mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Possible head tube problem with Honzo. Could use some help.

Since I put my Honzo together I've been having consistent problems with the headset coming loose. I've got a Chris Kind headset, and during every ride it loosens up. And yes, the headset is installed properly and tightened down correctly. I've gone through 3 star nuts so far, as they get jostled and break down quickly.

The lower bearing spins smoothly, but the upper bearing is tight. I removed it last night and the bearing spins fine. Once I reinstall it the bearing is tight again. The only conclusion I can draw is that the upper part of the head tube isn't perfectly round. It seems it's just oval enough that it's pinching the upper headset and causing it to be a little crunchy.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, other than reaming out the headtube, which seems a little drastic, any suggestions from the Honzo peanut gallery?

Thanks.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Yes, I went through the exact same thing with my Honzo & King inset. Installed and removed the cups several times before measuring the head tube and finding it was way under tolerance.

The reason the lower cup works and the upper doesn't, is because the lower bearing is external (so the cup skirt skirt is getting squeezed, not the bearing). Both ends of your headtube are likely out of tolerance though (mine were)

You may find it will take a lot of force to remove the cups.

I also discovered this is less of an issue with cane creek headsets because they have much short skirts which also have beveled edges.

The fix is simply to have the head tube reamed and faced. FWIW, the LBS I took my frame too, only faced the head tube. It was only after I asked a bunch of questions I was informed that they didn't have a 44mm reamer... which was when we measured the head tube and found it was like 43.4mm. So I'd suggest calling around and finding a shop with a 44mm reamer before doing anything else.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks, FM. This is what I figured. I'll call around to local shops.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I assume once you had your headtube reamed everything was good?

Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    Yes, I went through the exact same thing with my Honzo & King inset. Installed and removed the cups several times before measuring the head tube and finding it was way under tolerance.

The reason the lower cup works and the upper doesn't, is because the lower bearing is external (so the cup skirt skirt is getting squeezed, not the bearing). Both ends of your headtube are likely out of tolerance though (mine were)

You may find it will take a lot of force to remove the cups.

I also discovered this is less of an issue with cane creek headsets because they have much short skirts which also have beveled edges.

The fix is simply to have the head tube reamed and faced. FWIW, the LBS I took my frame too, only faced the head tube. It was only after I asked a bunch of questions I was informed that they didn't have a 44mm reamer... which was when we measured the head tube and found it was like 43.4mm. So I'd suggest calling around and finding a shop with a 44mm reamer before doing anything else.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by i.a.n. View Post
    I assume once you had your headtube reamed everything was good?
    yep! And the Honzo is awesome otherwise. I am really happy with it.
    Well worth the extra time & effort.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I definitely love the bike, just tired of the sloppy headset feeling. I'll strip it down and take it to a local shop to get fixed. Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    yep! And the Honzo is awesome otherwise. I am really happy with it.
    Well worth the extra time & effort.