Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    7

    Marzocchi Drop-Off Shocks (Kona Coiler)

    I just bought a Kona Coiler, and am wondering what the proper psi is for each shock leg on the front Marzocchi Drop-off fork. I read the online manual and came up with 30-40 psi right leg, and 0-15 psi left. However, I tried this and the shocks was waaayyy too hard, much harder than the factory setting. I've messed around with the it and i just can't get the shock to feel right. It may be that i'm using a manitou shock gauge/pump to inflate the shocks, istead of a marzocchi pump. Anyways, could anyone tell me what the proper psi for each leg shoudl be? I way about 130 lbs.

    Thanks Much,
    Mike

  2. #2
    I post too much.
    Reputation: snaky69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,448
    Quote Originally Posted by boardinboy101
    I just bought a Kona Coiler, and am wondering what the proper psi is for each shock leg on the front Marzocchi Drop-off fork. I read the online manual and came up with 30-40 psi right leg, and 0-15 psi left. However, I tried this and the shocks was waaayyy too hard, much harder than the factory setting. I've messed around with the it and i just can't get the shock to feel right. It may be that i'm using a manitou shock gauge/pump to inflate the shocks, istead of a marzocchi pump. Anyways, could anyone tell me what the proper psi for each leg shoudl be? I way about 130 lbs.

    Thanks Much,
    Mike
    There's the recommended setting... then there's you personal preference, try an in-between

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by snaky69
    There's the recommended setting... then there's you personal preference, try an in-between
    Thanks for the reply.
    Yes, well i've tried to figure that out, I just think it would be helpful to know some other peoples psi settings with the kona coiler's front shock.

  4. #4
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,001
    You do not need to know the pressure. Just use what gives you the proper sag. Kona recommends 38 mm / 1.5" of sag for your fork.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rjohnston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    23

    My settings...

    I have the same bike as you and I weigh 200 lbs. My settings are 40 psi right leg, 0 psi left.

    Also, when the fork is new it'll be a little stiff. The more you ride it, the smoother it will get.

    RJ

  6. #6
    i heart singletrack
    Reputation: mgersib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,544

    At 130 lbs, you might not need any pressure.

    The fork has coil springs in it -- the air pressure simply suppliments the springs for heavier riders. I have a Marz. 66 VF, which has similar internals, and am running zero psi. in both legs to get the right amount of sag, and I'm 160lbs. At 130lbs, you may even want to go to slightly softer springs than stock, but try it with no pressure and see how your sag works out, and go from there.

    Good luck!
    MG

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Coiler Mad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    55
    Don't bother with them mate, I've just replaced my Drop-Offs yesterday with RS Boxxer Ride U-Turns, completely changed the bike, and it even climbs better as well!!

  8. #8
    Still on Training Wheels!
    Reputation: drum714's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,108
    At 130 lbs, you might not need any pressure.
    Totally agree. You probobly won't need any pressure. Just double check your oil heights to help control your bottoming out resistance and you'll be set. But again set the fork where you are comfortable.
    It's not a good ride if you don't scare yourself at least once.


    Yeah...I'm Sponsored..................by my Bank Account

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    8
    I weigh around 163 lbs. and I've got an '04 Coiler with the Drop Off Comp that I'm running around 15 psi in both legs, and it works great. Recommended sag was around 10 psi, but it felt too mushy for the type of riding I do (trail riding with some small jumps and 2-3 ft. drops).

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    7
    Thanks much for the replies.

    I had 0 psi in each leg and it was very close to the recommended sag, however ther rebound was super slow and it just felt to soft, so i ended up with 0 psi in left leg and 5 in the right.

  11. #11
    I post too much.
    Reputation: snaky69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,448
    Quote Originally Posted by boardinboy101
    Thanks much for the replies.

    I had 0 psi in each leg and it was very close to the recommended sag, however ther rebound was super slow and it just felt to soft, so i ended up with 0 psi in left leg and 5 in the right.
    I think I have 5 psi in both legs, although I have nothing to check it out.

Similar Threads

  1. Heckler or kona coiler
    By M.C. in forum Santa Cruz
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-12-2005, 07:01 PM
  2. Kona Coiler?
    By jkish in forum Clydesdales/Tall Riders
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-04-2005, 10:41 AM
  3. Kona Coiler?
    By jkish in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-30-2004, 08:54 PM
  4. Whistler and 2005 Marzocchi Line
    By Photo-John in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 08-10-2004, 03:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •