Thread: Lightest Satori

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Lightest Satori

What are the light Satoris out there coming in at? What did you swap out to achieve the weight? Mine is stock minus the seatpost (have a carbon one on) and a carbon HB, it weighs in at 30LB. I want to put it on a diet and would like to get it down 2-3 pounds lighter.

The White Jeff W
    Most noticeable seat of the pants change is gonna be wheels & tires. Swapping the Ardents for a pair of Nobby Nic's would drop almost a pound of weight where it really matters.

I dont know what the stock wheelset weighs but Im pretty sure its more than the1800 grams Sun Ringle Charger Pro wheels weigh. $500 at Price Point. You would only need the 142x12 rear hub conversion kit.

Swapping the fox 34 fork for a Manitou Tower Pro would drop another 3/4 lb, but you lose some of the stiffness of the 34mm stanchion.

I'm going to be doing a frame up build on a Satori later this week if you wanna see where I end up. The build will look something like this...

Large Satori frame
    Fork - Marzocchi Bomber Micro ti
    Wheels - Sun Ringle Black Flag Pro
    Tires - Racing Ralphs until my Nobby Nics come in - both set up tubeless
    Brakes - Formula either RX or ORO
    Drivetrain - Sram X9
    Truvative Stylo cranks
    Stock seatpost & headset
    Bars & stem - Truvative Stylo
    Last edited by jeffw-13; 11-05-2013 at 07:09 AM.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I have a small frame Satori - 2013 model.

Iam about 32.5 lbs and thats after swapping stock wheels for a HopePro2eve/ArchEX set with Ardent 2.4 frt / rear. I cant ride NN's as they are too light duty, and cornering nobs are too squishy for real rugged terrain traction. I saved about 1.7 lbs total weight in the wheelset alone with very similar tires - maybe a few grams different in tire weight but they roll well regardless.

I do use my seatdopper and updgraded from krono to KS lev. i also went with Easton 350 bar/stem combo - which at 785 mm wide - and burly - actually added a few grams from stock bar/stem - but not significant.

Otherwise bike is stock. I wish it were lighter -

The White Jeff W

Re: Lightest Satori

Quote Originally Posted by kamper11 View Post
    I have a small frame Satori - 2013 model.

Iam about 32.5 lbs and thats after swapping stock wheels for a HopePro2eve/ArchEX set with Ardent 2.4 frt / rear. I cant ride NN's as they are too light duty, and cornering nobs are too squishy for real rugged terrain traction. I saved about 1.7 lbs total weight in the wheelset alone with very similar tires - maybe a few grams different in tire weight but they roll well regardless.

I do use my seatdopper and updgraded from krono to KS lev. i also went with Easton 350 bar/stem combo - which at 785 mm wide - and burly - actually added a few grams from stock bar/stem - but not significant.

Otherwise bike is stock. I wish it were lighter -
    That weight sounds a little more realistic. I was thinking that my Yelli Screamy with pretty much the same build I listed above was a little under 29 lbs. Surely the Satori will be 30+.

I used Nobby Nics as an example only because I had just looked at them online. No doubt there's dozens of other choices that are better for some people.

For the record I'll only use the Snakeskin Schwalbe tires. The other ones are lighter but don't last long around here. I like the feel of the firmer sidewall tubeless too.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I forgot that I had changed the wheelset to some Sworks Rovels. Tires would be a good choice, maybe the next upgrade.

The bike rides great, but shaving 2 lbs would make it ride even better.

tg
    mtbr member
    My 20'' is down to 29pounds. Thomson post/stem,Hope p2/stans,carbon flat bar,XT cranks and cassett,Frog pedals. Flippin love this bike!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lightest Satori-downsized_0908131059.jpg  

The White Jeff W

Re: Lightest Satori

There she is. Just a tic over 30 lbs with pedals. I borrowed the drivetrain off my Yelli Screamy until the new 10 speed drivetrain I ordered comes in. That should drop it a little under 30 lbs.

Taking her out for a thrashing in the morning. I probably wont sleep tonight.

Lightest Satori-uploadfromtaptalk1383956541015.jpg

Lightest Satori-uploadfromtaptalk1383956554213.jpg

My rear brake line is too short to route under the downtube/bottom bracket so I ran it under the toptube & seatstay like the 2014's. I used the dropper post cable guides & whatever else I could find to zip tie a cable to. I ran the rear derailleur cable the same way. Ive never been a fan of cables under the downtube anyways. I once had a cable get pinched by a rock strike on my old Yeti 575 and couldnt shift.
    Last edited by jeffw-13; 11-19-2013 at 02:45 PM.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    good stuff to you both TG and JeffW (and no disrespect meant regarding the tires - i just happen to love the Ardents for me personally)

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I got my wife's Satori down to 27.5llbs. Carbon roval wheels. XTR rear derailer. Single up front. XTR brakes. Carbon bars. She loves it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pyrofighting View Post
    I got my wife's Satori down to 27.5llbs. Carbon roval wheels. XTR rear derailer. Single up front. XTR brakes. Carbon bars. She loves it.
    And a smaller size frame likely helps. 27.5 for this bike is really good, and must ride like a charm. I plan to put mine on a diet, but doubt I will get to that weight.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tg View Post
    My 20'' is down to 29pounds. Thomson post/stem,Hope p2/stans,carbon flat bar,XT cranks and cassett,Frog pedals. Flippin love this bike!
    My 1x9 raw 19" was just under 31lbs
    Lightest Satori-satori-non-drive.jpg

i swapped the 19" for an 18" frame and changed the drive train from 1x9 to 2x10 and it is now just over 31lbs
    Lightest Satori-18-inch-satori.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I had an XL last year that I got down to 28.9 lbs...it took a lot of fancy schmancy parts to get it there though...

