mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Is the Process 134 too much bike for me?

I currently ride an '04 Specialized Stumpy Expert fsr. Lately I've had new bike fever and I had always thought I would get a new Stumpy when the time came to get a new bike.... that is until I saw the prices on a new Stumpy Expert. Have they lost their minds!?
    I started searching around and saw some reviews of the Process 134. I was intrigued and love the looks of the bike. I went to my local Kona dealer and asked about it and he (a die hard roadie) thought the Process was way too much of a bike for this area (North Texas). It's true we don't have any white knuckle downhills in the area but we do have plenty of roots and rock gardens.
    The rock gardens on my favorite trails toss me and my 100mm travel Stumpy around like a rag doll so I need some opinions.
    The dealer has a Precept DL that I plan to demo, hopefully that will answer many questions.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Before you pull any triggers make sure you go to Pricepoint and look up Kona bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tacrac View Post
    Before you pull any triggers make sure you go to Pricepoint and look up Kona bikes.
    It's only 5 models and they're odd sizes.

To the question at hand, I've never been to North Texas, but the 134 is a fantastic trail bike. It is a bit portly though coming in around 30lbs.

The dealer has a Precept DL that I plan to demo, hopefully that will answer many questions.
    This is a 29er (EDIT: 27.5...I can't read) with a different suspension design (still linkage driven single pivot) but I would caution using it as a guide for the 134. The key difference is the geometry. The 134 is a totally different beast.

And no offense to the shop owner, but the Precept has 130/140 travel. It's the same as the Process 134! And that isn't too much bike?
    Last edited by kubikeman; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:26 AM.
    The cake is a lie.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I've checked out the PricePoint bikes and the Process is the 2013 model. I'm really looking at either a '14 or '15.

The Precept does have 27.5 wheels. I know the rear suspension is different but I was hoping they would be somewhat similar. I thought that if I really enjoyed the Precept the Process would be even better. I haven't been able to find a Process in my area that I can demo.

The shop owner thinks the Precept is too much also. He thinks anything over 120mm of travel is worthless. Like I said he's a roadie. He's a nice guy just strange. Back when I was shopping for my first hard tail front suspension was just beginning to appear, he thought it was a fad so I went to another shop in town and bought a bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by goldrush View Post
    I've checked out the PricePoint bikes and the Process is the 2013 model. I'm really looking at either a '14 or '15.

The Precept does have 27.5 wheels. I know the rear suspension is different but I was hoping they would be somewhat similar. I thought that if I really enjoyed the Precept the Process would be even better. I haven't been able to find a Process in my area that I can demo.

The shop owner thinks the Precept is too much also. He thinks anything over 120mm of travel is worthless. Like I said he's a roadie. He's a nice guy just strange. Back when I was shopping for my first hard tail front suspension was just beginning to appear, he thought it was a fad so I went to another shop in town and bought a bike.
    You're right! Looks like I failed the reading comprehension part of the test.

This guy is funny. I used to work at a LBS and the owner was a roadie too. When I ordered 2.3 minion front tire, he asked my why I wanted "downhill" tires for my trail bike.

I think you're on the right track. The bikes have the same wheel size and suspension travel. Good luck with the test ride.
    The cake is a lie.

mtbr member
    Precept DL has very similar geo to the Process 134. Similar TT length, SO, and HTA. It should be an excellent demo ride.

Personally, I think 120mm-140mm is the sweet spot for all around trail ripping. I destroy plenty of smaller travel bikes, even on buff trails. Relaxed geo = more confidence/fun and more confidence/fun leads to faster riding. You can crush lines that guys on the sub 25lb 4" bikes will be slow on, unless they are seriously skilled (i.e pros).

All season long I was very competitive in sport/expert level XC racing, and I was riding a 30 lb, 1x10, dropper post equipped 140/130 trail bike with 26 x 2.35 wheels/tires. I recently moved up to a Specialized Enduro (170/160) that's also 30-lb and 1x10. I've set some PR's and top tens on a bunch of climbs and descents in the past few weeks (late season fitness helps, too, I'm sure.)

My two pennies. Demo it. If you like the Precept DL, you will like the Process 134. The Process is just more polished, with some better parts. I think eithe rone makes an excellent trail bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    precept rides easily as good and maybe better than the process 134 in an all round pedaling kinda way. the simpler swing link of the precept just works really well.

i'm a shop guy and sell kona and would take the precept over the process 134 any day.

with a few upgrades the precept would be the one.

rog

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Thanks for the replies you've answered my question. I'm looking forward to demoing the precept.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    The process 134 is a great all around trail bike. As others mentioned it is a bit heavy, but Kona is known to make burly reliable gear at the expense of weight weenie numbers. Super smooth trail may be a bit boring in some ways, but will be able to handle anything you could throw at it.
    If the trails really are that uninteresting near you and you don't tend to travel to rougher trails you could probably have a lot of fun on something like the Hanzo(playful 29er HT) as well.

Try to ride them all and get what speaks to you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by warimono View Post
    The process 134 is a great all around trail bike. As others mentioned it is a bit heavy, but Kona is known to make burly reliable gear at the expense of weight weenie numbers. Super smooth trail may be a bit boring in some ways, but will be able to handle anything you could throw at it.
    If the trails really are that uninteresting near you and you don't tend to travel to rougher trails you could probably have a lot of fun on something like the Hanzo(playful 29er HT) as well.

Try to ride them all and get what speaks to you.
    the precept is much more fun to pedal than the process in the smoother boring stuff as well.

rog

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I just bought a Process 134, upgrading from my 2009 Gary Fisher Hi-Fi (120mm travel) bike. I liked my Hi-Fi, but I LOVE my Process for better climbing, descending and overall confidence. Due to the slacker geometry, it did take a bit (15 mins) to figure out the best way to cut up the tight switchbacks that I ride here in the PACNW, but after that it was pure bliss. Going from a cross country bike to the 134 really was not a big deal at all while ascending. However, the difference in confidence while descending, rolling logs and roots, and just going faster is really amazing for me. I feel so much more confident and way faster. This bike also is very playful, not riding like a 30lb bike. In fact, I can easily keep up with my buddy who just bought a s-works stumpy with carbon 29" rims.

I am very happy with this bike and do not think twice about the longer travel and slacker geo being a hindrance when pointing the bike uphill. Everywhere else I am much faster and more confident as well, which equals much more fun.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I test rode the Precept and liked it. I rode through a rock garden that has a pucker factor on my Specialized and the precept handled the rocks a lot better. Found a gently used 2014 Process for a killer price so I jumped on it!