Thread: RIP Satori

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

RIP Satori

Looks like Kona has dropped the Satori for 2015. Hate to see this bike go away after only a 3 year life.

I worked for Kona from 1995-2002 and so owned many a Konan bike in my day. The Satori which I got in summer 2012 is the most fun bike I have owned to date, Kona and otherwise. I dropped serious weight on mine by going XX1 and a better wheeler. Mr. T (as I call it) rides better that my Spec Stumpy CarbonFSR and cost half as much and is 3+ pounds heavier. Was hoping Kona would make a carbon version at some point but now no options at all in that platform.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I wondered about that but the Process 111 makes plenty of sense to me based upon owning a Honzo and riding it where and when I've thought I needed 5-6 in of suspension.

Of course Kona also knows what ultimately sells or adds to their bottom line. At my age I've certainly loved some products but the masses haven't so they didn't continue. Sorry if that happened to you here, but you still have a bike you love!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Mr. T has a place in my stable for a long time, I love it. I don't see the ride of the 111 the same as the Satoru, but I may be missing something.

tg
    mtbr member
    I also feel like my Satori is a very special bike.I have owned so many sweet bikes over the last 28 years but The Satori is in the top 2 for sure.It is a "keeper" for me but as of late it is splitting time with my Turner Czar.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RIP Satori-photo-112.jpg  

RIP Satori-downsized_0802131005.jpg  

Nor­wegr
    This is kind of an oddball, but the Hammerhead Thumper uses the same front triangle as the Satori, but has what equates to an FSR/Horst link rear end. The 2014 Cove Hustler is also derived from this.

So in a sense the Satori lives on.
    WTB:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegard View Post
    This is kind of an oddball, but the Hammerhead Thumper uses the same front triangle as the Satori, but has what equates to an FSR/Horst link rear end.
    ^^ I literally came here to post this ^^

The front triangle is exactly the same. From the same frame manufacturer (Caribou) Some (myself included) will argue that the Thumper/Switchback Unveil9 is actually better as it has FSR vs. linkage driven single pivot out back.
    '14 Bronson C
    '12 Tallboy A
    '13 DB Mason 29er/650b+
    '13 SC Juliana 650b'd (wife's)

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Satori was a great under the radar big trail capable 29er - when I demoed and owned - it put a smile on my face unlike no previous bike I'd ever ridden. Took me to a different level of riding bar none. Should have kept it - but sold it to get the next bike.

If i come across a blazing hot deal in the future I could see it in the stable!

Nor­wegr
    Quote Originally Posted by hokiebrett View Post
    ^^ I literally came here to post this ^^

The front triangle is exactly the same. From the same frame manufacturer (Caribou) Some (myself included) will argue that the Thumper/Switchback Unveil9 is actually better as it has FSR vs. linkage driven single pivot out back.

The Transition Bandit also appears to be some kind of open mold Satori.
    Below is some more info I found straight from Hammerhead/Switchback.

Quote Originally Posted by Switchback/Hammerhead

The "Life of the Satori and Thumper frames"

It all started with Kona and Stefan Stark, he is a Design Contractor that works with companies like Kona (and others). He collaborated on the design of the Satori frame. Kona had the concept for what type of frame they wanted the Satori to be, they hired Stefan Stark to execute it.
    Rahmendesign aus Leidenschaft: Fanes-Konstrukteur Stefan Stark im IBC-Interview - MTB-News.de

Stefan Stark also does Design Contracting work for the manufacturers, Caribou is one of his clients. Caribou manufacturers Kona's frames, so after the initial CAD design was finalized, that's when Caribou steps in and works w/ Kona and Stark to get first sample/prototype frames built. Then all 3 of them work through that process and bring the frames to market.

Once the Satori was finalized, Caribou asked Kona if they could offer an open-model frame similar to the Satori. Kona agreed with the stipulation that the rear of the bike had to be designed to not infringe on their design. That's when Caribou went back to Stark
    Design Partner- STS bike design to design a new rear. He came up with the Horst-Link version, the tube shaping, etc.

Kona signed off on it and Caribou was able to offer the frame to Brands that would be interested.

From that point, I have a rundown on how we found and sourced the frame. It is one the Hammerhead Thumper page on our site

Hammerhead Thumper Frame ? 29er | 27.5 | FSR Full-Suspension

We are really excited about the Thumper (and soon to be Switchback Unveil9) frames....they are exactly what I was looking for when deciding to start a Bike Brand.

Please fire away with any other questions you may have....I'm an open book Smile
    About ? 29er | 27.5 | FSR Full-Suspension

Thanks, Scott
    The factory that produces the frames builds the alloy frames for Kona, Pivot, Niner, and Santa Cruz.
    WTB:

mtbr member
    Funny why it has not sold as all who own them seem to love it.
    I've got a '13 that I got late last year on a killer deal
    Upgraded quite a few things but she is pretty heavy at 15kg but I could afford to loose a few kilos myself
    I guess cutting it from the line up just makes our bikes all the more special

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bitflogger View Post
    I wondered about that but the Process 111 makes plenty of sense to me based upon owning a Honzo and riding it where and when I've thought I needed 5-6 in of suspension.

Of course Kona also knows what ultimately sells or adds to their bottom line. At my age I've certainly loved some products but the masses haven't so they didn't continue. Sorry if that happened to you here, but you still have a bike you love!
    The Satori makes a pretty decent 117 as well. I tried mine out with a few spare parts I had lying around. Doesn't suit my terrain but it rode well.
    With a 120mm fork and a 145 x 45 shock[ ex Giant trance x] it drops bb by about 10mm but retains same geometry[ 68 deg HA].On paper it gives 117mm rear wheel travel.
    Last edited by gvs_nz; 08-09-2014 at 02:01 PM.