mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Rear coil shock on Dawg?

Curious if anyone has replaced the rear air shock with a coil. My rear air shock is in need of replacement or repair and I was thinking of replacing it with a coil. I have another bike that has a coil shock on it and I like the feel of it much better. I'm not concerned with weight and have recently put a Z1 Fr up front. Thoughts anyone???

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    I see no reason it would not work as long as you get the proper size.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Just roll it......

I'm running a coil shock on the back of my 2002 Bear.

I found a cheap Vanilla R on ebay for my Bear and sent it to Push immediately, I'm very happy with how well it pedals and it's overall feel. I searched high and low for a Vanilla RC (6.5' x 1.5"), but they were all going for way too much, but a Romic would also be a decent option (if you don't mind having it serviced yearly).

I'm also running a Z1 FR on my Bear and really like the combo.....slightly more cush and a slacker angle make the bike descend unbelievably well. Below's a crappy pic of my setup. BTW, I'd run the coil shock on the progressive (rearward) mounting hole to make it more progressive. I've since moved it back because I was bottoming it pretty hard.....granted, I don't have adjustable compression damping, but still a good thing to do, imo.

Cheers,
    EB
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Hey ebextreme!!!

I saw from the pic that you're running a Vanilla, just curious how much you weigh and what size spring your using with it? I'm about 155 and have a 450# spring. It seems a little soft (too much sag) even though I'm running as little pre load as I can.

you cant handle bars.
    Dec 2004
    if you are looking for a 6.5x1.5 vanilla rc, i have one that i'd sell for a good price. i had it on an old specialized fsr that i no longer own. so its doing me no good.

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by spin
    I saw from the pic that you're running a Vanilla, just curious how much you weigh and what size spring your using with it? I'm about 155 and have a 450# spring. It seems a little soft (too much sag) even though I'm running as little pre load as I can.
    Spin,

I'm pretty sure that I'm running a 600# spring on my Vanilla R. In the buff, I'm about 150 lbs. and prolly closer to 160-165 with all my gear (I usually have a lot of crap in my pack). I'll check when I get home and give you a shout if it's different.

I had a lighter spring on there , but it was bottoming out really hard off drops bigger than a couple of feet. It's obviously now firmer and not as supple on small stuff, but feels much better when doing drops and the like. FYI, I also run it in the progressive shock mount position on the bike.

BTW, you should talk to handlebarsfsr about his shock. If you can get it at a decent price, it would be worth it. Otherwise just go with a Vanilla r and have it pushed. Actually, I'd "Push" both of them either way.

EB

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    I'm thinking about putting a coil (DHX) on my Kikapu, I don't care how much it weighs. Coils are swell!

yeah, uh............bikes

good deals on ebay!

I read this thread a few days ago and just saw some good deals on Ebay. The seller was offering Fox Vanilla R shocks in 500, 600, and 700. I got the 700 cuz I'm ~210 lbs. From all the reviews and posts about springs I think I should be ok. Here's the other shocks.

Just thought I'd share this with everyone (after I bought mine ).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...Name=WDVW&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...Name=WDVW&rd=1

Oh yeah, the shocks are going for $65.00

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    I'm getting a DHX Air now for the warranty replacement Kikapu I got. Those things look sweet, look into that or a regular DHX if you are going coil.

EDIT: If you have an 04 or older I don't know if they make a DHX in a 6.5x1.5.

Quote Originally Posted by Acme54321
    warranty replacement Kikapu
    So Kona finally agreed that it was a crack and not just the finish huh?

Yeah, the DHX looks really nice, I was just lookin for something cheap. I cant' stand the squeaking of my FLOAT anymore, gotta get it Pushed.
    Last edited by FloridaFish; 07-16-2005 at 09:18 AM.

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Yeah, they took care of it. I showed Joe the pictures and he showed them to Ed the warranty guy and they paid for the shipping too. I got a 16" this time instead of a 18, I think its gonna fit me a little better. I just finished building it up today, I got it yesterday. Now all I have left is to get the shock from fox, my boss was supposed to order it Thursday but didn't so hopefully she will do it on Monday.

How's your summer going? Riding any of the trails down south?

Here's a picture of my new frame with my junk on it and a ghetto edited DHX air pasted in, right now there is just a piece of pvc holding the rear triangle up. Only other thing to do is install the lock on grips I ordered, I might also swap out the handlebars for a truvativ one on my GT.
    Last edited by Acme54321; 07-16-2005 at 02:26 PM.

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    I just found this picture. It's kinda funny how that started out as this. Upgrading is fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Acme54321
    How's your summer going? Riding any of the trails down south?
    Summer is going pretty good. I landed an internship really close to where I live so I've been working full time. Forty hours a week sucks, but the money is pretty damn nice. I've been riding as much as I can down here, usually J.D. State Park, Dyer Park, or Quiet Waters. I've made one trip down to Markham to check out those trails, but I haven't gotten down to Oleta yet. The trails are fun down here but after riding Razorback, Santos, and San Felasco, I miss the open space of those rides. Most of the trails down here try to squeeze in as much trail as possible into a small piece of land.

How's summer going for you?

Wow, the Kikapu got beefed up for '05. I looks like the rear triangle has some bigger tubing also, that should be a sweet bike.

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Yeah the 05 frames are alot nicer than 04. The only thing that doesn't look like it changed design from the 04 is the chainstays, but I acually think they are a little thicker. All of the changes to the frame seem to be for the better too.

My summer is going good, I'm working at the bike shop again so thats fun. There aren't any trails worth a crap withing an hours drive though so I haven't been riding much. The fact that my bike has been out of commission for almost 3 weeks now doesn't help either. I can't wait to get back up to Gainesville and have 4 good trails to choose from again.

Got my new shock in yesterday and put it on the bike. Hopefully I'll be able to test it out this weekend to see if the spring is good for me. I think the sag is a bit more than fox recommends and I liked my float to be a bit stiff so I'll probably be shopping for an 800-850 lb. spring.