Page 1 of 57 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 1412
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    44

    Post your Kona's!(and introduce yourself)

    Doug Here, Do my riding in Southern Indiana,I've got a 2002 Chute,2002 Stinky Primo, And a 2003 Dawg
    pic of Stinky(Now has 2003 super-t,Evil SRS,Sram)


    Gotta resize Chute and Dawg pics
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    44

    ... and if we just ... And my Chute and Dawg

    **********
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DMay; 01-08-2004 at 06:41 PM.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    44
    One pic at a time dammit
    Attached Images Attached Images

  4. #4
    Rip
    Rip is offline
    Broken
    Reputation: Rip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    417

    It's not done yet but...

    My 2003 Kona Stuff:
    Attached Images Attached Images

  5. #5
    I never walk the Dawg
    Reputation: Jax Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    53

    The Dawg

    Randy here in North Florida, My Second Dawg, well third if you count my four legged one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  6. #6
    Harrumph
    Reputation: G-reg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,570

    My K

    The 03 Scrap, with a Z1, Diabalous stem, Avid Mechs/XT levers(the best!), and Kujos.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  7. #7
    Rip
    Rip is offline
    Broken
    Reputation: Rip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    417
    Quote Originally Posted by G-reg
    The 03 Scrap, with a Z1, Diabalous stem, Avid Mechs/XT levers(the best!), and Kujos.
    Looks good.

  8. #8
    the catalan connection
    Reputation: What&son's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,244

    Anyone has a ī04 Explosif ?

    If so, how do you like it? Got pics?

  9. #9
    the catalan connection
    Reputation: What&son's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,244

    Excellent, Sir ! Time for questionnaire....

    You can bolt a derailleur back there, donīt you?
    How is that the paintjob looks so different from the Kona webīs pic ? Much darker, almost like 03 Explosif. (Iīll try to post it here)
    Did you have the chance to weight the frame naked?(I mean the frame)
    Is that a 100 mm fork?....no, is not! Or..is it? Iīm sure Kona says the frame is for 80mm.

    Thanks a lot

    Oh, well..the derailleur question is obvious from this pic...You call them "mechs" in UK donīt you?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by What&son; 01-16-2004 at 04:13 AM.

  10. #10
    semi-evolved simian
    Reputation: Mine'sAPint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    330
    Quote Originally Posted by What&son
    You can bolt a derailleur back there, donīt you?
    How is that the paintjob looks so different from the Kona webīs pic ? Much darker, almost like 03 Explosif. (Iīll try to post it here)
    Did you have the chance to weight the frame naked?(I mean the frame)
    Is that a 100 mm fork?....no, is not! Or..is it? Iīm sure Kona says the frame is for 80mm.

    Thanks a lot

    Oh, well..the derailleur question is obvious from this pic...You call them "mechs" in UK donīt you?
    Yeah there's a derailleur hanger back there on the dropout, also has cable guides for front and rear cables. The Unit frame which is the dedicated singlespeed does not have those.

    I too was surprised at how different the colour was to the Kona web site, I like it though I didn't get a chance to weigh the frame (well, I did, I just didn't think to do it!).

    The fork is an 85mm Marz Marathon SL, you're right that the frame is designed for an 80mm and I didn't want to mess up the angles by putting a 100mm on there.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: drumstix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,152
    Quote Originally Posted by DMay
    One pic at a time dammit
    Doug, since you are a Kona lover this might be the wrong question to ask you, but you do have quite a collection there so here goes, having a Stinky and a Dawg, do you find that riding the longer travel bike is more fun than the Dawg? I guess Im looking for some insight as to the Dawg's worth, being a 4"er that weighs about 30 pounds or so, how do you like it?
    Thanks, Bob

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    79

    Cool..

    my kona on a cold day...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by nydave; 01-17-2004 at 12:56 PM.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by drumstix
    Doug, since you are a Kona lover this might be the wrong question to ask you, but you do have quite a collection there so here goes, having a Stinky and a Dawg, do you find that riding the longer travel bike is more fun than the Dawg? I guess Im looking for some insight as to the Dawg's worth, being a 4"er that weighs about 30 pounds or so, how do you like it?
    Thanks, Bob

