Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    fnInt(1/x^2,x,0,1)

Process 111/111 DL Thread

News, pics, reviews of the new 2014 Process 111/111 DL here!

I'm seriously considering one, but would love to hear how others are finding the ride. Climbing performance against the descending prowess - can it really do both well?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Test rode one for a maybe 10 kms Climbs ok... But holy sheet when you point it down... Super playful going down and eats up bumps well beyond its relatively small 111mm of travel. Long top tube and short stem makes it somewhat awkward for standing climbing. Seated it climbs pretty well. I just received my dl and I will ride it a few times then be switching to a 32 or even a 30 ring so I can climb steep stuff. The base model with 1 x 10 wouldnt work as well for me but if you have fire road or staright forward climbing it should be good.
    When I get some more time on my new ride I will report back.
    Last edited by yahsper; 09-25-2013 at 05:27 PM.

mtbr member
    My PROCESS 111 DL size L :
    12,48kgrs without pedals.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    How did you get a pink one? Super cool.

mtbr member
    I had the frame repainted

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Where did you get the decal kit?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Mt seat post failed last night. Need to re-cut the housing and get a new cable. Bike is amazing though. Getting used to climbing it. Just got a 32 tooth ring for the front which should make things a bit easier. I may end up with a 30 at some point.
    Handle bar is a bit wide for me so thats getting a slight chop. The bike is crazy fast going down...just sucks up everything. It really does feel like more than 111mm. Really loving it.

fnInt(1/x^2,x,0,1)
    Anything more you can tell is about the climbing ability? Seated and standing?

I'm more of a climber but have been improving my descending and general technical riding ability, so I'm wondering how much of my ability to climb will be muted by the suspension action of this bike.

Currently riding a DB Mason HT with a 150mm Pike and I have really come to enjoy the slack headtube angle, descending and ascending. However I know an FS bike like this could be even more fun...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by fleanutz View Post

I'm more of a climber but have been improving my descending and general technical riding ability, so I'm wondering how much of my ability to climb will be muted by the suspension action of this bike.

Currently riding a DB Mason HT with a 150mm Pike and I have really come to enjoy the slack headtube angle, descending and ascending. However I know an FS bike like this could be even more fun...
    If you already are climbing on your current set up you will have no problem with the process. Seated climbing is fine and I don't touch the shock but when I stand I flick the switch.
    I did some steeper climbs where I had to stand and I'm getting more used to the geometry. Still need to cut my bars which will help me a bit .
    Just switched to a 32 tooth ring so a few steeper climbs should be easier.
    I'm taking it on a big xc ride this morning to see what its like on my ol hardtail trails.

mtbr member
    I can compare my PROCESS 111DL with my SATORI and with my HONZO:
    The PROCESS is the happy medium between the SATORI and the HONZO during the rises.
    It is close to the SATORI in adhesion and in motricity.
    It is close to the HONZO in dynamism and in explodability.
    In the very stiff rises, it is more effective than the SATORI because the suspension of subsides less and thus the bike gets rid of the ballast from less front.
    In the breakable rises with many of the small rocks, it is less effective than the SATORI because the suspension is firmer and generates a little less adhesion.
    In brief, the PROCESS behaves in the rises as a good bike of XC.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I know its not all about the numbers game but for comparisons does anyone have the frame weight and BB height for one of these (large preferably )

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I ride my friend's Satori last weekend on some of the more challenging trails around here. It performed great, up and down. I also just built up a Honzo and will take it out tomorrow for it's first trail ride. The process line really intrigues me but I am leaning towards the 154.

Baby Bear is in the house
    Quote Originally Posted by boude View Post
    I can compare my PROCESS 111DL with my SATORI and with my HONZO:
    The PROCESS is the happy medium between the SATORI and the HONZO during the rises.
    It is close to the SATORI in adhesion and in motricity.
    It is close to the HONZO in dynamism and in explodability.
    In the very stiff rises, it is more effective than the SATORI because the suspension of subsides less and thus the bike gets rid of the ballast from less front.
    In the breakable rises with many of the small rocks, it is less effective than the SATORI because the suspension is firmer and generates a little less adhesion.
    In brief, the PROCESS behaves in the rises as a good bike of XC.
    What's "motricity?"
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by fleanutz View Post

Climbing on the 111 DL seated or standing is on par with other bikes in this category. Very little rear end movement out of the saddle. The long front center works and it doesn't feel odd at all with the short stem. I've climbed the Mc Gill trail in So Cal twice, up to Mt Lukens via Haines canyon once and several climbs in the Verdugo's. I consider myself a strong climber but I switched the ring to a 30t. I sold one to a customer on his XL 111 Dl and we outfitted his with a 28t. Kick ass descender. I switched to a joystick Digger bar with a 25mm rise. I am having trouble using all the rear travel. I have it set up at 30% sag, and ride hard but can't get that last 10mmout of it, even when jumping. I'll play some more with the air. great bike. I love it! mine is 29.5 pounds with XT pedals.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I've ridden the carbon hei hei and it's almost too good. amazing xc machine that doesn't svck in the techy. does the 111 dl climb almost as well, but absolutely crush the hei hei in tech and descending? is the hei hei so much better on the up and can it hang reasonably well in the other stuff compared to the 111?

