Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

new Process 134 v 153 test rides - anyone able to compare?

I have ridden the 153 in Moab - looking for a single quiver killer and not sure if I "need" a 153 or go 134. Wont have chance to demo a 134 anytime soon...

thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    The 153 has a more slack head angle than the 134 (66.5* vs 68*). Combine that with the increase in travel (6" vs 5.25") and to me it feels a little more like a mini downhill rig to me. Also, with the more slack ha and slightly longer wheelbase, the handling is slightly slower on the 153 than the 134.

As for the build kits, the 153 comes with heartier suspension and wheels. Even the base model comes with a Pike and TCS wheels, albeit the hubs still leave something to be desired.

I wanted a single bike that would do it all and went with the base 134. I wasn't entirely happy about the build kit, but I didn't think the DL version was much better. I upgraded brakes (not because I needed to, but because I had them), the seatpost, wheels, and derailleur (broke the original, my fault). I still want to upgrade my suspension. Having said all of this, I think that out of the box this is the best bike I have ever ridden. It climbs great, descends confidently and hasn't left me wishing for more bike.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Woahey

Thanks a bunch. I see all your points and makes sense. Kinda what I was expecting I might hear. I was lucky and rode the 153 in Moab - and it blew my mind. Just not sure if it's too much for my everyday and even most trips. but the Pike/RT on the 153 for the money is the deal.

I too am contemplating what you did - buying the lower spec of either and upgrading a few bits - if i go with non dl 134 - wheels, 150 pike or xfusion sweep, and shimano slx or xt brakes.

If i go 153 - maybe wheels or ride the hubs off the stock wheels.

with both - i plan to go 1x10 with the new Wolftooth 42t rr and and a 30t n/w front later in the spring / early summer

as good as the drivetrain bits are - getting one of these lower spec bikes are IMO better than the upper spec once a few smart upgrades in place - and price stays below the DL specs

cheers

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I'll be able to better compare after this weekend. Picking up a 153DL demo tonight (second time demoing), after riding the 134DL a number of times.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Would definitely like to hear more about this comparison as I'm I the same boat. 134dl or the 153

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Eh, just posted in the 153 thread by mistake.

TLDR; I like both a lot. The 153 climbs 'worse' (should not be a surprise) however, TO ME, makes more than up for it on the downs.

I can climb quickly, it's just not a prerogative for me. If it is for you, you may want to more seriously consider the smaller travel bike.

As for descending chops, yesterday was a bust on suspension set up but I still managed first time drops and PRs on some fast tech (telonics), whereas today was more dialed suspension and I managed 3 PRs on 3 very well traveled descents, runs I've made 10-30x each. On suspension that was about 80% dialed in, and a near-bald rear tire. I was very impressed. The bike eats stutter bumps that much better than the 134 and dealt with worse conditions with aplomb.

Again, very impressed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    [QUOTE=probiscus;

As for descending chops, yesterday was a bust on suspension set up but I still managed first time drops and PRs on some fast tech (telonics), whereas today was more dialed suspension and I managed 3 PRs on 3 very well traveled descents, runs I've made 10-30x each. On suspension that was about 80% dialed in, and a near-bald rear tire. I was very impressed. The bike eats stutter bumps that much better than the 134 and dealt with worse conditions with aplomb.

Again, very impressed.[/QUOTE]

Probiscus,
    Can I ask what trails u rode today. Aliso or El Moro? Do u think the 153 eats up bumps better because of more travel or because it has a Pike and the 134 has an inferior fork and shock? I am surprised The Path let u take a demo bike with a near bald tire. Usually their demo bikes r well maintained.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Saturday was repo man, art school and telonics. Sunday was car wreck, rock it and 5 oaks. I think the pike was set up a little better, aside from having the stiffer chassis. I guess where I really noticed the improvement (over the revelation) was on the stutter bumps on 5 oaks / car wreck and the rock garden on rock it. Couldn't say whether the extra 20mm travel made much of a difference, but for what it's worth, i did bottom out the fork.

