Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Need Help With Kona Dawg Size Selection

8K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  archer 
#1 ·
Hi - I need some advice from Kona Dawg owners regarding what size Dawg they ride.

I'm 6'2'', with a 34" inseam, and am stuck between the 19 and 20" models. TT lengths are 23.9 and 24.4" each.

I currently ride a Bontrager Race with a 23.3" TT. I have a Race Face extended seat post on it, because I like a longer top tube/ more stretch.

What size Kona Dawg are you riding, and how tall are you?

Thanks for any and all help.

-Darren

#6 ·
They are both the same

I have a 19, and I am 6'2". It feels just fine, and frankly I dont know if the difference between a 19 and 20 will even be noticable. I took the 19 because thats all my LBS had, but I rode a 20 Kikapoo, and they felt the same to me. If anything, you might gain a bit more control over a slightly smaller bike.

#9 ·
I am 5' 11" with a 33" inseam and 35" long arms. I found that a 19" Kona Dawg with an Easton High-Rise bar fits me perfectly. For your size I would probably recommend the larger frame. It goes without saying that the best things to do is to test ride each size and make the decision. When I purchased the 19" Dawg I also tested a 18" model, but the smaller size was too compact.

Cheers,

John

#10 · (Edited)
1 Day Ago #7
snaphooks
mtbr member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

found a 20" Kona Dawg on craigslist. I'm 6'0", 30" inseam, 175lbs. Is this too big?

THanks,
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm 6'1" with a 33" inseam, riding a 2006 20" Dawg frame. I fit really well on it, but feel like I am maxing out the standover.

Do a book standover test, pull a book up your crotch as far as you can while standing then measure height from the floor. Subtract 1-2" and that is the maximum standover you are looking for. Most manufacturers list standover with their bike specs.

#11 ·
Since this post is from 2004 I highly doubt the OP still needs help.

My origional thought was to comment that I'd just responded to a similar thread a couple three months ago and that scrolling down would give a set of replies to the same question.

Then I noticed the date.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.