mtbr member
    Mar 2005

New question here. Questions about the Stinky

ok.... i have a few questions about the stinky.... will a 5th element shock fit on it? what other shocks can u put on it?? i am 5'6 and looking into a stinky what size would u think would fit??? i will be buying a frame sooo i dont know about the sizes...would you think a 17??

thanks alot
    Last edited by dom088; 04-07-2005 at 09:34 PM.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    You need to look at the geometry charts:

The '05 Stinky has been revised so the 17" is the XXL.

The 17" '04 Stinky is a M.

If you go by the S, M, L, XL, XXL sizing the top tube lengths are basically the same from '04 to '05.

Are you buying a used frame? Kona is not offering a Stinky frameset.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    You need to look at the geometry charts:

The '05 Stinky has been revised so the 17" is the XXL.

The 17" '04 Stinky is a M.

If you go by the S, M, L, XL, XXL sizing the top tube lengths are basically the same from '04 to '05.

Are you buying a used frame? Kona is not offering a Stinky frameset.
    used prob a 03 or and 04

http://kona.dk can fill you in on older Konas.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    You can buy new 04 stinky frames from wheelworld.com for like 700. they've got the deluxe and primo too. Ive never gone through them for any parts, so I don't know their reputation though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    im 5'10", 200lbs and i just ordered the 05 small stinky (15" frame)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cobra
    im 5'10", 200lbs and i just ordered the 05 small stinky (15" frame)
    I am 5'7", 160lbs and I am thinking of ordering a medium frame but the diffrence of a small frame vs. a medium is so small that I think that they would both fit me, but since I am used to riding rather big frames I think it will be ok.

ps. I cant wait to get my bike, I have been riding on the same bike since I was 13 (now almost 20) and it is a non suspension bike and it is all fked up.

Quote Originally Posted by odinnn
    I am 5'7", 160lbs and I am thinking of ordering a medium frame but the diffrence of a small frame vs. a medium is so small that I think that they would both fit me, but since I am used to riding rather big frames I think it will be ok.

ps. I cant wait to get my bike, I have been riding on the same bike since I was 13 (now almost 20) and it is a non suspension bike and it is all fked up.
    The medium's TT is nearly an inch long than the small. That can make a big difference in fit.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    The medium's TT is nearly an inch long than the small. That can make a big difference in fit.
    I was battling my self about wheter I should get the medium or the large and picked the medium and now you are telling me this demn it is hard to decide on a frame size when you cant testride, I realy need to think this through again...

edit: 1 inch is 2.54cm witch is realy short, my pinky nail is not even that long, Shiggy do you realy think it could make diffrence?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I havnt seen the small size frame yet but i did sit on the medium. When i stood over it, she was in my crotch and it just didnt feel to good. I decided to take a gamble and order mine in a size small. I think the only difference is the spring rates. The medium is a 500lbs per inch and the small is 450lbs per inch. Im 200lbs so if i need a higher spring rate i will order one later.

I cant wait for my bike either. Im going from a crappy $200 CCM Canadian tire bike to a 05 stinky.

I was battling my self about wheter I should get the medium or the large and picked the medium and now you are telling me this demn it is hard to decide on a frame size when you cant testride, I realy need to think this through again...

edit: 1 inch is 2.54cm witch is realy short, my pinky nail is not even that long, Shiggy do you realy think it could make diffrence?
    You must have REALLY big hands or REALLY long nails. My pinky nail is 10mm long.

Yes, 1 inch can make a huge difference in the fit and ride of a bike. If it did not Kona would not bother to make the Stinky in five sizes. There is a 0.9" (22 mm) difference between the small and medium. The TT gets a half-inch longer (13 mm) with each size after that.

Would you just randomly pick between a 90 mm and 110 mm stem?

Icelander! I was in Iceland in '98 for a horse trek. I loved it there. Want to go back.
    mtbtires.com

I havnt seen the small size frame yet but i did sit on the medium. When i stood over it, she was in my crotch and it just didnt feel to good. I decided to take a gamble and order mine in a size small. I think the only difference is the spring rates. The medium is a 500lbs per inch and the small is 450lbs per inch. Im 200lbs so if i need a higher spring rate i will order one later.

