mtbr member
    Jul 2004

"Shocking" opinions? (Dawg Primo shock upgrade)

Sorry for the play on words and sorry if this has been covered recently, but I haven't frequented this forum much lately.

The delimma; I've got an '04 Dawg Primo and am not that impressed with the AVA shock, (had some problems with it, but that's another story). I've narrowed the search down to the Fox RP3 and the Manitou Swinger 3-way air. I rode a Prophet with the Manitou and it was SWEET, but I'm kind of a Fox faithful and don't know if the Manitou would react the same on my Dawg. Any thoughts, comments or opinions?

Thanks,

JT

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    I'd get the RP3. With that said I've never owned either so what do i know
    "Listen here you beautiful *****, I'm about to **** you up with some truth"

ride on!

What kinda problems?

W/ the AVA? Just curious because i've got an 03 dawg frame w/AVA lockout. I've only got 300 miles on it right now and i'm planning an all summer long ride down the CDT/GDR mtb trail from Canada to Mexico. Keep in mind i guess the new rp3 don't have a solid lockout setting. Where the AVA does.
    Pedalpower2dapeopleyo!!!!

Just roll it......

Send it to push

If you don't like the performance of your current shock, you could always save dough and send it to Push and get a custom valved version of the same shock. Give Jimmy or Darren a call about your situation and see what they say.

FYI, the RP3 would be my choice for a new shock for the dawg.

www.pushindustries.com

Chers,
    EB

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtndawg
    W/ the AVA? Just curious because i've got an 03 dawg frame w/AVA lockout. I've only got 300 miles on it right now and i'm planning an all summer long ride down the CDT/GDR mtb trail from Canada to Mexico. Keep in mind i guess the new rp3 don't have a solid lockout setting. Where the AVA does.

I've had two problems with it. The first was a blown seal after about 6 months of riding, and not in adverse conditions. I contacted Fox and they said send it in. They fixed it under warranty, but only 6 months? The second is that now the AVA sleeve will not fully collapse. It probably needs a good cleaning, but I haven't ridden it that much since the rebuild...?

Thanks also to ebxtreme & ACME54321for your input. I've thought about giving it a "Push," but am concerned about the general longevity of the shock. I talked to a couple bike shop guys today and they all leaned toward the Fox. In '06, Fox is coming out with a DHX Air, (one can be seen on the new SC Nomad - COOL looking bike http://www.santacruzmtb.com/bicycles/nomad.php) which I may wait for and check out. Could be overkill for just a 4" travel bike.

One thing I did was try "the other hole"... For the lower shock mount! You guys are awful! ;^) It really made a big difference, both in ride and handling. Didn't climb as well tho, so I might change it back...

Thanks again!

JT

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I had a Fox FloatRC on an older Slayer and sent it off to Push to be re-build/ have platform technology added. Came back sweet. They removed the lock out for good and valved/build it to my custom specs interms of riding style and my weight. Too bad someone stole my Slayer soon after- although I was then able to use insurance $ to buy a Coiler D It cost 140. with shipping. They have it dialed so you fill out an order form first to give them a heads up - they get it back fast. It is re-build with higher quality parts than the original.