Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Process 134/134DL Thread

322K views 1K replies 184 participants last post by  Sam Handwich 
#1 ·
I figured since there was a 111 thread, I'd start the 134 thread.

I just finished demoing the 134DL. I took the bike to my local bike park (Snow Summit in So Cal) and had a full day of runs. My initial parking lot/street test was promising. The uber low standover on the large was nice, and I had mo problem getting way behind the seat for the steep stuff.

Not until I got to the park that I noticed the frame was a bit flexy, and I noticed this quite a bit on the runs.

What little climbing I did was aided a lot by the compression damping on the rear shock. There was quite a bit of bob when it wasn't on.

Descending the steep and loose stuff was excellent. I felt more confident than my trail bike and looked forward to it. I'll be honest, it was quite under gunned for the park, but I still enjoyed it. I only bottomed out once when I took a jump a little too big, but it was not a bad ride overall.

In conclusion, I'd say this would make a really good, fun trail bike. I wouldn't use it for dedicated all mountain or enduro riding, though. Hopefully the 153 frame is stouter and less flexy. If it is, it will be a winner.

See less See more
#33 ·
Here's my '14 Kona Process 134DL - Just made a few changes from the stock build..
Hadley Hubs, Made the wheels tubelsss, Raceface narrow wide, 1x10 with Sram X9 clutch derailuer, swapped out the red accents on the dropper post with Blue..
I'l be adding Spank Spike bearlcaw stem and bars.. Weighs in at 30.01lbs after these changes.
Overall this is a super fun playful bike. Sold my Giant Trance (which I also love) to give this a try.. Different bikes, but both are fun and playful. No regrets with this change. Go out and test ride, you'll agree.

#35 ·
My Kona 134dl

Had this bike for a bit more than a month now and it is just so much fun. It climbs a lot better than I thought it would and I have done 70km rides on it easy! But where the bike really stands out is is when things goes downhill and the short back end just wants to be flicked around and the handling is very nippy and easy to push hard through corners.

Attachments

#98 ·
Had this bike for a bit more than a month now and it is just so much fun. It climbs a lot better than I thought it would and I have done 70km rides on it easy! But where the bike really stands out is is when things goes downhill and the short back end just wants to be flicked around and the handling is very nippy and easy to push hard through corners.
Do you know the difference with the flows compared to the stock wtb i23's?? I ask b/c there is not much weight difference.

#107 · (Edited)
Process 134!

The final piece of the puzzle (a DB Air CS--it fits, but juuuuust barely) finally came in today!

edit:
Process 134 size S
Industry Nine Enduro Wheels, High Roller II Tires
Pike @140mm
DB Air CS (modification of climb switch required--hits cables on downtube)
Reverb Stealth 125mm
XT Brakes, Crank, Pedals
Wolf Tooth 30t Chainring
XX1 Cassette, Derailleur, Chain, Shifter

#958 ·
It's in exactly the forum and thread I want, Kona > Process 134. I want to know if anyone has tried it on their Kona Process 134. I know it works on other frames that's why i asked here. Do i need to edit my post so you understand I'm not asking a general question about 26+ but rather specifically asking about 26+ on a Kona Process 134?

#4 · (Edited)
It was a combination of everything. The wheels contributed the most to it, but the frame wasn't free of blame
What do you normally ride? Just curious what you are comparing it to...
I normally ride a Trek fuel EX, and that thing is really flexy. It is stiffer than my frame, but still could be better. I rode my buddy's Knolly Endo and that thing was solid.

It is also worth noting that I am a big guy (240). The flex might not be as much of an issue for other riders. A buddy I ran into at the parking lot also noticed the flex, but he's not a normal rider, he's really hard on his bikes.

#3 ·
Not until I got to the park that I noticed the frame was a bit flexy, and I noticed this quite a bit on the runs.
What little climbing I did was aided a lot by the compression damping on the rear shock. There was quite a bit of bob when it wasn't on.
What do you normally ride? Just curious what you are comparing it to...

#5 ·
I spent around 25 km on the base model and maybe 6 km on the DL. Solid trail bikes. Confident climber which handles technical climbing with ease. Stay seated and spin or power up anything. Takes a bit of adjustment when you stand up to pedal but it only took a few minutes for me to get used to the cockpit when standing.
Great descending bike which feels like a bit more than 134 mm travel. Really rewards a playful descender who uses features as launch pads and is more interested in the fun way down and not necessarily the fastest way. Didnt bottom out once and I tried. I'm very particular about my set up and usually run a few psi firmer I'm 180 and didn't notice any flex. Not a huge fan of calling this an "Enduro" bike as its one of the most balanced bikes I have ever ridden. The proper term I would use to classify this bike is

wait for it...

A mountain bike.;)

Few disclaimers... I am a Kona dealer and love the brand and I much prefer 29 inch wheels but overall I could easily use the 134 as my everyday trail bike.
For comparison I have spent a lot of time on the Satori, Big Unit, Explosif and a bit of time on the Hei Hei platform. Current bike is the 111 and Big Unit Bottom line...Good spec, good price... should be a winner.

#7 ·
I had these same thoughts. Also, I wonder what the tire pressure was, if anybody checked spoke tension, etc. I've heard people complain that bikes have too much flex when it was really something small that was overlooked either during the build or before the ride.

#8 ·
I never said that this was the idea bike for a park. Tire pressure was fine for me, not too high or low.

Also I mentioned that there was some flex in the wheels, but not everything was attributed to it.

I'll say it again, this bike was undergunned for a park, even through this park was relatively tamed compared to others. As a trail bike that pedals? It would be excellent. With the compression damping on, I had no problem climbing.