I cant wait for my bike either. Im going from a crappy $200 CCM Canadian tire bike to a 05 stinky.
    The frames are most definitely different sizes. The small is 1" shorter in the TT and has just 0.2" (two tenths of one inch / 5 mm) lower standover. Long travel bikes just do not have much standover clearance. IMO the small is WAY too small for you. The large may be a better choice.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    You must have REALLY big hands or REALLY long nails. My pinky nail is 10mm long..
    I was making it up about the nails, was just trying to make a point

Yes, 1 inch can make a huge difference in the fit and ride of a bike. If it did not Kona would not bother to make the Stinky in five sizes. There is a 0.9" (22 mm) difference between the small and medium. The TT gets a half-inch longer (13 mm) with each size after that.

Would you just randomly pick between a 90 mm and 110 mm stem?

Icelander! I was in Iceland in '98 for a horse trek. I loved it there. Want to go back.
    Why did you have to bring this up? now I cant stop thinking if I should get the medium or not but from the middle of my hip to the front of my knee is 19,6 inches (50cm) so if I get the small my knees would be close to the bar.

Isn't shorter stem a better stem in freeriding?

It is good to know that you like Iceland but it sucks to be a biker here, biking is rather new here and we are few that want to want to race. They race few hardtrail races in the sommer but until now there has only been like 1 or maybe 2 dh races with 10 racersor something. But this sommer there are planed 3 dh races and me and my friend are both going to get Stinky's (hes gonna get the Supreme) and hopefully we will get permision to build some trails in the ski area here in Akureyri.
    Also Iceland is very expencive, the Stinky ($1900) will cost for me imported $2988 I mean thats just stupid.

mtbr member

You will probably need a 550 or 600 lb spring. Im 200lbs and ride a 600 on my stinky, though my big is set up pretty stiff for freeriding. My bike is an 04, but it has seven inches front and back, with a 2:7 stroke to travel ratio.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Well i hope i made the right decision on getting the small cause its too late to change now.So you guys think a 550# or 600# spring would benefit me over the 450#? I weigh right around 200lbs.

mtbr member
    Well i hope i made the right decision on getting the small cause its too late to change now.So you guys think a 550# or 600# spring would benefit me over the 450#? I weigh right around 200lbs.

That depends on your riding style. If you do mostly downhill, you might want something softer that allows you to go through the entire travel more often. Mine (600lb) is set up to have optimum performance on drops, with higher spead damping suffering a little. Also, I don't have the dhx, I ran mine on a Vanilla r and a fifth element.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

well i got her

well here it is, a brand new stock 05 small frame stinky. only test rode her on the street, i love it so far. cant wait to take it in the bush.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    well here it is, a brand new stock 05 small frame stinky. only test rode her on the street, i love it so far. cant wait to take it in the bush.
    demn this bike is so hot, the wait for my bike is unbearable, and I am only waiting for one shirt to complete my order

so how does the rear susp. feel? soft?

what about the fork are you thinking of upgrading?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    well i havnt played with it to much yet, i set my rear shock at 125psi, cranked the tension on the spring (its a 450#) for some reason i cant get air to stay in the front forks? i think im using my fork pump wrong. i probably wont upgrade anything until something brakes or until something bugs me.

mtbr member
    well i havnt played with it to much yet, i set my rear shock at 125psi, cranked the tension on the spring (its a 450#) for some reason i cant get air to stay in the front forks? i think im using my fork pump wrong. i probably wont upgrade anything until something brakes or until something bugs me.
    Ok, I have been sitting here and whatched your bike for about 20 min, cant stop looking at it, so nice.

Its all stock right?
    Would you recommend buying a shock pump to adjust the fork and the rear shock?

I am inlove with the disc brakes

...Would you recommend buying a shock pump to adjust the fork and the rear shock?...
    Yes, you should own a shock pump. I have two: a low pressure pump for my Marzocchi forks and a high pressure pump for the Fox shock.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

yea 2 pumps

yea im new to this whole thing but shiggys right, my pump is 0-400psi, try to use that guage to adjust a few psi, it aint happening.

yea i love my bike. my buddy is picking up the same one but a medium frame. i dont think you can you wrong with the medium either. My knees are kind of close to the handle bars where my seat is adjusted to on the pic above. i raised the seat a bit and slid the seat back an inch or so towards the rear tire.

heres my shock pump, $40 canadian
    Attached Images Attached Images