XX1 Drive train
    XTR Brakes
    eThirteen TRS+ Wheels
    Hans Dampf/Nobby Nic Tires tubless of course
    Raceface Six C bars
    Could have gone lighter than the Reverb post I suppose

Loved that bike....have all of those parts on a Process 111DL right now and it's pretty sweet too....Kona is killing it these last few years!!

Lightest Satori-satori.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Wow - thats pretty sweet -

dont mean to hi-jack the thread - but any chance you have a head-to-head comparo on the Satori vs new 111? maybe you could start a new thread? would love to hear about it

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eltaito View Post

Loved that bike....have all of those parts on a Process 111DL right now and it's pretty sweet too....Kona is killing it these last few years!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Satori.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	205.2 KB 
ID:	846652
    Any pics of it?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I don't want to go too in depth and change the subject of the thread either but I'll mention a few things about the two bikes.....they are both around the same weight and I really don't notice a whole lot of difference between the two when it comes to pedaling efficiency or climbing....the real difference I notice is when I point that front wheel downhill. The Satori is a phenomenal bike, it will steamroll anything on the trail...I live in Santa Barbara and it's pretty darn rocky here....the Satori handled everything great, it just wasn't overly maneuverable...you kind of have to muscle it around to get it to go where you want it on tight techy terrain.....the Process 111 DL however is NIMBLE....unlike any 29er I've ever ridden.....I definitely concur with most reviewers when they say you can't even tell it is a 29er when you're riding it.....it's super low slung with a super long top tube and a 40mm stem....you can almost play around on it like it's a giant BMX bike........well I'm pretty much in love with it so far......The Satori was awesome but I've never felt as confident on the trail as I do on the Process. So I don't divert this thread too much, you can just head over to Pink Bike to read their review of the 111: Kona Process 111 DL - Review - Pinkbike

Another Shot of my old Satori on Mt. Pinos

Lightest Satori-satori-pinos.jpg

Process 111 DL right after I built it

Lightest Satori-111-new.jpg

And the 111 DL on top of Mt. Pinos along w/ my buddy's 2011 Satori

Lightest Satori-111-pinos.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by noosa2 View Post
    My 1x9 raw 19" was just under 31lbs

Name:	satori non drive.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	122.4 KB 
ID:	846410

i swapped the 19" for an 18" frame and changed the drive train from 1x9 to 2x10 and it is now just over 31lbs

Name:	18 inch satori.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	179.5 KB 
ID:	846411
    Why the swap? How tall are you? I'm thinking of getting one for my brother. He's 5'10 so with a 35-50mm stem, the 19" Large should be okay?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Why the swap? How tall are you? I'm thinking of getting one for my brother. He's 5'10 so with a 35-50mm stem, the 19" Large should be okay?
    I'm just under 6'. The TT of the 19" was perfect with a straight seat post but I felt like I needed my knees further back in relation to the cranks so I put on a post with about 3/4 of an inch setback. That made my knees feel great but then I felt like I was too much of a stretch to the bars. I probably should have gone for a shorter stem (70mm down to a. 50mm) but when I saw the opportunity to swap frames for an 18" I figured I would give it a try. Will report back once I have hand the opportunity to ride the 18" frame but that may be awhile as I just had surgery to repair my labrum...

The White Jeff W
    Down to 29lb 7oz with the new drivetrain. Sram X9 cranks (22/36) Sram X9 front shifter, Shimano SLX front derailleur, All Shimano XT 10 speed out back. Everything shifts beautifully.

The bike really handles great. It loves to be jumped & steered from the hip with lots of body english. The front is a touch light on granny ring climbs but that might be that Im running the set back seat post, putting my weight further back on the bike. The suspension is firmer than the other FS bikes Ive owned but definitely takes the edge off the chunk and gives a great platform when mashing or carving corners.

Very happy with it so far

Last edited by jeffw-13; 11-22-2013 at 05:42 PM.
    No moss...

Kaj
    mtbr member
    Lightest Satori-photo.jpgMy wife's Satori was 27 lbs, mine was 29 lbs. Both were XX drivetrains with reverbs and alloy cockpit. hers had DT 350's with crest and revolutions spokes and Ardent 2.25 tires with XX brakes. mine had DT 350's with Arch and Champ spokes with hans damps and XT brakes.

Curiously her 18" small frame weighed 7.2 lbs, and my 22" XL frame weighed 7.4 lbs. So there was only .2 lbs diff in the frames. Most of the 2lb diff was in the wheel weight and brakes.

I sold it at them end of the year, but it is still one of my favorite bikes of all time. At least of me, my wife thought it was a bit too much bike and is back on a shorter travel machine.
    Helping folks shred in Boulder & Colorado since 1982 www.fullcyclebikes.com

mtbr member
    Ironically most of the mods on mine will be a wash or add some weight. Right away I went tubeless (-) and swapped out to a shorter stem (-), and later added a 2x chainguide (+). Right now as I'm healing a sprained ankle and shoulder (and the trails to dry out) I am waiting for a set of I9 enduro wheels (-) and the new (hopefully brilliant) pike (+). In the future I might consider dropping the front derailleur and going 1x10 and add a 42t cog to maintain climbing ability. Weight savings was not the goal, upgrading performance and questionably flexy parts was. Maybe I'll weigh it after for sh!ts and giggles, most likely I won't bother.
    To appreciate the flowers you must also walk among s**t to know the difference