mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Modify my Unit or buy a Dew?

I would like to start commuting to work by bike and I have a 2011 Unit. Plan A is to keep the Unit the way it is and buy a Dew Plus but some of the components aren't the best. I would consider the Dr.Dew for the better components but I don't like the new frame design. I could go with the Dew Plus and plan to upgrade some components down the road.

Plan B is to modify the Unit. I would change over to more of a road tire and add gears in the back (maybe 1x9). I'm new to the world of bike modification so I'm not sure how much it would cost to make the Unit a 1x9. After some searching I found that Kona makes a dropout with a hanger that would work but I don't know how extensive the parts list would get for swap. I'm guessing a new hub, cassette, derailleur, chain, cable, shifter but I don't know how to check to see what will be compatible.

I'm leaning toward buying a Dew Plus to have different bikes for different applications but I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance for any responses!

Evan

mtbr member
    FWIW, my wife has a Dew (the one with disc brakes, maybe Plus? not sure) and it is heavier than the Unit I just built up, and I wasn't really trying to save weight anywhere. Although the wheels alone probably do it. I have the der. hanger on my Unit which was prob. $20 and 2x9. Not hard to do. The most expensive part would be the hub and wheel rebuild, or new rear wheel, maybe?

All that said, I probably wouldn't choose a 1x9 setup for commuting, but that's just my opinion.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cackalacky View Post
    FWIW, my wife has a Dew (the one with disc brakes, maybe Plus? not sure) and it is heavier than the Unit I just built up, and I wasn't really trying to save weight anywhere. Although the wheels alone probably do it. I have the der. hanger on my Unit which was prob. $20 and 2x9. Not hard to do. The most expensive part would be the hub and wheel rebuild, or new rear wheel, maybe?

All that said, I probably wouldn't choose a 1x9 setup for commuting, but that's just my opinion.
    Thanks for the input.

One of my considerations is the more relaxed geometry of the Dew frame. That seems more appealing to me for this purpose. I haven't found a retailer that sells Dew frames. I wonder if there are similar frames out there that can be purchased bare, then I could build it up with whatever parts I want.

mtbr member
    Yeah the Dew is a fun bike. I almost bought one for myself a while back. I take my wife's out occasionally. Can't you order a Dew frame-only from a Kona dealer? That's how I got my Unit. Or maybe used, I see a lot of used Dew's for sale.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I ended up buying a few parts for the Unit. I'll ride it for a while like this before I consider adding gears. I'm really happy with the new saddle and Thudbuster combo. The slight rise in the bars makes my neck happier too. I picked up some Planet Bike Cascadia II Hybrid Fenders but haven't put them on yet.

Crank Brothers Cobalt 1 XC Riser Bar (680mm)
    Cane Creek Thudbuster ST 27.2mm X 400mm
    Planet Bike A.R.S. Standard Saddle
    Schwalbe Marathon - 700 x 35c