Nor­wegr

Idea! My 2013/14 Winterproject, Honzo!

Long story short I sold some paintball stuff and ended up talking about bikes with the guy I sold it to. He had a Honzo and I began researching it online afterwards..

A day later I owned a frame and here's my journey to making it worthy of my local trails!

I'm probably going to way overshoot the cost of a complete NIB Honzo from CRC, but in the end I'll be alot happier with the bike becaus I built it myself

Current partslist which is subject to change later on in the thread as I so far only own the brakes, rear rim and frame:

Frame: 2013 Honzo in 16"
    Fork: RockShox Revelation RCT3
    Frontwheel:
    Rear Rim: Derby Wide
    Rear Hub: P321 or Hope
    Spokes: No idea
    Brakes: Magura MT4 or Zee (I own the MT4s already..)
    Discs: Magura Storm SL

Crank: Shimano Zee
    Pedals: Eggbeater 2s (Cheap and work alright)
    Chainring: Raceface Narrow/Wide 34t
    Chain: Shimano XT
    Cassette: Shimano XT 11-36
    Derailleur: Shimano Zee M640
    Shifter: Shimano Zee M640

Bar: Renthal Fatbar
    Grips: Some nice foamies or Cannondale/Sram lock-ons
    Stem:
    Seatpost: KS E-ten Lever
    Seat: San Marco Racing Aspide with crmo rails.

Headset, not sure at all. Everyone recommends Cane Creek so I suppose I'll get one of those. Angleset any use on the Honzo?

Suggestions or other tips appreciated!
    Last edited by Vegard; 10-27-2013 at 05:03 PM.

mtbr member
    Definitely get the CC40 headset. No point in anything else other than if you want Chris King bling $$$.

Here's what I posted before about tapered fork headsets in the Honzo thread previously on the matter:

Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    It's been covered so many times.

Cane Creek 40

Universal Cycles -- Cane Creek 40 EC44/40 1.5" Lower Assembly
    Universal Cycles -- Cane Creek 40-Series ZS44 Upper Assembly

Cane Creek 110
    Universal Cycles -- Cane Creek 110 EC44/40 1.5" Lower Assembly
    Universal Cycles -- Cane Creek 110-Series ZS44 1 1/8" Upper Assembly

Chris King Inset7
    Universal Cycles -- Chris King Griplock InSet 7 Tapered Headset

Nukerproof
    Nukeproof Warhead 44IETS Headset 2012 | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

I have a CC40 and would definitely buy it again, anything above that is just bike bling.

There's also a Hope headset that fits, its lower cup is huge and most likely will have to be special ordered via LBS from Hope UK directly.
    As for bars, for the 2013 orange/gold frame, the Renthal Fatbar look wickedly awesome with that frame color. I would look at those.

Also I would skip the Zee crankset and just buy an SLX, preferably the dual ring M665 model, almost as light as the XT, stiff, metal pedal inserts, and looks better than the Deore-looking badged Zee crankset.

Nor­wegr
    Thanks! I started reading through the thread, but there's alot of pages, page 21 is still in the future

The Zee crank has steel pedal inserts, cranks are cranks and if they don't perform they were cheap!

The Renthal Fatbar is on my list now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I was going to suggest getting the SLX 665 cranks but Eurospek already has you covered. One major difference the SLX has over the Zee cranks is hollowforge II arms. Zee cranks arms are Deore level solid arms. Also the 665's can run a granny if you ever want to. I am not sure what you paid but Bluesky has 665's for $140.

Here is a finished 2013 16" for inspiration (not a shameless plug )

My 2013/14 Winterproject, Honzo!-honzo-front-angle.jpg

Nor­wegr
    Any thoughts on wether or not a 32 fox float with a 15mm axle will be enough fork for this bike?

I'm a relatively light rider at 70kg and buying a 34 fox or a pike can end up being very expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by beer_coffee_water View Post
    I was going to suggest getting the SLX 665 cranks but Eurospek already has you covered. One major difference the SLX has over the Zee cranks is hollowforge II arms. Zee cranks arms are Deore level solid arms. Also the 665's can run a granny if you ever want to. I am not sure what you paid but Bluesky has 665's for $140.
    Thanks, your bike looks great!
    I'm never going back to more than one chainring, but I'll look into the slx or even the xt crank. All depends on how much $ I manage to find between the cracks on the couch.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegard View Post
    Any thoughts on wether or not a 32 fox float will be noticable squirmy and not very stiff? It has a 15mm axle.

