mtbr member

New question here. Making my Coiler roll faster....

I'm looking for any ideas on making my 05 Coiler roll faster. On flat/rolling trails it feels really sluggish. Any body got some magic solutions.

RaD
    Trampelpfadbenutzer
    Change tires to lighter rolling ones?Adjust tire pressure?Check your brakes not draging?Check your hubs bearings if running nice and smooth.Everything clean and greased up well?
    Just some thoughts...no magic.

Later
    RaD

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Wink Look at the tires

Definately check all the mechanicals and if all looks good change the tires. A tire with a more continuous center "rib" will roll much easier on the trail. Check the tire forums and reviews for suggestions and talk to your dealer. The tire in general can make all the difference.
    Try to pick out anything by itself and you find it connected to the entire universe.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Feeling the same with my o5 dee lux Sunday. It didn't help the tires were caked with mud. I did notice my rear wheel wasn't spinning well when I had the bike hanging and spun the wheel. It like died out after 2 revolutions. This started after I removed the rear wheel to fix a flat. Could I have done something to the brakes in doing this. Is there a fix?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rjohnston
    I'm looking for any ideas on making my 05 Coiler roll faster. On flat/rolling trails it feels really sluggish. Any body got some magic solutions.
    Depending on what you are willing to spend, get lighter rims. The parts that are moving the most are the things that will cause the most drag. Add more pressure to your front fork--> less bobb.
    If I want your opinion, I will give give it to you...

You got like 3 feet of air that time... -Napoleon Dynamite

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I don't know what kind of tires and tubes are on the new Coilers, but if they have DH tubes in them, trade them for some smaller XC 2.1 tubes. I've been using XC tubes with a 2.5 Blue Groove on the front and 2.35 Nevegal in the back for almost a year now and have no issues with flats. I run 32 psi in the front, 30 in the back. The only time I switch to DH tubes is when we hit the local ski resorts and I really drop the pressure for better grip and bigger drops.

You might also consider a Stan's kit. You'll drop some weight and have less rolling resistance.

mtbr member

Idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Gonewild
    I don't know what kind of tires and tubes are on the new Coilers, but if they have DH tubes in them, trade them for some smaller XC 2.1 tubes. I've been using XC tubes with a 2.5 Blue Groove on the front and 2.35 Nevegal in the back for almost a year now and have no issues with flats. I run 32 psi in the front, 30 in the back. The only time I switch to DH tubes is when we hit the local ski resorts and I really drop the pressure for better grip and bigger drops.

You might also consider a Stan's kit. You'll drop some weight and have less rolling resistance.
    Dont buy the rim strips from Stan. Just get a bottle of his sealant, and make your own strips. Check here for instructions. I have a coiler as well, and I am running the Ghetto tubeless no problemo. You will save yourself alot of money by doing this, believe me. Stans strips are $25 a peice, and thats not including shipping. Maybe road slicks, lol? Boy would that look goofy!
    If I want your opinion, I will give give it to you...

You got like 3 feet of air that time... -Napoleon Dynamite

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rjohnston
    Baring there are no other issues that would slow you down (rubbing brakes). Nokian NBX lites. Fastest tire in rolling resistance tests. Go here... scientific essay about ROLLINGRESISTANCE

Still on Training Wheels!
    Stans strips are $25 a peice
    Maxxis also makes strips for $5 a peice.
    http://www.maxxis.com/products/bicyc...ail.asp?id=218
    It's not a good ride if you don't scare yourself at least once.

Yeah...I'm Sponsored..................by my Bank Account

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    After reading through 100 tips for bike repair or something like that in July MTbikeaction I read one tip that may help answer my own question from above. My rear whell was making like three revolutions when spun freely then dying out. I thought the brakes were rubbing, but I think I had the quick release too tight, thus pinching the the bearings/hub. May be another reason your/ my coiler wasn't rolling as fast as desired.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by bushdr
    After reading through 100 tips for bike repair or something like that in July MTbikeaction I read one tip that may help answer my own question from above. My rear whell was making like three revolutions when spun freely then dying out. I thought the brakes were rubbing, but I think I had the quick release too tight, thus pinching the the bearings/hub. May be another reason your/ my coiler wasn't rolling as fast as desired.
    Check your hub bearing adjustment. The QR should not make that much difference.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Yeah shoulds like the hub is too tight. A QR hub should be adjusted so it feels just a teeny tiny bit loose off the bike. When installed the QR will shish it down that little extra to make it perfect. The wheel should spin freely a whole lot more than 2 revs.

If the bike is only a month or 2 old take it back to the shop you bought it from. If they are halfway decent they will fix it for you. Rear hubs are a pain to adjust, well at leat loosen up that is.
    "Listen here you beautiful *****, I'm about to **** you up with some truth"