Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

New Kona Unit owner

Today I ordered a left over 2011 White Kona unit.

I should be receiving it next week. Pretty excited about the new ride and looking forward to taking it out. I was considering a few other bikes like the Jabberwocky, Karate Monkey, Niner and a few others but I like the geometry numbers of the Unit the best. I'm 6' and ordered the 19".

Feel free to share your thoughts on the Unit.
    Last edited by Dictatorsaurus; 01-12-2012 at 11:45 PM.

EXORCIZE
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus View Post
    I should be receiving it next year.
    Next year? 2013? Or did mtbr mix up your posts's date stamp?

Like you, I chose the '11 Unit based on its geometry. The Jabber looks classic but its chainstay is too long, the Monkey is iconic but its head tube angle is too steep, and the Niner is overpriced and has overly steep angles. I replaced my SIR9 frame with the Unit frame based soley for the geometry change. No regrets. I'd guess the 19" is the right size for you (I'm 6'2 and the 20" fits great).
    ride natty ride

mtbr member
    I'm 6'4" and ride a 2011 Unit 22" and its been great so far. The SS is tough for me almost everywhere but downhill, but I bought it to give me more of a workout than a geared bike, so it's doing the job well! This was my 1st 29er and it won't be the last!

The Unit is simple in design, but has the ability to be upgraded (squish fork, gears), and the classic good looks are awesome! I hope you enjoy yours as well! Oh yeah, the white ones are faster than the orange ones...

mtbr member
    How does the Unit handle in tight twisty sections? You happy with the rigid P2 fork?

Look at the numbers it seems like it should be fairly flickable and agile. The Jabberwocky is stretched out too long.

mtbr member
    Handles any and all of the terrain my local (western NC) trails have to offer. Of course some stuff is easier than others, but I like it just as is. The P2 fork is nothing spectacular, but the rake and geo of the bike make it plenty fun!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Hey guys, glad you like your units too! I love mine and it's perfect for me and all the trails close to my house. I'm a 29er only guy too, moonshine. We need to get together and ride one day. My unit is orange though so I guess i'll be slower than you.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DDsinglespeed View Post
    Hey guys, glad you like your units too! I love mine and it's perfect for me and all the trails close to my house. I'm a 29er only guy too, moonshine. We need to get together and ride one day. My unit is orange though so I guess i'll be slower than you.

Cheers!
    Don't be so fresh, DDSS! I'm a married man!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Yo Shine

Quote Originally Posted by Moonshine View Post
    Don't be so fresh, DDSS! I'm a married man!

Where you the dude at Windrock the other day? If you were, your a sick rigid mofoWay to crush Supercrusty!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fallon01 View Post
    Where you the dude at Windrock the other day? If you were, your a sick rigid mofoWay to crush Supercrusty!
    Yeah, that was me. Windrock is a baby's trail for me on the Kona and SuperCrusty is a sissy...

mtbr member
    What are your thoughts on the stock wheelset? POE? Weight?

mtbr member
    What are your thoughts on the stock wheelset? POE? Weight?
    I assume the stock wheelset is nothing to brag about, but mine has been great so far (at least 1 6-13 mile ride each week since Nov.). The '11 and '12 both have Formula hubs, but the '11 has Alex rims and the '12 was changed to WTB rims, but they are probably similar in spec. I'm probably a great "test" for the wheelset's longevity due to my weight; approx. 330lbs.! So if they will stand-up to my weight for at least a year I'll be happy!

I don't know what the POE is for the hub, but it's quite and engages nicely. And the weight of the bike will always be an issue if you're a "weight weenie" since its a steel frame. Mine is currently around 27lbs., and I'm sure I could get at least 2-4lbs. off easily (new wheelset, CF fork, tires, tubeless, etc.) but it's not worth the expense to me. Hope this helps!

mtbr member
    I got my 19" today. I switched to Easton carbon seatpost and Monkeylite carbon handlerbar. The bike is 26lb 8oz.

I'm not looking to weight weenie the bike but wouldn't mind dropping some weight. I'm guessing the stock wheelset is heavy and adds to the weight.

Edit: Just looked up the Alex rims EN24 rims. The 29'er rim weighs 550g with 19mm internal width . Pretty heavy IMO.

mtbr member
    I got my 19" today. I switched to Easton carbon seatpost and Monkeylite carbon handlerbar. The bike is 26lb 8oz.