I'm a fairly light rider at 70kg and buying a 34 or a pike can end up being very expensive.
    What's your fork budget? And where are you located? That will help with tracking down a better deal.

But if you're looking at 32mm stanchion forks, the Revelation with 20mm Maxle has been noted to be much stiffer than Fox's 32mm offerings with the 15QR.

Also worth checking out is the X-Fusion Trace, usually about 2/3 price of a Pike or Fox 34.

Nor­wegr
    I just found the x-fusion trace when searching, looks like I can get it for about $700 which is pike territory I guess.

I don't want to spend more than $2000 on the parts I don't have, perferably less. Live in Norway, but I have a US shipping addy aswell.

mtbr member
    Then I would look no further than the 2012 Revelation from CRC. With your weight, 32mm stanchions and 20mm Maxle should suffice.

You can either get the RL or RCT3 for a little more. Plus I believe the RL 130mm travel can be upped to 140mm via spacer removal inside. Plus watch those prices on CRC, those forks fluctuate a bit and I've seem them close to $400 as well.

RockShox Revelation RL 29" Dual Air 1.5" Taper 2012 | Chain Reaction Cycles

RockShox Revelation RCT3 29" Dual Air 1.5" Taper 2012 | Chain Reaction Cycles

Nor­wegr
    Oh wow, for some reason I never saw those two on CRC, perhaps because I was looking for 15mm axles. After taxes it'll cost me about $500 for the RCT3, same as a current sektor gold so it's a no-brainer. Thanks!

Granted the gold anno on the trace would look sweet with the '13 frame..

Nor­wegr
    One problem with the RCT3 and the 20mm axle is finding a wheel, my usual lineup of stores don't have much to offer. (Wiggle, CRC, bike-components.de)

CRC has a neat Easton Haven set, but they don't offer the 20mm and 12x142 as a set and refused to mix and match a set for me.
    Easton Haven MTB Wheelset | Chain Reaction Cycles

mtbr member
    One problem with the RCT3 and the 20mm axle is finding a wheel, my usual lineup of stores don't have much to offer. (Wiggle, CRC, bike-components.de)

CRC has a neat Easton Haven set, but they don't offer the 20mm and 12x142 as a set and refused to mix and match a set for me.
    Easton Haven MTB Wheelset | Chain Reaction Cycles
    How set are you on those wheels anyway? Aren't they convertible after purchase or strictly a one-trick pony?

If I was buying wheels today, I would look no further than the new Hope Hoops with the updated Pro 2 Evo hubset and 40 POE mated with some Stans Flow EX, or in your weight case, some Arch EX. I wanted these originally with my build, but I blew some of the budget on the Fox 34 plus I scooped up a set of Sun Ringle Charger Experts for only $300 and they've been bombproof thus far, even sound similar to Hopes.

Best price currently for them is here (and they are shipping with the 40 POE hubs already), Hope Hoops Pro2 Evo 29er Arch Ex Wheelset | Wheels MTB | - Cycle Sports UK

FM
    luxatio erecta
    I have the carbon Havens and they've been incredible. Not sure how the aluminum compares. However, if I lived outside the states, I'd be considering small parts availability.

Forks- you shouldn't have any issues finding a used fox 34 in good condition for that price range. I'd take that over a new Rev. I think I paid $350 for mine.

Try to get your head tube reamed & faced. My honzo was seriously undersize, and others have had similar issues. Easy fix if you can locate a 44mm reamer.

Nor­wegr
    So far I've purchased the zee derailleur, shifter, xt chain and cassette. Probably going with a XT crank as I found it was barely more money than the SLX and only $35 more than the Zee crank.

Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    How set are you on those wheels anyway? Aren't they convertible after purchase or strictly a one-trick pony?

If I was buying wheels today, I would look no further than the new Hope Hoops with the updated Pro 2 Evo hubset and 40 POE mated with some Stans Flow EX, or in your weight case, some Arch EX. I wanted these originally with my build, but I blew some of the budget on the Fox 34 plus I scooped up a set of Sun Ringle Charger Experts for only $300 and they've been bombproof thus far, even sound similar to Hopes.

Best price currently for them is here (and they are shipping with the 40 POE hubs already), Hope Hoops Pro2 Evo 29er Arch Ex Wheelset | Wheels MTB | - Cycle Sports UK
    Not very, they just had them in stock and seemed to have the qualities I wanted in a wheelset. Until recently I rode P321 hubs built to crest rims so going the hope hoops route is one I'm considering! Thank you for the link to the store.

What's the sound like on the Hope hubs? My P321s are like a continually spun code dial on a safe, makes your presence known by pedestrians and wildlife everywhere :P

Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    I have the carbon Havens and they've been incredible. Not sure how the aluminum compares. However, if I lived outside the states, I'd be considering small parts availability.
    Forks- you shouldn't have any issues finding a used fox 34 in good condition for that price range. I'd take that over a new Rev. I think I paid $350 for mine.

Try to get your head tube reamed & faced. My honzo was seriously undersize, and others have had similar issues. Easy fix if you can locate a 44mm reamer.
    I've actually purchased a carbon rim (derby wide) which I'm planning to build up for the rear, it was only $299 which is reasonable I think. Buying a full carbon wheelset for my fun plinker bike is probably not something I'd be willing to do as I already sprung a leak from buying P321s on 27.5 Enve rims for my Scalpel this year. They were indeed awesome, but oh so expensive.

Buying forks used is something I'm somewhat weary to do, you never know if the seller is speaking the truth or how the fork has been treated. I'd rather take the extra hit and buy nib, if some of my overflow bike stuff sells I might get a Pike which I figure can move on with me to other builds later on.

Reaming is something I've read about, but only for 2012 frames; so far I haven't found anyone having issues with the newer ones. I will however inspect the frame closely when it arrives. Thank you for the heads up!

Nor­wegr
    Todays mailrun..

two wheel whore
    Merry xmas

Nor­wegr
    Got a Pike and head to toe Hope bits coming my way now. Wheels will have to wait a while

Quote Originally Posted by Shmoo View Post
    Merry xmas
    Hehe, thanks :P

Nor­wegr

10 minutes of building and voilß, just got to pick out a wheelset and I can go coasting.

Nor­wegr

Only missing a rear rotor and fiddling with the axles

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Your Honzo looks good. How's the E-ten working for you? I want a dropper but I spent what I had saved up on a set of King hubs for a LB wheel build. Not sure if I even deserve that great of hubs. They were a great price though.

mtbr member
    sweet! give us a report after you ride the hell out of it.

Nor­wegr
    Quote Originally Posted by beer_coffee_water View Post
    Your Honzo looks good. How's the E-ten working for you? I want a dropper but I spent what I had saved up on a set of King hubs for a LB wheel build. Not sure if I even deserve that great of hubs. They were a great price though.
    Thanks, I'm very happy with the final look aswell. I was torn between gold and black accents and as it turns out black was the right choice for me. There's actually some gold TI screws on the brakes, but very hard to tell from the pic.
    (/Ends vanity mode)

The E-ten actually ended up on my Fatbike and it is a very nice post if you don't want to deal with the extra hoses of remote posts.
    Feels very plush and smooth in it's travel, my gripe though is that the lever is composite(?), it does not feel very sturdy at all.

The post picture is a similar model from Procraft which is a German brand that has received good reviews in Europe. The build quality feels alot better and the construction is all metal. However there is something that bugs me about it and that is that the travel and stiffness was probably meant for someone alot heavier than me, so I have a hard time compressing it with my weight (approx 160lbs). When I hit the lever and the post extends it sometimes feels like I'm about to be ejected if I stay seated on it :P

LB wheels are definitely a good upgrade, probably alot better than a dropper at first!
    I want carbon wheels eventually, but I'm not sure if it'll be for the Honzo or the 29er after that.

I've built this with frame swaps in mind, the more I can carry on to my next bike the better. Carbon wheels definitely fit that picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Lamey View Post
    sweet! give us a report after you ride the hell out of it.
    Will do, I don't have spiked tires yet though so it's limited what I can do in the ski slopes, spring is still 3-4 months out

mtbr member
    dang... that's a long time to go without riding!

Nor­wegr
    Hehe, but that's why I have this

mtbr member
    hell I could have used that a few times this year.... and im in Alabama!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    LB wheels are definitely a good upgrade, probably alot better than a dropper at first!
    The wheels on my Honzo are nice enough, well at one point they were. I have a Flow/3.30 hub factory build for the rear and a used i23/DT 350 up front. The Flow has a massive flat spot, various dings and it won't true. The i23 has a ding in it for the PO buts seems to be true. I hope carbon wheels bounce back a little better from my stupidity.