The rear tire was just toast, the bike has seen a LOT of abuse. With all the trails I rode over the weekend I still didn't have any problems with it. The HR2 is my normal tire so I'm pretty familiar with what it can do.

mtbr member
    sold
    Last edited by carabao; 02-16-2014 at 06:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    My next bike was originally going I be the 27.5 Heckler, but with all the good reviews I've changed it to a Process. I'll be keeping my eye on this thread,but right now it seems hard to pass up what a good value the base 153 is.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluidworks View Post
    You need to write up a full comparison for the 134 v 153 thread.
    You asked for it, stream of consciousness style:

I'm 39 y/o, 200lb. rider who only rode hardtails up until my 153DL purchase. When I bought the 153DL I did so thinking I didn't want to half-ass it and get something similar to my very capable Honzo. Long story short, I went too far. My local trails that I ride 90% of the time don't necessitate the descending capabilities of the 153. Also, I stand a lot. I mean 90% of the time, no dropper, seat low, pulling up on the bars and mashing. I have gone back and forth with a dropper post, but always return to my stand and mash style. That's mainly where the 153 and I didn't gel. It did better with a dropper, but it wasn't as fun.

Climbing:
    Locked out, the 153 and 134 are very similar. I can isolate this because I did a complete swap of parts with only the frames and handlebars being different. The 134 holds a slight edge locked out, but not much. I'm not a suspension guru, but I think it has better antisquat than the 153 and I may be feeling this even in the firmer compression settings. Open is where the 134 is so much more efficient. It's poppy and accelerates much faster than the 153. It feels like sports car where the 153 feels like a truck. It's not like a hardtail, but closer to the feel of a hardtail than the 153 is. It doesn't numb the trail as much and gives the perfect balance of feedback and suspension for my style of riding and the trails I enjoy. Basically, it's just flat out faster and doesn't bog down in sprints and climbs like I felt the 153 did in the open position. One last thing, I did PR a 20+ minute climb using 153 beating my old honzo time by over a minute. So it isn't awful, it's just not better than the 134.

Descending:
    Easy, the 153 wins. It makes you attack, plow, seek and destroy. You feel like finding things to smash. It loves rough, chattery, chunk, big drops and rutted terrain. Just get in attack position, point and shoot. I even had two oh **** moments where I went off a drop and really screwed up and nose dived bad. The 153 saved me both times. I couldn't believe it. The long front center and slack head angle just eat up the terrain and you'll find yourself literally grinning, literally. I started taking bad lines just to test its limits.

Now the long front center, 35mm longer than the 134, was also a little hard to maneuver in the tight switchbacks and fast twisty terrain. I also think the long front center may have caused the nose dives off of drops because I don't have that problem on the 134. I don't suck at riding, so I adapted, but what I'm saying is the 134 is just more intuitive to me. Maybe because it more closely resembles my Honzo's geo. Either way, the 134 would just do what I wanted without any additional thought. If you're older and know who Clint Eastwood is, you'll remember that movie where he controls the jet with his thoughts, Firefox, well that's how the 134 works, except you don't have to know Russian.

The 134 is just responsive, agile, and poppy feeling. The 153 is a fullback and the 134 is a tailback. It accelerates great, climbs and sprints well wide open, and changes direction with less effort. I'm running it with a 160mm Pike which I was going to lower, but haven't found a reason to. Coming from the Honzo, I'm use to unbalanced suspension. The Honzo had 10mm suspension in the rear via fat tires and steel damping, and 140 in the front. The 134 feels bottomless in the rear and I haven't used up all of the suspension yet even off 4-5 foot drops to flat. I have bottomed out the Pike though. To sum up the descending differences I would say the 134 likes to zig and zag, jump, pump, and play. The 153 wants to flatten terrain, find trouble, get in fights, and be tested.

I wish I could find the words to convey the differences. I tried. Remember, this is how I feel and of course riders with different skills, priorities, and terrain could say the 134 is not enough bike. I also want to mention that if you're into enduro racing and it's at all pedally and you're an above average bike handler, I would highly recommend the 134 with a Pike at 150mm or 160mm. You could run it at 140mm with an air spring from a 150mm 26" Pike, but I think you'll suffer a lot of pedal strikes. With a 160 Pike my head angle is 67 degrees.

