mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Process 153 upgrades?

So i'm a few days from purchasing a Process 153 and have a few bucks (maybe 400+) to spare on upgrades. I think i'll ditch the Maxxis for nobby nic and hans dampf in order to save some weight. I was planning on getting SLX brakes, and a set of flats..

What would you recommend? I'm also looking to save some weight, not only performance!

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Defo swap out the maxxis , save em for an uplift day

Easiest way to save some weight is ditch the front mech shifter and stick on a narrow wide single ring

Brakes also worth upgrading and cheap cassette and maybe the s1000 cranks though I'm not sure how much they weigh they are a bit flexy

Ks seat post isn't the lightest and I'm not convinced by it anyway personally I'd swap it for a reverb from new

Only other way to save weight would be indescending order of price and weight savings wheels (light-bicycle?) carbon cranks or carbon bars

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kimbers View Post
    Defo swap out the maxxis , save em for an uplift day

Easiest way to save some weight is ditch the front mech shifter and stick on a narrow wide single ring

Brakes also worth upgrading and cheap cassette and maybe the s1000 cranks though I'm not sure how much they weigh they are a bit flexy

Ks seat post isn't the lightest and I'm not convinced by it anyway personally I'd swap it for a reverb from new

Only other way to save weight would be indescending order of price and weight savings wheels (light-bicycle?) carbon cranks or carbon bars
    Kimbers thanks for the reply.

I've never tried a single chainring. My trails often require me using the granny gear since it can get steep sometimes. How much do you compromise on the uphill running a single ring?

I'm thinking that with the tires, shifter, cassette I can shave almost a kg.

Cheers!

mtbr memeber
    Anyone else have any recommendations on tires that would be more climbing friendly while still being able to grip somewhat?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    ive got a 30t raceface narrow wide

not dropped the chain once without a top guide and I cant see myself getting one

the 30t with an 11-36 cassette has been hard work but ive not failed to make any climb yet even on some big welsh mountain rides

the only problem is that I have spun out going down big fast fire road descents

when Im a bit fitter might try a 32 or even 34t with a 40t cassette adapter like the one from Hope

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Does any 153A kona bike owner have weight specs on components for example, bars, stem?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Your buying a mini downhill bike and are worried about saving weight by installing xc tires? I think you are missing the point of this bike. It will never be fast going up. Don't comprimise its strengths looking to lose a couple of grams.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotth72 View Post
    Your buying a mini downhill bike and are worried about saving weight by installing xc tires? I think you are missing the point of this bike. It will never be fast going up. Don't compromise its strengths looking to lose a couple of grams.
    replacing the tires would be considered compromise since I would be downgrading, but placing lighter hubs, lighter bars, or other components wouldn't necessarily be considered compromise, since you are just making it lighter, and not "softer" or less stiff.

Even though the bike is a mini DH, I still need to pedal up, so I thought using lighter components would ease the uphill. Please correct me if i'm wrong, but using carbons bars or lighter hubs doesn't compromise its capabilities? I'm guessing you have more experience and knowledge than me!

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ildottore46 View Post
    Does any 153A kona bike owner have weight specs on components for example, bars, stem?
    134 DL (but same components?)
    Handlebar: 350g
    Stem: 160g
    Grips: 100g

(Complete 134 DL (s: large) w/o pedals: 14190g)
    Last edited by tollef; 03-12-2014 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Bike weight + grips

mtbr memeber
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotth72
    Your buying a mini downhill bike and are worried about saving weight by installing xc tires? I think you are missing the point of this bike. It will never be fast going up. Don't comprimise its strengths looking to lose a couple of grams.
    Though an Enduro class bike can stand in for a downhill bike, it lacks aspects of a real downhill bike.

I just experimented with tires myself. I moved the 2.3 HR2 to the front and put a 2.25 Ardent on the back. Made a huge difference. A spring scale said it's about 1/2 lb less. With the original tires I could feel the bike rolling slower on slight downhills compared with less aggressive tires and pedaling up was sluggish. With the Ardent on the back the bike rolls much more like an average trail bike. I wouldn't call it fast uphill but it's not sapping so much energy to go up at a decent pace. I wonder if the rearward body centering position with the short stem takes weight off the front tire compared to a traditional xc bike, so that higher rolling resistance at the front matters less?
    Last edited by jpre; 03-12-2014 at 09:51 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jpre View Post
    Just because an Enduro class bike can stand in for a downhill bike, it lacks aspects of a real downhill bike.

I just experimented with tires myself. I moved the 2.3 HR2 to the front and put a 2.25 Ardent on the back. Made a huge difference. A spring scale said it's about 1/2 lb less. With the original tires I could feel the bike rolling slower on slight downhills compared with less aggressive tires and pedaling up was sluggish. With the Ardent on the back the bike rolls much more like an average trail bike. I wouldn't call it fast uphill but it's not sapping so much energy to go up at a decent pace. I wonder if the rearward body centering position with the short stem takes weight off the front tire compared to a traditional xc bike, so that higher rolling resistance at the front matters less?
    I think that the whole reason why all mt/enduro bikes have become more and more popular is for the fact that they are very capable bikes when going downhill, and are not that sluggish as they used to be when going uphill. Think about it, wouldn't your dream bike be one that absolutely shreds downhill and is light enough to pedal up with ease?

Anyways those are my 2 cents, I may be wrong...

cheers!