mtbr member

My new Kona FS.....and the one I bought in 1996!

I posted this in an existing thread elsewhere on the forum, but I thought it was worth putting in the Kona section.

I just bought my old Kona FS back from my brother, I sold it to him in 1999 when I bought a Marin.

It does not look dated next to my new 2013 Tanuki Deluxe, even after seventeen years, but the new bike is in a different league to ride off road.

After riding both bikes on my regular off road route, the suspension on the old one barely seems to do anything, although I remember at the time it was a revelation after my completely rigid 1993 Kona Cinder Cone.

The Magura hydraulic rim brakes work well, and the gears are fine. The old bike is five pounds lighter in weight. The fork is a Manitou Mach 5 SX from about 1995 that I fitted when the bike was new.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My new Kona FS.....and the one I bought in 1996!-imag0259.jpg  

My new Kona FS.....and the one I bought in 1996!-imag0252.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lotusdriver View Post
    It does not look dated next to my new 2013 Tanuki Deluxe, even after seventeen years, but the new bike is in a different league to ride off road.
    Doesn't look dated?! Rim brakes, steep head tube angle, stem you can play football on and a fork without "lawyer tabs"...looks well kept, but very dated to me. Good Kona stoke though!
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    Yes looking at it you are right!

What l should have put was "At first glance/to those not familiar with mountain bikes, the old bike does not look that dated"

My wife for instance, said the old one looked "the same except for the colour"

She would not notice the things mentioned above.

Norđwegr
    The old one kind of reminds me of a modern Ellsworth..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lotusdriver View Post

My wife for instance, said the old one looked "the same except for the colour"

She would not notice the things mentioned above.
    This is why I try to stick with the same color bike when buying a new one...she'll never know...
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    Well, I've given the old yellow Kona to my friend to use, he currently rides a $200 supermarket full susser, that looks to be made from old railway track and recycled steam engine parts.
    It has a "disc brake" on the front that works once when adjusted then does nothing, gears that won't stay in unless you keep hold of the shifter, a "suspension" fork with 20mm travel, and a shock made from an what looks like an old trampoline spring, and steel wheels better suited for use as garden rollers.
    The whole bike weighs 46 pounds
    The Kona at just under 26 pounds is a little over half the weight!

So he thinks it is superb, just like I did back in 1996.