So I hope this helps. Read this interview with Chris Mandell, Kona designer, where he too TRIES to recommend a frame. It ain't easy. It always goes back to rider style/ability, terraing, and values.

Interview with Kona?s Chris Mandell | Wiggle Blog

new Process 134 v 153 test rides - anyone able to compare?-two.jpg

new Process 134 v 153 test rides - anyone able to compare?-darkk.jpg

new Process 134 v 153 test rides - anyone able to compare?-bridge.jpg

new Process 134 v 153 test rides - anyone able to compare?-rooster.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Excellent write up, thank you. We're in a similar position regarding riding style, and I too love my Honzo. Finding a bike to complement that bike was making me seriously consider the 153, your words have definitely pushed me to find a shop with some 134 demos. It is a bummer how much better the non DL 153 part spec is compared to the 134.

One thing I'm surprised at, is running the 134 with the 160 Pike. Judging by how much thought went into the Process geo, it would seem like the 160 up front would be hideously unbalanced, yet that doesn't seem to be the case. Did you get a chance to ride a 134DL stock before getting your frame?

mtbr member
    Excellent write up, thank you. We're in a similar position regarding riding style, and I too love my Honzo. Finding a bike to complement that bike was making me seriously consider the 153, your words have definitely pushed me to find a shop with some 134 demos. It is a bummer how much better the non DL 153 part spec is compared to the 134.

One thing I'm surprised at, is running the 134 with the 160 Pike. Judging by how much thought went into the Process geo, it would seem like the 160 up front would be hideously unbalanced, yet that doesn't seem to be the case. Did you get a chance to ride a 134DL stock before getting your frame?
    It doesn't feel unbalanced to me. I never rode a 134DL stock, but I'm sure it's excellent. Different strokes for different folks. I'm not saying a 160mm pike is the way for everyone. What I am saying is that the 134 is a better fit for me.

On the topic of longer front vs. rear suspension, it's not uncommon even on the World Cup level and I guarantee you those guys are pushing their bikes waaaay more than you and I ever will. Another thing to think about is that I have no trouble weighting the front end because I pedal standing. If you're seated pedaling you may not be able to get your bar low enough with a 160 Pike to combat wheel wandering on the uphills. Both platforms are excellent. Just make sure you get the right one. They overlap each other, but choose the one you spend the majority of your time in.

I should also add that this is the only bike I own now. I sold my Honzo early on when I found that the 153 was faster uphill. So this review is from a quiver killer perspective. I think that's important to consider.

mtbr member
    Well, now that would be a true comparison test, now wouldn't it?
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by woahey View Post
    Well, now that would be a true comparison test, now wouldn't it?
    Yes it would.
    You are correct.
    Last edited by carabao; 02-16-2014 at 06:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Carabao- What type of trails do you mostly ride?

I'm going slightly nuts trying to decide between the 134DL and the 153 and won't be able to demo them anytime soon. I live in Southern UT and ride a lot of desert single track and sand stone (gooseberry,etc). I really enjoy the descents but nothing too crazy. 4-5' drops and some table tops is where I max out. I'm looking for a "quiver killer" that is does well on technical stuff around here but also can handle the ski resort a time or two a year.

Either bike, I'm going to covert to a 1x10 and if I go the 134 route will swap out the front fork for a pike or sweep. I've been leaning towards the 153 but the stellar reviews of the 134 and how fun it is to ride is making me think twice.

mtbr member
    Watch this video:

VP Pedals Signs New Enduro Athletes - Pinkbike

I live in San Diego but the range of terrain is well represented in that video.I highly recommend the Pike with either frame. Also, consider what your buddies ride, your strengths, and your weaknesses. I can honestly say I'm not missing the extra travel of the 153, but coming from a hardtail I prefer a different bike feel. I appreciate the snappier acceleration and climbing more than bottomless travel. The 153 is a shitload of fun on the downs. The longer and rougher the descent the more I'd lean towards the 153. Hope that doesn't confuse you more. You really can't go wrong with either.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the reply. If I'm honest with myself either bike is probably way more capable than I am. I just like to pretend I'm extreme enough to need more travel I think 95% of the time the 134 would be my ideal bike. There might be a few rides here and there a little more travel would be nice, just have to decide if it's worth being a little slower on the climbs.

mtbr member
    With that, and you mentioning quiver killer, I say 134dl or frame up build. Final answer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by carabao View Post
    With that, and you mentioning quiver killer, I say 134dl or frame up build. Final answer.
    I'm leaning that way. The 134 with the Pike might be the perfect balance for me. A little extra travel up front for the descents and still being a good climber/trail bike.

mtbr member
    I am in this same predicament!

