little more ground"

Bnerd
    Quote Originally Posted by playdead View Post
    Riding in Squamish last weekend.
    Nice!
    Looks like it was greasy!

It's been a while since I've been down to ride in Squamish. There's been a ton of work and new trails built.
    What did you ride?

mtbr member
    Yeah, it was a bit slick. Great day on the trails. Some off the top of my head that we did were Credit Line, Mike's Loop, Kiki, Crouching Squirrel Hidden Monkey, Wonderland and a bunch more. There's a ton of stuff. It was a long day on the trails. Slept great!
    "Bound to cover just a little more ground"

Bnerd
    Managed to get organized and got to Squamish to ride the fine trails!

Some Honzo ridin'-pa060025.jpg

Some post processing magic.
    Some Honzo ridin'-pa060025_stitch.jpg

Some Honzo ridin'-pa060049.jpg
    My friend isn't riding a Honzo but it is the same rock line from a different angle. I also like how the sequence stitching work out.
    Some Honzo ridin'-pa060037_stitch.jpg

Bnerd
    Second ride this season and I still love riding the Honzo!
    The new wheels I had built are burly! I haven't much finesse at the moment so the rear wheel is taking a beating. I've clanged it off of a few rocks and not a dent to be seen. It's still spinning true. I did, however, pinch flat. I'm waiting until I'm riding regularly before I go to tubeless with these wheels. Right now I'm not riding much so I think it would be a waste of goop to set them up.

It would seem that I still remember how to ride a bike. The cobwebs are slowly being dusted off of the bike riding skills. It actually looks like I know how to corner here!

Some Honzo ridin'-p4130029.jpg

Bnerd
    Lots of rock and lots of mud!

Some Honzo ridin'-p4230017.jpg

Some Honzo ridin'-p4230041.jpg

Some Honzo ridin'-p4230069.jpg

Some Honzo ridin'-p4230080.jpg

Bnerd
    Steep with a g-out at the bottom!
    Some Honzo ridin'-p4300051.jpg

Another rock face with an exit bridge with a berm on it.
    Some Honzo ridin'-p4300103.jpg

Hovering down the trail.
    Some Honzo ridin'-p4300169.jpg

Bnerd

Squamish Riding

The temps have recently got HOT!
    But not so hot that I want to stop riding this charger of a bike!

Some Honzo ridin'-p7110122.jpg

Some Honzo ridin'-p7110124.jpg

Some Honzo ridin'-p7110131.jpg

I forget sometimes that this is a HT bike. The end of this rock face had me riding the bike faster than what it could handle and had me headbutt the log you see at the bottom.
    The helmet is smashed but I'm okay.
    At the end of the ride my friend exclaimed at how hard I was riding on just a hardtail!
    The Honzo rules as a killer AM HT! But it is still an HT and sometimes there are lines that I shouldn't be riding as fast as I do on this bike!
    Some Honzo ridin'-p7110176.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RideEverything View Post
    The Honzo rules as a killer AM HT! But it is still an HT and sometimes there are lines that I shouldn't be riding as fast as I do on this bike!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7110176.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	329.5 KB 
ID:	907637
    Nice series of video and pics - thanks!

I get that comment. I'm happy with the stock Revelation 120 mm fork because as is and don't consider more travel because there are times when the rear wheel reminds me it may not digest all the front has tried to swallow.

The bike is so fun that I'm perfectly happy to adjust riding style and locations for it being a hard tail my lack of granny gear.

Bnerd
    Quote Originally Posted by bitflogger View Post
    Nice series of video and pics - thanks!

I get that comment. I'm happy with the stock Revelation 120 mm fork because as is and don't consider more travel because there are times when the rear wheel reminds me it may not digest all the front has tried to swallow.

The bike is so fun that I'm perfectly happy to adjust riding style and locations for it being a hard tail my lack of granny gear.
    You're welcome! Thanks for the props!

I know we all love to do the internet-bike-nerd thing here but I do find that there is a lack of picture stoke sometimes. So, I like to share my visual/pic stoke when I can.

I understand what you're saying about keeping your fork at 120mm but I found I was smashing my pedals and bottoming my fork way too much at that travel. Although, even when I had my fork running at 120mm I was pushing the bike to see how hard I could ride it.

My Honzo is currently my only pedal bike which means, regardless of the gnarly terrain on the trail I decide to ride, it is the bike I'm riding. It's fun and challenging but there are limits to what I feel I can ride on a hardtail. I have surprised myself and others with what I've ridden on the Honzo but, at times, I do feel like I'm beating myself up while riding gnar lines because it is an HT.

Bnerd
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    So any updates to these tires? Still loving them?

I'm itching to buy some new rubber for next season and I'm stuck looking at the HD/NN combo. But I think I'd go with the 2.25 NN rear just in case. My recent rides with the 2.4/2.25 Ardents in the mud have been quite eye opening for me, especially since the Ardents have been killer in the dry summer riding months.
    @eurospek, sorry for the really long delay for an answer!

I was just rereading this thread and saw your post.

To answer, I'm not a fan of the Nobby Nic tire. I only ran it as a rear.
    Straight line grip and braking was good. But after the break-in period the side knobs folded unexpectedly while cornering. It almost felt like I wasn't running enough pressure in the tire and the sidewall was folding. Even after upping the pressure substantially the feeling still persisted. At which point I figured out it was the side knobs folding.
    It got to the point that I knew the tire would break away but it was never consistent. I wouldn't call these drifty tires but they would and it would be at moments when I didn't want or need them to break away and drift/slide.

I eventually replaced the NN with an Ardent 2.4. I liked that way better!
    Yes, you have to lean the bike way over to get the Ardent to really grip and rail but, at least, the side knobs never fold.

Later I ran Schwalbe HD's front and back. That turned the bike into a grip monster! The expression of "cornering on rails" was very true with running the HD front and back.
    The grip is so good that for Spring and Fall riding these are my go-to tires. It's generally quite wet during those seasons here. I was crawling down overly wet and slick rock faces that would normally have me giving them a pass in those kind of conditions! As long as my braking skills/management was up to the task the HD's were always willing.

I'm now back to an HD front and a 2.4 Ardent rear. The HD F/R were great but they were noticeably slow. Once things dry out the Ardent is a much better choice as a rear.
    I agree that the Ardents are a very poor choice for wet riding conditions. And, I would never use the Ardent as a front tire wet or dry. But, as a rear I find it very manageable even when it is wet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have the Hans Dampfs and Ardents but on different bikes and wheel sizes. I thought about your post because I run the tires you're talking about and was caught in greasy stuff with the Ardents last weekend. One Ardent tore mid-week so I got some Bontrager XR3 and 4 (aka 29-3, 29-4) but too early for a fair full report. I'll say promising so far, and I understand why they're getting good reviews. They should have completely different naming scheme because they're so much better than older Bontrager tires I tried.

Tearing a tire (night ride blasting through a rocky crossing) and the good price stood out too. Again, too early for fair assessment but the XR4 (or 29-4) tire may have that slow upright predictability of the Hans Dampf with a bit more there for you when leaned over like a lot of Maxxis tires and fast rolling.

That night ride drove home more love for this bike. I'm enjoying adjusting my riding style and speed for the hard tail and no granny gear. It's a better match when I ride with a friend who's on a single speed or fat bike than friends with light squishy bikes.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3