mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Scandium or "scamdium"? 14 cinder cone.

I am somewhere between a beginner and intermediate rider in phoenix az. I was about to pull the trigger on a kahuna but many in the local forum suggested a steel or carbon bike to deal with the chunky, rocky chatter inducing trails we have here. I can't really find a steel bike I like and carbon is out of my price range.

Then I noticed the 14 cinder cone. I emailed kona and they said it is softer riding than most of thier current steel bikes.

Anyone familiar with the ride of scandium? Spec for spec I think the kahuna is a better bike, but I'm willing to take a shot on a 27.5.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    If you google it, there's many sites that say scandium is stronger than the standard 6000 aluminum which allows for thinner tubing material. The thinner tubing could result in a more forgiving ride...
    You could go here... KONA OWNER FORUMS & SUPPORT and get info from one o Kona's tech's
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

It's not just a Kona thing. I love my Scandium frames. I have a Kona Hei Hei 29 and has been my favorite ride so far. Full suspension though so I don't really get into whether a frame flexes or not. I do notice a little flex if I hold the brakes and put pressure on the crank. Kona has been using it for years and years... so good stuff.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I have never had the chance to compare a similar bike with my scandium Abra Cadabra. But it lets them build a very light frame, by using thinner tubes that are still strong enough. Tapping on the tubes of the Abra Cadabra frame sounds like a tin can, you can tell how thin it is. But after plenty of crashes and rock strikes, never any damage.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

explosive is the one to ride

Quote Originally Posted by TBoneAz View Post
    I am somewhere between a beginner and intermediate rider in phoenix az. I was about to pull the trigger on a kahuna but many in the local forum suggested a steel or carbon bike to deal with the chunky, rocky chatter inducing trails we have here. I can't really find a steel bike I like and carbon is out of my price range.

Then I noticed the 14 cinder cone. I emailed kona and they said it is softer riding than most of thier current steel bikes.

Anyone familiar with the ride of scandium? Spec for spec I think the kahuna is a better bike, but I'm willing to take a shot on a 27.5.

Thoughts?

Fat-tired Roadie
    Honestly, I don't get the frame compliance thing with regard to mountain bikes. Between fat, low-pressure tires, wheels having some give, and suspension, I just don't think that frame flex could make a difference.

Try both, buy your favorite. If the material is that important, you should be able to feel it dropping a curb or plowing through some pot holes in front of the shop. Try to control for differences in the wheels, tires and suspension...

Of course, demo days are the gold standard. But you'd probably have to wait a while.

FWIW, I have one of the scandium Hei Heis. I get a kick out of having a semi-exotic frame material, but I think moving to 29" wheels and FS are the big-ticket changes.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    Honestly, I don't get the frame compliance thing with regard to mountain bikes. Between fat, low-pressure tires, wheels having some give, and suspension, I just don't think that frame flex could make a difference.
    Frame flex makes all the difference in the world, especially if you're riding technical terrain...
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

Fat-tired Roadie
    Come to think of it, the two times I replaced the fork on my old bike, I noticed a big improvement in its ability to hold a line. I think that was about torsional flex, so you've got me - I need to change my statement.

I don't see how anyone can see flex in the structural components of a bicycle as a positive.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    FWIW (although I am late to the game) I rode a Cinder Cone for the entire year I lived in Phoenix. No issues at all, and I pointed it up and down some pretty aggressive trails there.

Although I do prefer steel frames (ride an AL frame and a steel frame with similar set ups back to back) due to the numbing effect it has on chatter. I did the Whiskey Off Road, Tour of the White Mountains, BCT, and Cave Creek Bike Fest races on my Cinder Cone though and was never uncomfortable...

mtbr member
    MHO is frame, fork, and wheel flex is desirable on a hardtail or rigid, not so much on full suspension. On a fully I want everything pointed in the same direction and tracking straight. On my unit the flex from said parts is desirable to keep the fillings from rattling out of my head and from feeling like I've been run over by an f-150. YMMV....
    To appreciate the flowers you must also walk among s**t to know the difference