Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Post your Kona's!(and introduce yourself)

699K views 2K replies 830 participants last post by  kimbers1 
#1 ·
Doug Here, Do my riding in Southern Indiana,I've got a 2002 Chute,2002 Stinky Primo, And a 2003 Dawg
pic of Stinky(Now has 2003 super-t,Evil SRS,Sram)

Gotta resize Chute and Dawg pics

Attachments

See less See more
#27 ·
konabiker said:
haha im good but u shouldnt have any trouble selling that thing it looks like its in good condition
Sold it today and already having those second thoughts like, what was I thinking? Called the LBS and no Stinkys until mid April. Now the dilemma, do I wait or do I order a primo frame which is avaliable now and build it like I want. The cost would be more, but oh the ride I would have.

#31 ·
My Kona

A: Please excuse the trash...garbage p/u isn't intil Friday.

B: My '03 Kona Dawg. All stock right now except for the WTB Speed-V saddle. I've been doing some purchasing over the winter and expect to swap out the stock pedals for Shimano 545's, stock Tioga's for Panaracer Fire XC's as soon as it gets warmer here in Upstate NY. Also expect to swap out stem for shorter one (please see my "STEM" post to help me). Bikes in the background are my Trek 4500 and my wife's Specialized.

Attachments

#33 ·
Stop It !

This is torture...
I have been waiting for my Caldera for 3 months... It will be here late March... problably.
I cant take it anymore! All these pictures of beautifull people having fun and showing off their toys... its killing me!
My kingdom for a bike. Any bike...

Acme, need to know a few things about the Kikapu. Is it strudy? The frame is good?
I am 6,2", 200 lbs and ride kinda hard but no jumps. Will the Kikapu suit me or the Dawg is a safer choice?

Have Fun
Bye

#34 ·
I'm 220 and the Kikapu has been nothing but sturdy and stiff. I do some small drops and jumps with it and it just eats 'em up. I would probably gotten a Dawg if I could have afforded it, that way if I start going bigger it could handle it better. If you're not jumping at all or doing drops I think the Kikapu is a great bike, it's a great value for the price :)

Hey BIGman, Is your front rotor on backwards?

#36 ·
Took the Dawg for a ride today...

...but, to my grief, the cockpit on the 18" is too short.

Where on the frame do you measure standover clearance?
When I was off the bike, I had about five fingers between my jewels and the top tube.

My inseam is about 33,4" . That meens that if I got the 19" Dawg I wouldn't have any clearance left for it has 33,5"

This is a major bummer. I was really looking forward to the 'pup'.

Seems like I have to shed a few lbs not to wreck the Kikapu.

Be nice, ride safe, blah, blah, blah...

#39 ·
My 03 Explosif

It was a warrenty frame. Built-up with odd and ends Sram Centera rear XT wheels bontrager ceramic rims on XT. the fork is off the original 94' Hot. Which helps explain the bigger tire I refer to it as the T.H.C. custom spec because most of the parts were lying around the Totally Happy Courier office. BTW Kona and my local shop were incredabliy genurous in warrentieing a 7 year old race bike.

Attachments

#41 ·
Acme54321 said:
Sweet bike dude.

A few things though. Lose the relfectors ASAP, and save up some money to get clipless pedals, or a nice pair of flats.

:D
Thanks,
Yep, I know, this is a picture of it as soon as I got it home. I have a pair of Shimano clipless that I'm going to take off my old bike and put on it and will difinately lose the reflecters. I also just got a Kona Bear bell that I'm going to mount on it to keep the walkers happy at the local trails (the constant ringing can get irritating after a while, but the walkers try to get rid of the bikers every year, so anything I can do to keep them happy)..

#43 ·
Acme54321 said:

Reflectors = Huffy

If you're riding at night get a light.
I love bike snobbery, of course you should get a light but as I said anything helps so why not beside some weird notion of cool? All my reflecters died in use, there gonna break or rattle lose eventually so I say let nature take it's course, get a liittle extra safety and annoy the fashion nazis.

#44 ·
Hi,
Sorry to break in but i'm about to put a deposit down on a Cinder Cone - not many in Western Australia so it's hard to get rider feed back. The bike looks good but does it ride as good as it looks?! Thanks for your thoughts, adze

#45 ·
adze said:
Hi,
Sorry to break in but i'm about to put a deposit down on a Cinder Cone - not many in Western Australia so it's hard to get rider feed back. The bike looks good but does it ride as good as it looks?! Thanks for your thoughts, adze
The bike DOES ride as good as it looks... The frame is the same geometry as all the other Kona-bikes. No worries there...

The spec is also ok. Its not top of the line, but at the price you won't be disappointed. And when you got a nice frame its just question of changing the parts as they wear out!

I just ordered a Cindercone frame for the wife and I can't wait to set it up :D

#46 ·
Thanks for that, I'm looking forward to getting the Cinder Cone. The bike has fairly decent specs and I can't wait to get it out and muddy. I was given very good advice on replacing "bits" on the bike - replace only when you break them then you'll know what your hard on! Thanks for your help & hope your wife has fun on the Cinder Cone, adze

#49 ·
I own a 2003 Cindercone....

WOw, what a nice bike. Its my first, Dawg will be my second, but the cindercone is light, durable, and I take it everywhere the full suspension bikers go, including log jumps and gut wrenching climbs.

The package you get is unbeatable for the price. You would think that Kona is simply giving away the frame when you buy the bike and all her goods...LOL

:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.