mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Opinions on 2014 Kona Kahuna for entry level bike

Hi guys. Thought I'd post to the Kona specific thread. I'm certainly not new to biking, but just getting back into mountain biking for the first time in a long time. Won't be doing any competing, just riding for fun, but I plan to ride some fairly challenging trails. Im in the market for a new bike, around the $1000-1300 price point. I've been looking at the offerings by Trek, Giant, Specialized, and Cannondale. There's a ton of bike brands I'm not super familiar with (Kona being one), but I ran across the Kahuna model that's right in my price point and it looks intriguing. It looks similarly equipped to most $1200 bikes I'm looking at component wise. Just looking for any general opinions or comparisons between the Kona and some of the offerings by the bigger companies in Trek, etc. I realize a lot of it is fit and feel and just test riding the bike, but just looking for general opinions on the Kahuna and the company's products in general.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I have had a Kona for a long time, and my replacement for my old Lava Dome was a 29" 2012 Kahuna, bought at the end of the season at a great price. They spec out some of their own components, but overall decent bikes, especially on sale. I also swapped out stuff for things I wanted.

I like my kahuna, your mileage may vary!

i liked my old Kona, so stuck with them. Get the bike that fits and feels right for you. I was like you - I hadn't MTB'd in, oh, about 12 years...

There are many hardtails out there at that price...

Fat-tired Roadie
    Looks to me like they stuff a pretty nice spec into $1300. Not everyone has the XC32 fork, which I think is a plus. Do your research - IIRC, the XC32 is cross-compatible with the Tora (and Recon?) for maintenance parts. And, you can get spring kits. In other words, you can tune the fork for yourself without having to start by buying a new fork.

For disclosure, Kona is the brand the shop sponsoring my team offers us at the best prices, and I've taken advantage.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    Looks to me like they stuff a pretty nice spec into $1300. Not everyone has the XC32 fork, which I think is a plus. Do your research - IIRC, the XC32 is cross-compatible with the Tora (and Recon?) for maintenance parts. And, you can get spring kits. In other words, you can tune the fork for yourself without having to start by buying a new fork.

For disclosure, Kona is the brand the shop sponsoring my team offers us at the best prices, and I've taken advantage.
    Yeah, I thought so..at least from what knowledge I have on components. By comparison, the $1150 Rockerhopper Comp, which I also have considered, features the XC28, SRAM X5, and Tektro Drako. For the price the Kona's X32, Deore, and Shimano brakes seems like a better all around bike for the money.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Whatever bike you get... enjoy it! This is such a nice time of year in a lot of the country.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    If you like the Kahuna, then buy one.

The bike will be similar in specification to other makes at a similar price, so it is unlikely that you will buy it and then think "I could have bought the XYZ for the same money and it is much better"

I looked around for ages for a FS bike and then in a shop full of bikes I saw the 2013 Kona Tanuki Deluxe and thought "I like the look of that" so bought it.

There are any number of similar bikes at similar money but I have not seen anything that I would rather have had since.