mtbr member

New pike on Satori?

So I've got the '11 satori and have loved the bike, but I've always thought the revelation up front could perform much better up front in high speed choppy sections of trail. Speeding up rebound and playing with the +/- chambers does little to match the front with the back. And the stiffness could be kicked up a notch also, I'm spoiled by stiffer forks on bigger bikes. Has anyone swapped on the new pike? Although I'm disappointed with the 15mm axle, if this fork is as good as the reviews I'm thinking it may be worth a new hub also. Whaddua think?
    To appreciate the flowers you must also walk among s**t to know the difference

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    if you are riding the Satori nearly as hard as it's truly capable of - i think this would be the perfect upgrade - stiffer, better all around - and dont think the going from a 20mm axle to 15 on such a better fork will be negative at all

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I am thinking about this same upgrade for a 2012 Satori. Kona's tech support said the 140mm version would be fine (actually they said any 140mm fork would be OK, but the Pike is the only one on my radar).

The newer Satoris are spec'ed with a 140mm Fox 34, my LBS said it's with the 46mm offset, though it seems like the 51mm would be OK too. In looking at the drawings for the 140mm Fox 34, vs. the specs I've been able to find for the 140mm Pike and 150mm Pike, the 150mm looks like it'd be too long. Getting the rear and front that out of balance could be an issue too (130mm rear, vs. 150mm front). Putting too much stress on a head tube would be bad news, too.

More info:
    Fox's drawings indicate a Steerer Tube Length of 256 +/- 5 mm with a 552.8 mm Axle to Crown measurement. This is a total of 808.8 mm +/- 5 mm

The Pike 140mm is listed as having a Steerer Tube Length of 265 +/- 5 mm with a 551 mm Axle to Crown measurement. This is a total of 816 mm +/- 5 mm.

Going to a 150mm Pike seems like a non-starter since it'd end up at 826mm +/- 5mm, 17.2mm longer, quite a bit (~0.7 inches). (i.e. same measurements, plus the 10mm additional travel).

Let me know if you go this route and how it feels on the bike. I am trying to justify the expense as "it's cheaper than buying a new bike" but hearing some real-world feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Rocky

mtbr member
    The pike is ordered, i will have the travel set for 140mm. Because i have to convert to 15mm axle, i bit the bullet and also ordered a set of I9 enduro torch wheels. I can't justify spending $$$$ for the carbon rim option, but the new parts should address any small issues. As soon as the trails are rideable, which at this point could be another two months or more away with all the piles of frozen snow here (and another foot+ on the way!) I'll post some ride impressions. Until then i'll have to "make do" riding the mukluk for a while
    To appreciate the flowers you must also walk among s**t to know the difference

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Great! Looking forward to the ride report.

Which Pike did you settle on? Did you order the 150mm to shim down to 140mm travel or the straight up 140mm one? RCT or RT? Also curious about which offset you chose (from what I can tell, there are three, 46mm, 51mm, and none).

I am hoping to use a set of 20mm to 15mm adapters in my front hub, should I do the upgrade. Haven't researched that quite as much, yet, though.

Thanks!

-Rocky

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I have a '12 Satori, but I built it from the frame up using a '13 Talas 34 140. Huge difference in stiffness over the stock fork. Its point and shoot.

As far as 15mm vs 20mm, I have had several fork with both and never noticed a difference. If there is any flex its not from the axle in my opinion.