rog

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    i believe this is the new bike that is getting lost in the 650b hype and i've spoken to more than 1 rider that have demoed it - and bought it because it rocked. these same riders also demoed the 650b bikes. I currently own a Satori and have demoed the 153 in moab a couple weeks back. i've LOVED my satori - and it does everything amazingly well - with a bias toward dh for sure - but yet still really climbs well and is quite nimble with its great geo. The 153 was like jumping on my satori - but even easier to ride up, over and down everything - i little less tanky than the satori - maybe some of that smaller wheel size was felt in picking a line and dancing thru stuff versus point and shoot over stuff. i'm keen to see and ride one of these none the less. Keep the reviews and impressions coming - thanks Kona for the awesome bikes they've engineered over the past couple years!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I took the Process 111 out for a demo today. First of all, it is HEAVY...could stand a diet in the wheel and tire department. Second...heavy wheels and all it fVcking RIPS! i didnt set any strava records with it, but ,man that thing handles like its on rails. I think if I had one more day to ride it and dial it in I would be killing it on the descent and probably equally fast on the climbs as my XC bike. I am buying one FO' SHO' !!!

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    great review...must try one....thanks eurospek

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Sound like a fully suspended Honzo!

noob
    Apr 2009
    I demoed the DL version (in XL) yesterday, on an hour ride in South Orange County.

Unfortunately the dropper was broken, the bike shop is having a tremendously bad time with adjusting the demo droppers for various rider heights. I saw this same problem highlighted in the Pinkbike review. For a single rider this probably won't be an issue, set it once and forget it. Because it was broken, the shop set it at an 'average' height for me.

Coming from my '10 Stumpy FSR 29er, the climbing proved to be really rough. It was a combination of the 1x11 gearing (.8 vs .6 ratio), the slacker head angle, and lower seat; but I wore myself out on some steep climbs that I'd normally spin up. With a proper seat height and a 32 tooth, I think it would be fine.

Which is good, because on the flats and downhill, this thing just lit up! It made my Stumpy feel like a tank. I was popping over everything, super stable at speed. It tracked excellent through the little bit of tight single track this ride provided, although a very tight switch back was barely cleared. A loose and steep section was a breeze, I felt super confident and comfortable for a first ride.

Unfortunately I think the DL is over my budget, so I'd like to get out on the non-DL version. I would definitely have to do something about the gearing, probably a 30 tooth just to match low end with the 1x11. I'd also like to see if it's still as stiff and lively with the heavier weight of the non-DL version (wheels especially).

I'm 6'6" 200lbs btw, geometry felt great when I was up off the seat, will have to get a demo with a working dropper to really see how she climbs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    no worries, nice feedback, thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    So, I picked up the large size on Friday after taking the XL out on a demo last weekend. For the record I am 6'3" with a 35" inseam. The large has the same effective top tube as the large Honzo I used to own, which was the best feeling bike I had owned to date. I immediately took it to the garage and swapped the wheels for some custom wheels I had built with Arch-EX rims, Hope front hub and White industries rear hub with Schwalbe tires. Saved a bunch of rolling weight over the stock wheels and tires. Not sure how much, but a significant change. Also changed the 34 tooth chainring for a 32 tooth and removed the stupid chainguide. lastly, I swapped the 40mm stem for a 50mm. The stock KS internal post has major issues, so the shop loaned me a Crank bros. dropper until a Reverb stealth comes in. I rode about 20 miles on Saturday just trying to dial it in with shock pressure and settings. Felt very good, but not "just right". After some tinkering Saturday night I took it back out on Sunday and just fell in love with it. It is an amazingly capable bike for a "short travel" 29er. The 111mm feels like much more when needed, but not "too much" when climbing. I have grown to hate the feeling of a long travel bike, but I still love to hang it out on the descent. This thing fits the bill perfectly. with the changes I made, it feels close to an XC bike on the climbs and flats and rips the descent almost like an all-mountain bike. is it the best climber? Not really. but it is no slouch either. Is it as capable as a six inch all-mountain bike on the descent??? Probably not, But it splits the difference so well I could not ask for more. I had so much fun on this thing over the weekend, I am seriously considering calling in sick on wednesday to ride some more before the snow comes. If you like to ride up AND down the mountain, this is a GREAT bike. It is just plain fun to ride. As a frame of reference I consider myself an XC rider that loves to go downhill as fast as possible. I live and ride in beautiful Bend, Oregon and I have been riding a 2012 Kona Hei Hei with a 120mm fork for the past two years.

P.S. the Process is so good, I am selling the Hei Hei.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Process 111/111 DL Thread-imag0127.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    ^^^^^^selling hei hei for the 111 and are an xc rider. thank you for yer input. I was thinking the same thing

rog

mtbr member
    Anyone else notice in the kona site pics on the top tube where it says "process 111" it also has an "a" ....does this mean there will be a "c" at some point?

Really looking hard at this bike as a full suspension complement to my N9...

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast