mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Satori-mini review

mini-review Kona Satori
    I only have 2 rides on the bike now, and I still have to get the cockpit right, but wow,damn,what a cool bike.

I bought a frame/fork (Fox Talas 34-140mm) and built it up using parts from my old Yeti 575.

Still messing with air pressure front and rear but its close. Only problem is the bars I have are a high rise and so is the stem, so the bike is wheely-ing on steep climbs. Gotta change that fast.

The bike soaks up everything so far. East coast singletrack, rocky,rooty etc. Fantastic traction for climbing, and I dont feel the need to use the Pro-pedal at all.

I am wondering if riding my Salsa Spearfish for the past several months hasnt gotten me used to a stiffer ride though.

But so far so good. I was looking at the Transition Bandit 29, Salsa Horsethief, Sultan etc. I'm happy with my purchase. I'll post more after dialing the bike in better

Oh yea, I know there was some confusion about chainstay length. I measure mine at 17.3". Its easier to wheelie and manual than any 29er I have ridden.

A little surprised at the weight. Frame,front der, part of the headset was 7lbs 13oz
    Fork was 4lbs 9 oz.

Tom

mtbr member
    How about some pics?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    should be 1 in my profile, they are too large to post here

father, mountain biker
    Sweet ride! I rode on a demo Satori for 3 or 4 rides and had a lot of run. I found it fast, railed nice, flickable, and surprising stiff in the rear end, even without a 142x12 thru on the tail. I ended up going with a Tallboy LT, but only because of the slightly better climbing characteristics. I think the Satori with the steeper head angle was a bit more fun on the downhill, especially on anything steep.
    "He seems quite arrogant and ignores quite some valid points." -Millfox
    "I don't like you" -ne_dan

Ambi-Turner
    May 2010
    Has anyone ridden the Niner WFO and the Satori? How do they compare? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shredjunkie View Post
    Sweet ride! I rode on a demo Satori for 3 or 4 rides and had a lot of run. I found it fast, railed nice, flickable, and surprising stiff in the rear end, even without a 142x12 thru on the tail. I ended up going with a Tallboy LT, but only because of the slightly better climbing characteristics. I think the Satori with the slacker head angle was a bit more fun on the downhill, especially on anything steep.
    FTFY.

This bike is on a shortlist of dream 29ers that I'd like to be able to afford within the next year or so.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    5 or 6 rides on the bike now on different trails. Have had it on some slow,technical trails and some fast rocky stuff. I'm impressed, it soaks up everything but handles great at the same time. Its a climbing machine. I thought my Salsa Big Mama climbed well with 18.5" chainstays that kept the front end down. But the Kona even with the really short stays climbs like a champ. Possibly the best climbing bike I have ever had. I just started using flats this year(after riding clipless since 1991-lol) and the few climbs I have not made on the Kona is probably due to the fact I am still getting used to the flat pedals. I also have a Salsa Spearfish that is under 25lbs that I figured I'd also keep, but after more rides on the Kona, that might be the only bike I need.
    I use a 60x6 degree stem and a wide, lo rise bar. At first I thought I wouldnt like that setup, but its the bomb after gettting used to it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    thanks for the mini review - im looking at the longer travel rides and this is on the list -

gonna demo against the Yeti95 and new Giant TranceX29 - but this one seems a grt value for its build and all the raves from riders...

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    coulda bought the 12 Satori for $2340 tonight - passed - yes it hurt - but for a short guy like me there were 2 inches too little standover, and when you look at the 13 spec - its all the upgrades you would want. still grt deal. i gotta ride it and determine if standover is really a big deal

so - grt looking bike, and the shop all raved about it... for diff reasons and half of em are not mtb'ers at heart - seems Kona may have nailed this one

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Short on Satori

I am 5 6 and 1/2 the 16 inch is good, minimal to no standover, but it isnt a problem bike feels great. if you go 29 you are going to have this problem. only specialized or divinci. Ps the kona is great have mine pimped out will reveiw later.