mtbr member

... and if we just ... My new 05 Coiler!

I got her in last friday! I waited 2 weeks for it. My dealer put an XT rear deraillur, better BB in, and put a 2.7 WTB timberwolf on the front, and a Nokian 2.5 on the rear, for no extra money. I am running homemade tubeless, check my thread if you wanna know. It handles very well for having a 14 inch high bb "big tires added to it." Comming from a ridged, i was very accustom to being able to hammer the pedals. I had to learn to smooth the pedal strokes out a bit. The sus bobb isnt as bad as what i expected. No bob sitting, and managable bobb while out of the saddle. You dont want to do extened climbs out of the saddle though. It shifts like a charm, and the suspension is smooooth !!! I havent done any serious drops/jumps yet, as i am trying to get used to the geometry. It eats up 3-4 ft hucks for sure. The coiler truely inspires loads of confidence on the trail. Did i menchon that the color is beautiful! Job well done Kona!!!! 5 Stars

Last edited by Mountainbikextremist; 05-12-2005 at 06:57 PM.
    If I want your opinion, I will give give it to you...

You got like 3 feet of air that time... -Napoleon Dynamite

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountainbikextremist
    I got her in last friday! I waited 2 weeks for it. My dealer put an XT rear deraillur, better BB in, and put a 2.7 WTB timberwolf on the front, and a Nokian 2.5 on the rear, for no extra money. I am running homemade tubeless, check my thread if you wanna know. It handles very well for having a 14 inch high bb "big tires added to it." Comming from a ridged, i was very accustom to being able to hammer the pedals. I had to learn to smooth the pedal strokes out a bit. The sus bobb isnt as bad as what i expected. No bob sitting, and managable bobb while out of the saddle. You dont want to do extened climbs out of the saddle though. It shifts like a charm, and the suspension is smooooth !!! I havent done any serious drops/jumps yet, as i am trying to get used to the geometry. It eats up 3-4 ft hucks for sure. The coiler truely inspires loads of confidence on the trail. Job well done Kona!!!! 5 Stars
    Congrats, I also just got my Kona but it is the Stinky. It is the second day for me and it is like a drug for me, just dont want to stop biking. The only thing that is not good about the bike right now is the rear brake, my friend pulled the brake lever when there where no pads in the caliper and the system leaked, that can be fixed. Here is the pic:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by odinnn; 05-13-2005 at 05:17 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by odinnn
    Congrats, I also just got my Kona but it is the Stinky. It is the second day for me and it is like a drug for me, just dont want to stop biking. The only thing that is not good about the bike right now is the rear brake, my friend pulled the brake lever when there where no pads in the caliper and the system leaked, that can be fixed. Was gonna put up a pic but it wont upload
    Glad ur enjoying your Stinky! I just figured out how to upload my pic. Happy trails!

mtbr member
    Love those tires, they look badazz. 2.7 in the front wow! How did you manage to get any wider in the back? I think I would have issues with the chain or derailleur if I went any wider on my Coiler. Whats you secret? BB wider?

mtbr member

Get Nokian NBX 2.5's

If its an 05 Coiler a Nokian NBX 2.5 should work. They fit in the frame, although its a bit of a squeaze in the rear ark. No tire rub either, and they should be better than the stock tires. They also work well with homemade tubeless as well. Good luck!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Nice bikes! Good idea on the bigger tire upgrade, may do that myself. I just ordered an '05 coiler, 17" (I'm 5'6"). I'm an XC weenie and couldn't go with the 15" - too upright on the riding position. The high BB and standover will just have to be dealt with as I learn the new bike.

Anyone have an opinion on putting an 8" rotor up front on that standard QR Marz. drop-off? With the hayes Nines it's only a bracket and a rotor. I'm barely 140 pounds soaking wet. Although, I am only a few hours from Moab...

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    The 160 mm rotor is probably fine for your weight. You could go to a 185 mm rotor with an Avid mount.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

BGR / MCM #311
    Congrats!!!!! I love my Coiler Primo....even though she's out of commission only after 4 rides She'll be back under my deriere mas grande soon enough....

Have fun with that blue beauty!!!!

terry
    Boogers and Birthdays....the more you have...the harder it is to breath

mtbr member
    What happend Terry?

BGR / MCM #311
    Messed around at the MTX course...then went zipping off down the trail...started hearing "creeeeeeeeaaaak"...stopped...checked it out....the left crank arm came free from the spindle. Race Face is warrantying it (atlas), but it'll be a week before she's back in one piece.

t

mtbr member
    That suks, I have a similar problem, my friend pulled the brake with no pads in the caliper and it leaked so now I dont have any rear brake. But it is not that bad, I am just learning to ride with just the front and it has helped me getting some braking skills.

BGR / MCM #311
    That suks, I have a similar problem, my friend pulled the brake with no pads in the caliper and it leaked so now I dont have any rear brake. But it is not that bad, I am just learning to ride with just the front and it has helped me getting some braking skills.
    *giggle* time for new pads and a bleed!! I watched my buddy get some "braking skills" during his very first XC race yesterday. I promised to ride with him for encouragement. He's only had the bike since March and has already decided to race all 8 races in our series. He found out that when you get tired and go ripping through gravity dips and ravines, it's easy to grab too much front brake...especially when you are green and don't have the habit of getting your ass back!!! I think he got tired of hearing me urge him on...without being out of breath...and I'm 40 lbs heavier than him...lol. He wanted to stop...then puke...then punch me in the neck...hee hee.

terry

mtbr member
    Yeah it was a little funny testing out the brakes for the first time, so little force needed. My last bike was so bad, it had V brakes and the spoke was like the sea on a stormy day and my knuckels turned white when I tryed to brake.

My dad stole the front tire when I got my Stinky, you would not belive how ugly his bike looks like

BGR / MCM #311
    you would not belive how ugly his bike looks like
    It CAN'T be as UGLY as THAT Scott!!!! Hee hee!! Looks like you beat your money's worth out of that ride!!!

mtbr member
    I havent been riding it much for the last year but now I just cant stop riding, I want to stop working and ride. I am going to ride to work tomorrow so I can ride in lunch break.

I will post pic of my dads bike tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fireboy
    It CAN'T be as UGLY as THAT Scott!!!! Hee hee!! Looks like you beat your money's worth out of that ride!!!
    Behold the superbike of all superbikes, Bronco Rocket, it goes like a rocket and should only be used once like rockets. I have asked my dad to buy him self a new bike (he can afford it) but nnnoooo, he rides this sh1t and I pretend that I dont know him.

BGR / MCM #311
    ... he rides this sh1t and I pretend that I dont know him.
    LOL...too funny

mtbr member
    Lol, thats funny! I get a kick out of old school bikes!! Looks kina painful to ride

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountainbikextremist
    Lol, thats funny! I get a kick out of old school bikes!! Looks kina painful to ride
    *evil laugh* I am taking over this thread */evil laught*

Here is a pic of me taking the biggest drop to flat I have ever done, 120 cm or 3.93700787 feet and as you can see I only used the rear shock this time but it was still a smooth landing.

Stay strong and keep on riding.

mtbr member
    Where's your helmet man???

mtbr member
    I'm waiting for it to ship from the US. Also we where not planing to hit anything that ride, our riding club was meeting for the first time this summer and I got bored. Sorry will try to remember nex time