Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Post your Kona's!(and introduce yourself)

699K views 2K replies 830 participants last post by  kimbers1 
#1 ·
Doug Here, Do my riding in Southern Indiana,I've got a 2002 Chute,2002 Stinky Primo, And a 2003 Dawg
pic of Stinky(Now has 2003 super-t,Evil SRS,Sram)

Gotta resize Chute and Dawg pics

Attachments

See less See more
#55 ·
02' Kona Stinky

Here's my Kona Stinky 02'.

Specs:
Fox Vanilla RL 03'
Thompson Seat post
Plant-x Stem and handle bar
Ryno lite XL rims
XT rear deraillur 04'
XT shifters
Stylo Crank Arms
Alloy Chain Rings 28-38
Evil Bash Guard
Time Control pedals

Coming Soon:
Sherman Slider 03'
King Steel headset
Evil DRS
Hadley Hubs

Attachments

#60 ·
my new cinder cone - finally!!

Not real good with the whole technology thing but here is the bike! Photo was taken about a week after I purchased it so still looks really clean. Most of my riding is done in south-west Western Australia on single tracks. Just new to this as my last bike was a merida cross. have fun, adze :D

#64 · (Edited)
Here`s my 1997 Explosif...

Totally rebuilt and refinished. I bought this frame online from a guy living in British Columbia, Canada. Every part on this bike came from ebay.

It had some light indentations that I had filled in with braze. Then I power coated white. What a beautiful finish. I just took it out for a spin last week for the first time. A fantastic riding frame. Smooth, plush and predictable. The SID Race really helps. A great light weight Colombus MAX OR tubed frame. Highly recommended.

Steve From Toronto, Canada

#70 ·
My first Kona too.

'04 Kikapu Frame built with some left over parts and a '03 Marz MX Comp 105mm fork. Still dialing in the suspension though. I'm 205lbs and tried the Float at 190psi but still haven't gotten full travel in the rear after riding some rocky descents in Southern Cali.

Attachments

#71 · (Edited)
1998 Kona Lavadome frame

my main xc ride, that i'll keep forever, is a 1998 Kona Lavadome 18" green steel frame (~4.5#). i've replaced everything from that bike, but the cool retro hardtail frame, adorned with many scratches and dents (i use clear nail polish to ward off rust).

'03 marz mx 105mm eta fork 4.4# (dang, i wish i had known that the '04 mx would have 120mm)
dave's dream wheels (rear: ust&standard dual rim)
hope mono mini hydro disk (sweet!) on front (got no rear disk brake boss, don't need 'em)
avid ti rear brake with sram lever
mamahon ti seatpost (& thompson alum seats post as backup, 'cause that ti post has bent)
sel flite gel saddle with ti rails
chris king headset
marin xc riser bar with 120mm stem (soon to get Moots stuff...)
xt hollowtech drive train & shifters
steel water bottle cage

total weight = 27#s (not counting saddle bag, H2O, and tire pump)

picture to be posted...

wondering if the 2.4" wtb 'weir tire will fit on this frame?

my next ride: kona stinky or the stinky delux or da santa cruz vp-free...(?)

#74 ·
2002 Bear Deelux. Got the frame end of last season and built it up.

Seems to be the only coil sprung Bear/Dawg Deelux out there. I'm a little nervous about switching to air cause I'm a little heavy (200 lbs) and ride real hard. I'm one of those maniacs who accelerates into rock gardens just to see what'll happen.

Any other maniacs out there on Dawgs have blowouts on the floats?

Attachments

#1,248 ·
2002 Bear Deelux. Got the frame end of last season and built it up.

Seems to be the only coil sprung Bear/Dawg Deelux out there. I'm a little nervous about switching to air cause I'm a little heavy (200 lbs) and ride real hard. I'm one of those maniacs who accelerates into rock gardens just to see what'll happen.

Any other maniacs out there on Dawgs have blowouts on the floats?
I have a good 50 lbs on you and haven't had any issue with air shocks. In fact, I only ride air shocks since my weight tends to fluctuate with my activity level and changing springs is not a viable option for me.

I tend to smash into rock gardens myself and haven't had any issues whatsoever with my shocks.

Food for thought. Many of the contestants at this last Rampage used air shocks. A 30ft drop puts far more stress on a shock than a heavy guy smashing into a pile of rocks.

#76 ·
My Kona...... best bike ever.

Fred here, from Canada...

Here's mine, KONA Caldera 2001. I just finished, minutes ago, the spring upgrade spree!
Can't wait to ride it tomorrow. 3rd year I'm having this bike and it rocks!

Upgraded fork to Marz0cchi MX Comp ETA
Upgraded rear brake to Avid mech.
Upgraded bottom bracket to XT
Upgraded wheels/tires to Sun Single Track with Panaracerr Fire XC Pro 2.10
Removed big gear, replaced with a Blackspire Ring God

I think I'm in love...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.