    Dawg's great,But my favorite ride is definately the Stinky,that said,the way my Stinky's set up you can't really trail ride it.I do have much different bike preferences than a majority of riders.I don't care how slow I'm going when I'm just trail riding so extra weight doesn't bother me and there aren't long climbs here in So.Indiana so if I have to get off and push so what? My Dawg's up to about 35 lbs due to coil shock and such,I'm actually using like a big BMX bike right now,that's the skills I wanna work on. I have previously had my Stinky set up with a single crown fork and front derailleur and I thought it did just fine on 20 mile rides,plus it still DH'ed damn good.If I had to go with only one bike that's what I'd do. I AM different than most bikers though,I don't like anything less than a 68 degree head angle,even for XC,and with the stock 4 inch fork my Dawg has about 70.I put a five inch travel fork on it and now I like the stability.(hindsight says a Coiler would have been the hot ticket for me,but it wasn't available when I ordered).

    P.S. My Chute has GREAT geometry for me,68 degree head angle with 4 inch fork,It's so stable I can absolutely hammer through the nastiest rocks and roots without fear of endoing,I can ride so much faster on it than with traditional XC geometry.It's what I take for those day long rides in the woods.


    Doug

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: konarider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    176
    Hey Jeremy from Northern Cali (Roseville) here's my Dawg 19" with DJIII, Chris King Headset, King Hubs, Mavic EX729 Hubs, Azonic Shorty Stem...blah blah
    Attached Images Attached Images

  15. #15
    One life, One boss
    Reputation: aka AK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    107

    My two

    This gives me a chance to try and post my first picture, so I hope it works.

    I got two kona's a 99 kula, and the new 04 explosif. The picture shows it as a 1 by 9 before I made "the full switch the SS". Right now I got Paul disc Fhub and WORD hubs laced to Mustang tubeless rims with 14 gauge DT swiss spokes. Custom, hand built wheels, light, mean. Been SS on this puppy for 2 months. I run a 2000 Atom 80 which suits the geometry of this bike well. The explosif has a bit more relaxed fit than the kula's, which is why I run the 80. Gear ratio is 33*17. The feel of steel is buttery. I love this bike. I've clocked some two hour plus rides on my computer and run out of trails to ride on diablo. I'm looking to buy a Dawg frame so I can slap my MX pro eta 105 on it and all these parts that are lying around In the spring downieeville and tahoe are a bit more fun on a trail bike.....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (134.1 KB, 19584 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (170.4 KB, 19495 views)

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    110
    James here, my first Kona, an 02 Bear Dee-Lux. I have it up on Ebay right now. I was thinking about selling it to make room for an 04 Stinky with alot of upgrades, but I'm having second thoughts. If it doesn't sell, I'll probably just buy the Stinky and only upgrade the fork to a Sherman and save the other upgrades for down the road.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  17. #17
    UI's Worst Nightmare!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    30
    Hi there,
    From Burlington, ONT. New to the sport and picked up a 2004 Cindercone. Don't have a pic yet, except what is up on konaworld.com, but will in the future.

    No mods yet to her, waiting for my second bad crash to replace any componentry that gets "injured"! LMAO

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,213

    Have you seen one of these before? Ltd. Edition Stinky

    Here is my Ltd. Edition 2001.5 Stinky Five. I contacted Joe at Kona to get some literature about my bike and he said none existed. In fact, he said my bike was such a limited model that it would be difficult to prove it was ever produced. He may be right. I've only seen one other one here in the Bay Area.