I never said it wasn't a bad bike, just pointing out that I found it flexy

#11 ·
I'm new to trial/mtn biking and looking for some advice on the Process 134 DL. I want to know the weight and hopefully it's under 30 lbs? The cost is $3599 and seems expensive for an alloy frame considering carbon frames are becoming more popular. I have also been considering the Devinci Troy low-end models RC and XP, Ghost Riot AMR Lector 5, and Rocky Mountain Altitude 750.

Here are the 134 DL reviews: Test Kona Process 134 Deluxe 2014 and Kona's 2014 Process: a Bike Magazine Blueprint Exclusive and First Look: Prototype 2014 Kona Process 153 - Pinkbike

Any comments or suggestions? Thanks

#12 ·
I'm new to trial/mtn biking and looking for some advice on the Process 134 DL. I want to know the weight and hopefully it's under 30 lbs? The cost is $3599 and seems expensive for an alloy frame considering carbon frames are becoming more popular. I have also been considering the Devinci Troy low-end models RC and XP, Ghost Riot AMR Lector 5, and Rocky Mountain Altitude 750.

Here are the 134 DL reviews: Test Kona Process 134 Deluxe 2014 and Kona's 2014 Process: a Bike Magazine Blueprint Exclusive and First Look: Prototype 2014 Kona Process 153 - Pinkbike

Any comments or suggestions? Thanks
I demoed both the Process 134DL and the Troy this past weekend. I weighed the Process (medium) at the bike shop at exactly 30 lbs with average weight metal flat pedals. The Troy (medium) weighed in at 28.1 lbs with the same flat pedals.

#17 ·
Thanks Barch. I'm the same exact height and inseam and ordered a medium 134DL so I hope I like the fit. The Troy is interesting though, I'd lean towards builging an aluminum Troy if I were to go that way but since I have dough on a Process I think I'm stuck that way. How did the process wheelie and manual? I'm not great at either but it makes life easier if the bike does it well.

#19 ·
I think you (and I) are going to be fine wit the Medium. The only significant difference between the Medium and the Large is the TT is .6 inches longer, the wheel base is 1.3 inches longer and the reach is 1 inch longer. When you get your bike, let me know what you think.

I can't comment on doing a wheelie or a manual as these moves are not exactly in my present repertoire; however, I did find it easier (as compared to my Satori) to unweight (lift) up the front wheel when peddling over large roots and rolling through the gnarl.

Do you have a link to the complete review by Tink a All Mountain rider?

#18 ·
Here's a good review I found here;

I wish I got mine as fast :(
This is encouraging though, my favorite AM bike of all time was my old Firebird, I just don't need quite that much theses days as I have a 12' Operator for bigger stuff.

Here's Tink's review of the 134DL

Submitted by Tink a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2013

Strengths: Great handling on the ground and in the air. Smart spec build. Dialed geometry.

Weaknesses: None, especially at this price.

Bottom Line:
"Playful" is the best word to describe this bike. It is the most fun bike I have owned. The combination of short (16.7") chainstays, long top tube (24.8"), stubby stem (40mm), 68 degree head angle, and of course, 27.5" wheels all contribute to the way this bike dances down the trail. Kona got this bike right! It descends faster and, according to Strava, is just as quick uphill than my Yeti 575. The 5.25" rear travel feels more like 6.5" with the beefy rear triangle and Monarch RT rear shocks progressiveness. The Rockshox Revelation RL solo air 140 forks are stiff and supple. I've ridden Fox suspension for the last 9 years but the new Rockshox equipment is just as good so far. Point and shoot this bike at speed and it will save you if you mess up. I've always been impressed with Shimano SLX components. They are reliable and easily replaceable. The 760mm Kona bars are a bit heavy and a little wide for me. They will probably get swapped out to save some weight. The components are well thought out to keep the price down without sacrificing performance. I will gladly accept the 31.5 lbs weight at this price and the sake of durability. I've had this bike less than a month but all I can think about is riding it. It is a true love affair.
Expand full review >>

Favorite Trail: Brown Mtn / El Prieto

Price Paid: $3600.00

Purchased At: Montrose Bike Shop,

Similar Products Used: This is unlike any bike I have ridden. For me it best compares to the Pivot Firebird (awesome bike). I have owned an 09 Yeti 575, 04 Titus Switchblade, and 01 GT iDrive. I have demo'd many bikes from full rigid 29ers to 8" travel downhillers.

Bike Setup: SLX/XT drivetrain. Rockshox Revelation RL solo air forks, Rockshox Monarch RT shock. Maxxis Ardent tires.
KONA BIKES | 2014 BIKES | ENDURO | PROCESS 134 DL
Reviews 1 - 1 (1 Reviews Total)
Review Options: Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

#29 ·
I should be trying out a P134DL this weekend....unfortunately they won't let me take it offroad, so I'll have to take it round the block. It will at least let me get a feel for the size. I'm probably more interested in the P111 but they are not available yet. I'll take some shots.

#31 ·
Custom Build Process 134 DL

Here's my Process 134 DL. Feels like more than 134mm. :thumbsup:Ride report to follow...

Wheels
- Front: Derby 40mm Carbon rim laced to Hadley hub
- Rear: Flow EX rim laced to Hadley hub

Tires
- Front: High Roller II 2.3 EXO, TR, 3C
- Rear: Ardent 2.25 EXO

Fork
- X Fusion Velvet 140mm

Drivetrain
- SLX Crank w e13 Guide Ring 38t
- 10sp Saint shifter/Deralleur
- 11-36t SLX Cassette

Brakes
- XT Front 203mm
- XT Rear 180mm

Cockpit
- Bar: Race Face Atlas 785mm
- Stem: Loaded 45mm

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.