mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Looking at buying a kona-08-four-deluxe-frame

Looking at swapping all my components from my HT to this Kona frame
    I've had some lower back issues and have decided to try a FS approach along with my therapy. What do you fellas think of this frame. I don't have much knowledge when it comes to FS bikes.

http://wheelworld.com/product/kona-0...e-set-6902.htm

I live in western NC. I ride xc with some pretty rooty down hills in the area. I ride twice a week

Thanks for your help

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I live in GA and ride a King Kikapu, the four inch bike that preceded the Four.

Great bike. I built mine up around 27 pounds with the parts that came off of my 25 lb. hard tail. The rear shock can be set up so that everything is nice and smooth all the time or really efficient until you hit the sizable stuff. If what you are looking for is something that rides more or less like a hard tail while dispatching the stuff that would go straight to your lower back, I think it would fit the bill. $400 is a great price, too.

I would agree with their ad copy in that it has been a great all around bike. Riding, racing, taking it easy on me when need be while a flip of a lever lets me better chase down the jackrabbits I ride with sometimes. Descends like mad. I could go on. Sort of a definition of mountain bike.
    "Bikes aren't fast--people are fast. Bikes are overpriced. It's an important distinction."---BikeSnob NYC

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    like all kona bikes, not the most efficient but really fun to ride.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    One of the reasons I recently got my Dawg was I was feeling kinda beat up slamming through the all mountain stuff my buddies were dragging me through on my hardtail.

The full squish is more forgiving on the rooty rocky bumpy stuff.
    You find yourself less fatigued particularly in the legs and back.

I haven't noticed too much loss in climbing if any.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    i went from a 4 inch maestro bike to my 08 dawg.. really didnt notice much of a loss of efficiency either, and it definitely climbs better.. but you are losing some power through its suspension. it just really doesnt matter all that much unless you're racing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    i also ordered one and am looking forward to building up an econo xc/trail rig.

i went to shop and damn, they didn't have my size in stock. their shipping is way too high. just to ship a frame 350 miles they're charging me $39!!! i know that's not the UPS or FedEx price to ship, especially if they have a business account. they're jacking up the prices for shipping.

if you know someone who lives there, you could have them pick it up and ship it out for you. i didn't so had to fork over the dough. oh well
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    if you had someone pick it up and ship it, you'd pay more like 60-80. 39 bucks to ship a frame is cheap, its a big box.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    As I said, I have shipped frames myself, even further away and paid much less. $39 is an inflated price to ship only 350 miles!
    We Ride In God's Country!