I have a capable hardtail for more of a trail bike, so I am leaning towards the 153 for less overlap for bigger rides/parks here in the NJ/PA area but I also the sound of a 134 with a bigger fork for a burlier ride with more usability.

Then again, the Pike, a better dropper (than the base 134), and tubeless ready wheels is a lot of bang for the buck on the 153, and are all parts I would throw money at upgrading the 134, and the price starts to creep upwards when throwing a bigger fork on the 134DL.

First world problems, huh?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I've taken my 153 round 50k Welsh mountain xc epics

And uplift days at the bike park

It's not the most efficient bike out there for long sxc rides but it's not terrible and is so much fun that I'll happily take the climbs steadily In exchange for hammering the downs.

Swapping out the draggy HR 2 tyres for pretty much anything makes a big difference and weight wise they are pretty much identical

Ive got a hardtail too that I planned to take it on the less gnarly rides but honestly I keep reaching for the 153

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaPanthers View Post
    I am in this same predicament!

I have a capable hardtail for more of a trail bike, so I am leaning towards the 153 for less overlap for bigger rides/parks here in the NJ/PA area but I also the sound of a 134 with a bigger fork for a burlier ride with more usability.

Then again, the Pike, a better dropper (than the base 134), and tubeless ready wheels is a lot of bang for the buck on the 153, and are all parts I would throw money at upgrading the 134, and the price starts to creep upwards when throwing a bigger fork on the 134DL.

First world problems, huh?
    Lol! We do have some serious problems. Maybe we can apply for some sort of government assistance to cope with these hard times.

I placed a order for the 134DL today. I have a connection that will save me some $$. Swapping out the fork to a pike and changing the drive train a bit and I'll still be less than the MSRP of the 153. If I wasn't going to make any changes and paying MSRP I'd go for the 153.

A huge factor in my decision is pretty much every review mentions how fun the 134 is. One reviewer said he kept extending rides just to stay on the bike for longer. That's what it's all about for me. I'm never going to race and have a pretty laid back approach to riding. I love the DH but am not a smash / plow kind of guy. I usually only hit jumps and drops with smooth transitions and am fairly conservative in the lines I take compared to some. I hope I made the right decision. I bet I'd love either one though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    KPM700 - i'm in the same place as you are (or were). I just cant figure out if the 134 dl or 153 is right for me?

I've come to one conclusion. The thing that keeps me wondering which one to get is the fact that I would love to have steeper trails so I would have to use the 153, but the reality is that my locals trails demand no more than the 134, so a 153 would be an overkill so to speak.

Also, my local trails tend to have some steep climbs and its a 7k climb until the descend so thats why i'm considering the 134...

Anyhow, I like to think that I will be a better rider in all senses if I get the 153.

It's like the devil inside me tells me to get the 153 but the angel tells me to get the 134.

Hope you have a blast on your new bike!!

Cheers!!

mtbr member
    Yikes! Reading over the sentences I wrote nearly gave me a headache. It's almost as if I've never heard of a period or something lol!

Anyway, the 134DL sounds like a great bike, especially with a Pike and some drivetrain upgrades. Getting it under the MRSP of the 153 is just the icing on the cake. It's a shame the base 134 is lacking in the build specs compared to the base 153, though it certainly hits a price point and is not a bad bike by any means (well, at least from what people have been saying online). Once I calculated swapping out some parts to make the base 134 more my flavor/a little more beefy I starting passing the price of the 153. Plus I think the bigger bike would be a better complement to my current bike.

Congrats on your pick up though! Be sure to post pics/ride impressions when you get some time in the saddle, this thread is a helpful resource for people trying to decide between the two. I'm still trying to decide haha. I need a test ride

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast