Thread: New Kahuna

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

New Kahuna

Thought i'd better chuck up a Pic..2013 Kona Kahuna

mtbr member
    Cool bike, I'm riding the same thing myself.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    nice! i have one too.

i put it into the ground on one of the first woopde's i railed on it... immediately snapped off the x5 shifter. first ride out!

i've since upgraded every single X5 component to x7 or x9. i also went to a reba fork and deore brakes.

i have to say, this frame is waaaaay waaaay nicer than the stock build gives the impression of. start upgrading and everything gets super, super focused and solid.

not to say the stock build isn't great- for the money especially, it's a great bike that will do a lot of fast, fun riding. i raced a 90 mile xc race through rock gardens and steep climbs on the stock 3x10.

while the stock rockshox xc32 fork is a little spongey and underdamped, (not bad but underwhelming to the initiated) the somewhat light and mechanical feel of the x5 kit and the springy suspension give you the feeling that the bike will tell you what it's doing and do it quick, without much complaint or, sadly, composure.

all that simple, unrefined, klunky and fragile feeling kit on the bike really made me feel like i could trust and expect exactly what i was going to get from the bike... even if i did something i knew it wasn't intended for. i wasn't anticipating any works of magic or supreme finesse, and that made me confident enough to do some things the bike really wasn't ever meant to do. and the frame handled all of that really pretty well.

but once you get nicer parts on it this thing REALLY flies. it just opens up so much of the potential for a really fast, solid, exact tool that can scream over singletrack with as much composure and speed as it takes effort. just with a new fork it's so precise and such a great fast singletrack rocket, it totally made the bike come alive in that race feel kind of sense.

with x9 kit and stiffer, lighter cranks(x7 double) this bike becomes SO much more clear, composed, and responsive. the reba fork i have is just in a whole new ballpark in terms of response and tune- it's a great fork and works some wonder compared to any other fork i've ridden, but with that wonder also comes a bit of a gap for my confidence... it's suddenly so much clearer what the intention of the bike is, and its design and intended use is... that if you put it into a situation it is not meant for, you get this sense that the bike is screaming "HEY STOP SCREWING AROUND AND POINT ME AT SOME SINGLETRACK!" or "SPEED UP AND STOP LOSING YOUR LINE IN THIS TECHNICAL CRAP" or "WHY THE HELL ARE YOU PUTTING ME IN THE AIR? I'M A CROSS COUNTRY BIKE I WILL NOT BE PUT IN THE AIR!" if i even hint at more trail features that are even slightly more playful.

it almost feels like its awoken the bike to what it excels at best, but with that focus and refinement lost a lot of its approachability and willingness when pushed to more playful riding.

it's a cross country bike, pure and simple. i'd recommend it to anyone wanting a hardtail twentyniner at that price level but i think people that live close to trails or want something a little more playful and perhaps less racey should look at the taro.

i think the kahuna is a rocketship worthy of racing with the best, and even this base model represents a great platform to Go Really Fast On... but once you get nicer parts on it you'll realize it's not a jack of all trades... with the right pilot it's damn near a master of xc!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Any pics? Yeah I've begun the process of upgrading stuff already...have a Type 2 to put on and are slowly gathering parts to go 2x10. Would love to change the fork and brakes but i'll probably just wear them out first. Any idea of the weight of yours? I've never been able to find out much the Kahuna. I really like it though!

mtbr member
    Show us some pictures cc700, we want to see the sweet upgrades!

mtbr member
    May 2012

love this bike!

mtbr member
    Killer ride! I bet the SRAM x9 and reba fork made all the difference in the world.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Cool! Any idea of weight?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    i'm pretty sure i lost a pound or more on the fork and probably another pound on the cranks and derailleurs. it's definitely got most of the weight still in the wheels and tires, and it's not a super light frame from what i can tell either. i can weigh it sometime this week and get back to you.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by beater32 View Post
    Cool! Any idea of weight?
    29.25 lbs

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I've got one too, I'm boring though and haven't done anything yet but cut the bars down a little. Felt like I was riding an elk with giant antlers. Hopefully if the weather clears up I can take it out more and find excuses to upgrade

ali'i hua
    picking mine up this friday! first new bike in too many years off.