Darth Nader

Question for Stinky owners

What made you pick the Stinky over other bikes?
    BLOG: http://dirtyrubber.blogspot.com
    Latest entry: 06-13-2005 Annadel Ride

mtbr member

Bang for the buck

Quote Originally Posted by Lighty_
    What made you pick the Stinky over other bikes?
    When I purchased my 2004 Stinky, I was comparing it to two other bikes. I looked at the Specialized Big Hit, which had some nice parts for the price, but had two things I really didn't like. 1)The non dished 24" rear wheel; I know there are plenty of riders out there who love 24" wheels and I'm sure they have good reasons to. But I saw it as a limiting factor for tire and wheel upgrades in the future. 2)I didn't like the single crown Dirt Jumper fork, sure it had almost the same travel and a QR20 axle, but it weighed a ton and just didn't feel as solid. I also did not care for the QR20 set up on Marzocchis (which they have fixed on the 2005's, including on the 2005 Drop Off's). The other bike I looked at was the Rocky Mountain Switch. I liked this bike a lot, but it cost $500 more with virtually the same parts. Yea, I know it has Easton tubing and its made in Canada, but as sentimental as I am for domestic products (Canada is close enough for Domestic), my wallet was more realistic. In the end, I got the Stinky, upgraded the wheels (to XT hubs) and the handlebars (to Easton) and still came out $300 ahead of the Rocky. Besides, everyone I know who ownes a Stinky, loves them so I knew I was getting a solid bike at a great price.

mtbr member
    I don't exactly have a Stinky YET, but, I have done my research. After all other bikes in it's class have been carefuly considered, the Stinky is my winner.
    As Hayduke mentioned, the Big Hit's 24" rear is a huge limiting factor on future upgrades, especially due to the swing arm being 24" specific, you couldn't put a 26 back there if you *needed* to. The BH is spec'd nice(well the Big Hit FSR anyway, the 05 "BIG HIT", is a turd!), but the DJ2 fork and the the Manitou shock leave something to be desired. Whereas the Stinky has the new Fox DHX 3.0 w/ pro-pedal damping, as for the forks, the Drop Off Triple isn't exaclty "great", but better for FR/DH than the DJ2, anyway. And again Hayduke nailed it with his take on the Rocky Mountain; there is no justification for the extra $$$. Buying a Rocky Mountain is like buying a Cannondale, you pay the extra cash due to the name mainly, but also; the handmade attention to detail, body work and paint, these attributes are nice from both manufacturers, but...I mean, the paint still gets all bashed up , you know?, and in the end, the name means diddly-squat. You buy for performance, right?(BTW I own a Cannondale...NEVER again. I could have got a much better spec'd bike for the same price.)
    One thing you should consider: Try asking your LBS if they will swap out the Drop Off Tripple for a Jr T, my LBS will do it for $175 over MSRP. So that brings the price to $2074.99. TRY and find a better Frame/Fork/Component set up for that price!
    Good luck , and let us know what you get!!

Darth Nader
    Hmm..thanks guys. I was actually looking at a leftover 04 Stinky Deelux. The Switch was another one I was considering, but I think you guys have a good point about the price.

Two other brands I was considering were Iron Horse and Norco. I don't like the component choices on Iron Horse's Yakuza line, and they don't make SGS anymore. Anyone have any experience with Iron Horse?

The problem with Norco is they don't have much of a presence where I live.
    BLOG: http://dirtyrubber.blogspot.com
    Latest entry: 06-13-2005 Annadel Ride

mtbr member

DW link rides nice but warranty problems

Quote Originally Posted by Lighty_
    Hmm..thanks guys. I was actually looking at a leftover 04 Stinky Deelux. The Switch was another one I was considering, but I think you guys have a good point about the price.

Two other brands I was considering were Iron Horse and Norco. I don't like the component choices on Iron Horse's Yakuza line, and they don't make SGS anymore. Anyone have any experience with Iron Horse?

The problem with Norco is they don't have much of a presence where I live.
    I had a Hollowpoint XC full suspension bike from Iron Horse (sold it last spring, needed the $). The 2002 model frame broke after 4 months of riding. The 2003 was redesigned and held up well, but took 4 MONTHS to get it! I like the way the DW-link works for XC riding, not sure how it would work for freeriding. The Yakuza looks interesting, but its just a single pivot (BTW-nothing wrong with single pivots, just mentioning that because its not a DW link bike). Anyway, Iron Horse does present a nice bang for the buck, but my findings were that 1)Attention to detail is a bit lacking on the frame, such as paint and welds being a bit inconsistant, 2)I bought mine mail order, big mistake! I had a leaking brake caliper right away and it took Supergo over a month to replace it. If your buying an Iron Horse, make sure there is a dealer in your town since you mostly see them on the net, and 3)It took four months to get a new frame, Iron Horse blamed it on a dock workers strike, but that excuse doesn't get me back on the trail any sooner.

Just my two cents

mtbr member
    I don't have any experience with Iron Horse.
    Norco's seem to be hard to come by in the states, the nearest dealer to me is 120 miles away. There was an LBS that carried Norco for awhile, but the shop dropped the line becuase of customer satisfaction issues. Apparently Norco is a real headache to deal with regarding warranties,(here in the USA anyway, I'm sure its different for our freinds up north.), and after a few years of dealing with horrible Norco reps, they said, "Enoughs, enough!". I should mention, that I do believe Norco to be a fantastic bike, and wanted a VPS Launch for many years, but after the horror stories I've heard and the fact that I would need to drive for 3 hours to get to the closest Norco dealer,(its in the San Fransisco Bay Area, hence the extra hour of drive time, 6 hours at least round trip), I think I 'm going to shy away from Norco for now. Besides, Norco's have a geometry kind of specific to North Shore style slow-technical riding. Kona's(while beeing built and tested at the North Shore), have more of an all-around freeride geometry, which is better suited for me at least in Norcal where there is mostly ski-resort, high speed bombing with the occasional 3-6 foot drop, and/or double, as opposed to the 3" wide, 15' high bridge to 10 foot drop type of stunts common to the Shore. Now maybe your up in Washington State and have better access to the Shore, I don't know, I didn't look, but unless you are I'd still go with the Stinky.