Brake. Fix. Repeat.
    May 2009

My Explosif (re)build

A few years ago I crashed this bike pretty badly following a buddy on his DH rig. Over the handlebars in a shower of spokes straight into a tree. The bike followed me into the tree and the seat took the weight of the bike,seat rails were bent far beyond repair, the Manitou fork started leaking like crazy, and my front Hayes brake line did the same. I decided to get a DH bike to better suit my riding style, and my wounded 2001 Exposif sat in pieces for a very long time.

At the end of this summer I sold my heavily modified '91 BMW 318is ( '94 6cyl swap, built suspension, every rubber part replaced, etc) and recently really began to miss having a car to work on, living where I do a car is really pointless and a real hassle with parking, etc. So I decided to do a detailed rebuild of my bike to fill this void over my christmas holiday and have a better way to get around the city as I loath waiting for busses.

What I needed was a sweet machine, but as under-cover as possible. Essentially a nice bike without the bling that attracts *****bags who steal bikes. Following that mentality, my main goal was to remove any and all manufacturers marks from the bike and all the parts. If it looks old and generic it probably isn't worth stealing, right? The Rat Rod look.

People like pictures, so here goes:

Pre-crash from years ago:

First step was to find a new fork, as good a fork as possible for the least amount of money. I found this Fox F80RLC on craigslist, and promptly be-stickered it

Time to rebuild the Fork. Nothing special, just new top seals and a new updated air piston o-ring and of course new fluids. I also removed the spacer to get to 100mm of travel. I know the frame is designed for 80mm, but I wanted to try it out. Free travel? Why not.

Stripping the frame for paint. I have an automotive paint gun and access to a paint booth whenever I want it, so I figured I'd take advantage of that and paint it a nice dark burnt orange/brown color.

While stripping the frame I found this great gold color underneath, and the little streaks of black and white paint left on the frame gives it a cool fake patina. Following the philosophy of this build I decided to leave it unfinished. Crackheads prefer to steal shiny painted stuff after all!

Going over everything diligently! Lots of scrubbing and removal of ancient grease and grime. Everything that could come apart did.

Got a barely used FSA XC-300 wheelset for an excellent price to replace the destroyed front wheel. Mr. Craig, your list is irreplaceable! They were promptly de-stickered. Also scored a titanium Avocet seat to replace the SDG that got destroyed.

My friend just bought a powder coating gun to use on parts for his '74 BMW 2002 ( Old Blue 2002 (1974 BMW 2002 Content) - R3VLimited Forums ) so i decided to black-out and powder coat everything I could. The powder bakes at 350, so paper towel was the weapon of choice for filling in the screw holes, nice and easy.

A few of the finished parts

Then I put her together. New cables and housings, new headset, new chain, and some Avid Codes I had laying around to replace the busted (and outdated) Hayes.

And here's how she sits now, not much to look at but 100% refreshed. Still not quite finished tho. Pedals will be powder coated white soon, and I need white grips so I can get rid of the fake plastic chrome grip ends. Chainrings and cassette still need to be powdered black, as well as the center of the rotor and the adjustment knobs on the Fox 32. Rear disk brake adaptor gets here next thursday so I will finally have disks all around. Tubeless tires when I have the cash, and black spray paint for the front and rear derailleurs because powder coat and plastic don't mix! But here she is for now, finally rideable after a good 4 years of sitting broken and lonely!

Next up will be my Iron Horse 7 point in the background. She will be getting a very special paint-job from this man cause I don't have to worry about leaving her locked up anywhere

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I have to say you've failed. If I was a thief, I'd steal it, no question.

That primer coat looks way better than the white/black original finish, doesn't it?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    haha yeah if i were a thief I would definitely steal that!

Brake. Fix. Repeat.
    May 2009
    Lol thanks for the kind words guys

Brake. Fix. Repeat.
    May 2009
    So my sister borrowed it without asking...

And then some jackass stole it off of her car and it took 12 days for her to tell me.

Extra Crispy
    Sorry to hear about the theft.

I've got an '07 Explosif and it would devastate me if it were stolen. It's got an '04 Fox Float 80RL on it which looks extremely similar to that 80RLC... what instructions did you follow for rebuilding it? Where'd you get parts?
    Now with eggs.

Brake. Fix. Repeat.
    May 2009
    Watch this video, shows you everything.

Competitive Cyclist shows you how to overhaul your Fox forks and shocks - YouTube

I got the fox suspension fluid from the local motorcycle shop. Much cheaper than the bike shop. Your LBS should have new fork seals. Ask them for the new SKF seals, fox uses them on their new forks and it's a nice upgrade. They fit perfectly on older fox forks. Or order Enduro For Seals from here
    REAL WORLD CYCLING AFTERMARKET COMPONENTS, BEARINGS, & SEALS
    Most people consider it an upgrade, no idea how they compare to the SKF seals.

Anyway, good luck. It's actually quite simple. Just make sure you don't spill the fork oil everywhere...

this is the bike you sister stole?! Whoah dude, kill her; if not for you, for me. That bike is so fresh. You did a mint job on it. And you put all that work in to it! Wow. That hurts me even more now that I see the bike and all the love you put into it. You're a better man than I, I'm fairly certain I would have lost it on her. Major condolences for your loss. Wish I could do something to help ya.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

I was going to hope that this bike sat on Craigslist for two more weeks so I could buy it next paycheck. I know your in Cali and shipping's a ***** but it's something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.