mtbr member

Need some insight on a few models...

Been a fairly casual rider for quite a while now, but am looking to pick things up after finishing up my collegiate athletics(no more worry about unneeded biking injuries).

My LBS is having a decent sale on a lot of their older inventory. I'd like to go check all of these options out individually, but the LBS is actually a small chain around the state, so the different models are spaced out between stores.

Here's what I have my eye on:
    2008 Caldera
    2011 Blast
    2011 Mahuna 29er
    2011 Unit

I think my top choices are the Caldera or the Blast from my brief research. I kind of wanted my next bike to be a 29er, but am not set on that. Seems as if the Mahuna is a little lower quality in terms of components... and I would end up converting to geared and a front shock if I went with the Unit, which might be a little more than I'm looking to spend all at once.

Just looking for a few thoughts on those choices.
    Thans

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The 2011 Blast is a very well speced bike for the price.Thats what I would pick...
    Is the 2008 Caldera new?

mtbr member
    The Unit's hub is single speed specific, so if you want to add gears, you will need a new hub or new wheel. Personally, I love riding rigid single speed.
    Ghisallo Wheels

I'm really good looking.

Bicycle Radical
    I personally think the Blast is the best of those choices.
    Free people must travel the road to productive social relations at the speed of a bicycle.- Ivan Illich