I'm not looking to weight weenie the bike but wouldn't mind dropping some weight. I'm guessing the stock wheelset is heavy and adds to the weight.

Edit: Just looked up the Alex rims EN24 rims. The 29'er rim weighs 550g with 19mm internal width . Pretty heavy IMO.
    Switch the pedals out for some XT/XTR or Crank Bros. and lose the bash guard. Saved about 1/2lb. on my bike by doing it! Hope you enjoy your new bike!

mtbr member
    How are the chainring bolts supposed to be tightened or removed. The back female side of the bolt spins when using 5mm hex. The back side looks like it needs a large flat head screw driver to hold it in place.

Trail Prospector

prime target..

FYI - Before spending $$ on other parts you may want to check the wheels, they're heavy [2386g.]
    My factory wheels were the Alex EN24's laced to a Formula DC-52/ SS Hub with a 3 pawl/ 15 tooth freehub - 470g.
    The Formula DC-20 front has cone bearings - 278g., both were laced using straight gauge spokes & brass nips, plus the wire bead Ignitor's - 800g.
    I sold them when new, and built up some Flows [1985g.]
    IMO the Unit's wheels are it's low point, and if upgrading, or thinking tubeless make a prime target..
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyin_W View Post
    FYI - Before spending $$ on other parts you may want to check the wheels, they're heavy [2386g.]
    My factory wheels were the Alex EN24's laced to a Formula DC-52/ SS Hub with a 3 pawl/ 15 tooth freehub - 470g.
    The Formula DC-20 front has cone bearings - 278g., both were laced using straight gauge spokes & brass nips, plus the wire bead Ignitor's - 800g.
    I sold them when new, and built up some Flows [1985g.]
    IMO the Unit's wheels are it's low point, and if upgrading, or thinking tubeless make a prime target..
    Thanks for the info. very useful.

I was not aware the ignitors were that heavy. I will sell the wheelset and tires.

I'll use my Shimano MT75 wheelset with Ardent 2.25 front and Ikon on the rear. The MT75 weighs 1800g.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Supercrusty destroyer

Hey shine boy what tire were you using on the front the other day at Windrock? It wasnt the Ignitor tire was it? It looked liked a larger volume tire, if so did it ease the rigid fork out some? Sorry to bother you about the tire I guess I could have just looked at Supercrusty's back for the tread pattern.

Memeber's Only jackets will never die, rock on rigid!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fallon01 View Post
    Hey shine boy what tire were you using on the front the other day at Windrock? It wasnt the Ignitor tire was it? It looked liked a larger volume tire, if so did it ease the rigid fork out some? Sorry to bother you about the tire I guess I could have just looked at Supercrusty's back for the tread pattern.

Member's Only jackets will never die, rock on rigid!
    Had a 2.4 Ardent on the front, which does ease the pain of the rigid fork somewhat. And yes, you absolutely have to rock a Member's Only LEATHER jacket to fully appreciate the ride of a rigid bike. Supercrusty sucks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Thanks shine

thanks for the info. I have been looking at the Ardent. I believe im going to go the same route. The p2 fork rocks but wouldnt mind a little bit more cushion for the wrists. Yes supercrusty does suck and he is also a Class A ******bag.

mtbr member
    First ride on the Unit today.

I really like this bike. Best handling 29er I've ridden in terms of flickability and tight twisty single track.

Everything stock except:

Wheels: Shimano MT75 wheelset.
    Seatpost: Sette APX alloy seatpost
    Saddle: WTB Silverado
    Stem: Raceface XC
    Bar: Easton Monkeylite XC
    Grips: ESI
    Pedals: Time Atac Alium.
    Tires: Ardent 2.25 front Ikon 2.2 rear

mtbr member
    Hi guys,
    Im planning to get a 29er bike and Kona Unit is one of the models I'm considering besides Gary Fisher Marlin SS, Redline Monocog, Haro Mary and Karate Monkey. Im not from the States so I wonder where can I purchase the Kona Unit Online? thanks

mtbr member
    Here's my unit:

mtbr member
    Anyone? I cant wait to own one Kona Unit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deto View Post
    Anyone? I cant wait to own one Kona Unit.
    EMS is a Kona dealer. Call them up and see if they have any Units in stock. That's where I bought mine from but I bought it from their store.

mtbr member
    U mean Eastern Mountain Sports?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast