mtbr member
    Jun 2005

So I bought a Kona Hoss Today

I really like it. I would of liked to get the Dee Lux version but none in stock and I guess the LBS called the rep and none available. Would of had to wait till September if I wanted one so I settled on the Hoss.

I am wondering if I should buy shoes that clamp into the clamps or not? I bought some regular pedals because I am not used to nor have I ever used the clamps. Wouldnt mind trying though.

Hoss Dee-Lux'n It
    Mar 2005
    I just use platform pedals like you. Now that I'm more comfortable and more fit to ride the bike, I'm looking at getting SPD pedals and shoes. However I will still get a pedal that has a large platform, cause when the going gets rough, I know I will have to clip out to get over the technical stuff.

i heart singletrack

... you may find them sketchy at first, but...

clipless (click-in style) pedals are the single best performance and control upgrade you can make to your bike. take the time to learn how to use them before you ride technical trails, but i think you'll be amazed at how much more climbing power and "connectedness" you feel to the bike.

... my $.02.

good luck!
    mg
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

Try clipless with platforms

Quote Originally Posted by Jump1979man
    I really like it. I would of liked to get the Dee Lux version but none in stock and I guess the LBS called the rep and none available. Would of had to wait till September if I wanted one so I settled on the Hoss.

I am wondering if I should buy shoes that clamp into the clamps or not? I bought some regular pedals because I am not used to nor have I ever used the clamps. Wouldnt mind trying though.
    Clipless (what you refer to as clamps) is definently a nice upgrade to have. Not only do you get more control over your bike, but you gain pedalling efficiency because you can PULL up as well as push down on your pedals. I like the platform type as they give you the option of clipping in or not on technical sections. I personally use the Crank Bros Mallet pedals, but Shimano and Time also make good models. The platform type clipless also allow you to use a more flexible soled shoe, which makes hike-a-bike sections of the trail easier than with a 2X4 stiff racing shoe (which I use for cyclo-cross and they SUCK to walk in). They are heavier, almost twice as heavy as a standard clipless pedal, but it still amounts to less than a pound extra and at our size....who cares!

Thats my $.02