mtbr member

Process 153 as Cove STD replacement?

Last fall, I built up a Cove STD, and have been loving it. It charges chunder and freeride lines with confidence-inspiring ease, and the CCDBa CS makes it pedal admirably well. Even so, there is a limit to how how sprightly a 38lb bike can feel on trail.

All the rave reviews of the Process 153 have me wondering if I should look at trading in my STD while it still has value. Lighter weight and 27.5 wheels make sense for the riding I regularly do, I'm just wondering how much FR/DH capability I will give up?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by hankthespacecowboy View Post
    Last fall, I built up a Cove STD, and have been loving it. It charges chunder and freeride lines with confidence-inspiring ease, and the CCDBa CS makes it pedal admirably well. Even so, there is a limit to how how sprightly a 38lb bike can feel on trail.

All the rave reviews of the Process 153 have me wondering if I should look at trading in my STD while it still has value. Lighter weight and 27.5 wheels make sense for the riding I regularly do, I'm just wondering how much FR/DH capability I will give up?
    I sold my old SC Bullit and got a 153dl to ride as a trail bike and at parks. I've only taken it to Whitefish, which is not as gnarly as Fernie or Pano can be, but the bike was great. It is super capable. I didn't feel like the bike held me back much compared to an 8 inch travel bike. This drop felt good (it's not huge or anything) but it left me feeling like the bike could go bigger with no problems.

For me, the Process really does it all. With the platform on the rear shock, I make it up all my local climbs with ease on a 1x10 drivetrain. It flies down hill, I have a hard time believing it's only 160mm sometimes!

mtbr member
    Good to hear! I would say only about 20% of my riding (or less) utilizes the full travel & burl of the STD. Most of my rides are a lot of trail pedaling, with an emphasis on getting rowdy on the downs. Thinking the 153 could strike a better balance for me.