govt kontrakt projkt mgr

konaworld online bike sales

Anyone buy a Kona from the kona website?
    I'm having trouble figuring the value. No sales tax but high shipping.

Now the Kona dealer on Oahu informs me they do not stock king kikap but I could have one delivered there. I take it this means I would have to buy on line, and have it delivered to the shop according to konaworld.

It seems this is a business arrangement between Kona and its dealers designed to keep store inventory low and as well to pass on costs to the purchaser. Maybe I'm wrong but thats the way it seems. IM HO it is not a good practice.

I wanted a king kik but will likely end up looking at Specializeds instead where the dealer (the same LBS by the way ,bikeshophawaii) carries at least some in stock AND offers 10% off military discount and likely does not charge 100% MSRP to start with.

Kona needs to cut some slack on the costs---the way it is it seems like there is an authorized Kona dealer in town but really they are little more than a repair center.

Help me understand why I would want to pay 100% MSRP and shipping costs for a Kona when other equivelant bikes can be had for less and from the same LBS.

mtbr member
    I don't quite understand what your complaint is here. Shiping is indeed very high to Hawaii, sometimes around $100. That's a flat cost, and not anything inflated.
    We don't want to keep store inventory low, that's not the point! Sometimes customers want a product that the shop doesn't have for some reason, there's always interesting issues that pop up. We require our dealers to build the bikes so that we know you as a customer are getting a profesionally built bike.
    Bike Shop in Hawaii stocks a good number of Konas, so they're not undercutting you at all there. They are definitely more than just a repair center. You'd be better off buying the bike directly from the shop and having them order it themselves than ordering it online from us and having it delivered to them anyway.
    I do hate to tell you that either way you'll most likely have to wait until next month to get a King Kikapu anyway (depending on what size you ride) because we're sold out of them.
    I hope this helped, and please let me know if you have any other questions.
    Thanks,
    Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmySlowRdr
    Anyone buy a Kona from the kona website?
    I'm having trouble figuring the value. No sales tax but high shipping.

Now the Kona dealer on Oahu informs me they do not stock king kikap but I could have one delivered there. I take it this means I would have to buy on line, and have it delivered to the shop according to konaworld.

It seems this is a business arrangement between Kona and its dealers designed to keep store inventory low and as well to pass on costs to the purchaser. Maybe I'm wrong but thats the way it seems. IM HO it is not a good practice.

I wanted a king kik but will likely end up looking at Specializeds instead where the dealer (the same LBS by the way ,bikeshophawaii) carries at least some in stock AND offers 10% off military discount and likely does not charge 100% MSRP to start with.

Kona needs to cut some slack on the costs---the way it is it seems like there is an authorized Kona dealer in town but really they are little more than a repair center.

Help me understand why I would want to pay 100% MSRP and shipping costs for a Kona when other equivelant bikes can be had for less and from the same LBS.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    That clears things up Joe. BSH had told me they didn't carry the kona King Kikapu. I took it to mean I'd have to order one myself online. Now if I can come out better and they'll order it--why heck I might even get my 10% discount.

The website ship charge to HI is 269$ BTW.
    When I return to Oahu in March I'll visit the store again and see what they can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe - Kona
    I don't quite understand what your complaint is here. Shiping is indeed very high to Hawaii, sometimes around $100. That's a flat cost, and not anything inflated.
    We don't want to keep store inventory low, that's not the point! Sometimes customers want a product that the shop doesn't have for some reason, there's always interesting issues that pop up. We require our dealers to build the bikes so that we know you as a customer are getting a profesionally built bike.
    Bike Shop in Hawaii stocks a good number of Konas, so they're not undercutting you at all there. They are definitely more than just a repair center. You'd be better off buying the bike directly from the shop and having them order it themselves than ordering it online from us and having it delivered to them anyway.
    I do hate to tell you that either way you'll most likely have to wait until next month to get a King Kikapu anyway (depending on what size you ride) because we're sold out of them.
    I hope this helped, and please let me know if you have any other questions.
    Thanks,
    Joe.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Which shop?

Is that one downtown near the canal, or over by the mall. Is it Allamuana? Sorry about spelling. Been some years since I was there.
    The one across from the mall was friendly and had better prices. Also this was from 1989 to 1991.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    BSH has 3 stores. The downtown one and the 1 in Aeia or good. I haven't stopped in the 1 at Kalieua (sp?)

I havent found a freindly store that is both friendly and wont stick it to ya.
    McCullys is downright rude and on ever occasion which there will be no more of with them. Raging Isle is friendly enough but exorbitant and charges out the arse for labor. Yes, BSH is the better I suppose.