    This is one fun bike to ride. It weighs 39 3/4lbs exactly as you see it! Thinking of getting some Dangerboy plates and other than that it is perfect.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  19. #19
    I wanna talk to Samson!
    Reputation: konabiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,305

    hey gonewild

    Quote Originally Posted by Gonewild
    James here, my first Kona, an 02 Bear Dee-Lux. I have it up on Ebay right now. I was thinking about selling it to make room for an 04 Stinky with alot of upgrades, but I'm having second thoughts. If it doesn't sell, I'll probably just buy the Stinky and only upgrade the fork to a Sherman and save the other upgrades for down the road.
    konabiker here

    hey gonewild i ride a 2004 stinky with sherman the fork is so nice on the bike im also considering a el jefe for the rear but that wont be happening any time sonn because of the shortage of $ but anyway i thought u might want to c mine and here it is on pinkbike

    stinky with sherman
    [SIZE=4]JackNugz[/SIZE]

    Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    no, but they are shinier....it's like the fututre, where everything is really really shiny.....but still really just the same ol'crap

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OkieInCT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    65
    ACME,
    Congrats, I'm glad to hear your bike finally came in. Had to go visit mine at the LBS yesterday and make a payment (hopefully get it out in the next month or so). Let me know how it rides when you get to take it out.
    ***CRASH ***
    2 arms...
    2 legs...
    1 head....
    Check....
    SWEET!

  21. #21
    Konameister
    Reputation: konameister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    118
    Quote Originally Posted by 67degrees
    Here is my Ltd. Edition 2001.5 Stinky Five. I contacted Joe at Kona to get some literature about my bike and he said none existed. In fact, he said my bike was such a limited model that it would be difficult to prove it was ever produced. He may be right. I've only seen one other one here in the Bay Area.

    This is one fun bike to ride. It weighs 39 3/4lbs exactly as you see it! Thinking of getting some Dangerboy plates and other than that it is perfect.
    Well, if you want some more info on it, try here:
    http://www.kona.dk/bikeindex.php?bikeId=253

    Kona also produced a limited edition of the Stinky with 6" travel:
    http://www.kona.dk/bikeindex.php?bikeId=252

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: freeryder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    114

    Smile OK, here is my NEW ride

    finaly got all built up. i had to modify disk mount on the frame a bit to install hayes 8in adaptor. great frame for price !
    Attached Images Attached Images

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by freeryder
    finaly got all built up. i had to modify disk mount on the frame a bit to install hayes 8in adaptor. great frame for price !


    what model is that? I thought they only sold the Cowan as a frame,And how much did you pay?(if you don't mind)

    BTW,very nice build!


    Doug

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: freeryder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    114

    Idea!

    Quote Originally Posted by DMay
    what model is that? I thought they only sold the Cowan as a frame,And how much did you pay?(if you don't mind)

    BTW,very nice build!


    Doug
    thanks Doug,
    it`s a 2004 scrap. you`re right, they don`t sell as a frame, but i got it for just around $250 at my lbs. it`s a 15in frame w/ sherman, D521, RFdiablo stem, full XT, THE saddle, azonic bar, maxxis, etc...

    it`s quite light and i guess it will hold my abuse !!

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by konabiker
    konabiker here

    hey gonewild i ride a 2004 stinky with sherman the fork is so nice on the bike im also considering a el jefe for the rear but that wont be happening any time sonn because of the shortage of $ but anyway i thought u might want to c mine and here it is on pinkbike

    stinky with sherman

    Looks good. You wouldn't want to trade an 02 Bear Dee-Lux for it would you ?

Page 1 of 57 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. First Ventana Post
    By Fattirewilly in forum Ventana
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-06-2009, 11:14 AM
  2. Thank you for this forum! (post your vintage)
    By Rumpfy in forum Vintage, Retro, Classic
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 01-14-2006, 07:35 PM
  3. Everybody upload your freakin avatars!!!!!!!!
    By francois in forum Site Feedback/Issues
    Replies: 125
    Last Post: 01-06-2005, 06:34 AM
  4. first to post on Titus- guess why?
    By tommyrod74 in forum Titus
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-24-2003, 06:37 AM
  5. first post -mwa ha ha!
    By francois in forum Custom Builders & Other Manufacturers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-23-2003, 03:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •