mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Are Kona's worth the money?

From a uk perspective they seem very overpriced. They are at least 50% more in price over here than the comparable usa price and sometimes as much as 90% more. They mainly use generic taiwanese frames which are often non heat treated 7005 the same material as the very cheap aluminium bikes but with obviously better frame designs. Companies like Giant seem to give the uk a much better deal with regards price and spec. Is it simply that with kona the bike parts are being shipped to canada from taiwan and then having to be shipped again to europe/uk where as Giant being taiwanese are selling direct to which ever market they are intended for.

I quite fancy a Hoss Deluxe but its about $1800-2000 over here.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    If it's too expensive, then don't buy it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    It is too expensive and I am currently not buying one because of it but I suppose I'll have to look at importing one or something.

mtbr member
    In my research I have found that Canada has the best price for Kona`s. I don`t know why the corresponding currency conversion does not equal that of other countries. An example is... Kona Kula Primo frame (which I purchased) - Canadian price $699.00 / USA price $599.00 / Europe €798.00 / UK £700.00. If you do the conversions (from CDN to £), you guys in the UK pay a ton more. In Canada the same frame would cost me $1,623.00 in CDN funds You would pay £ 301 + shipping.

You might want to look at shipping costs. It could be very worth while in the long run to buy Canadian and have it shipped.

sLigHtLy lEft oF CEntEr
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonzo Banana
    From a uk perspective they seem very overpriced. They are at least 50% more in price over here than the comparable usa price and sometimes as much as 90% more. They mainly use generic taiwanese frames which are often non heat treated 7005 the same material as the very cheap aluminium bikes but with obviously better frame designs. Companies like Giant seem to give the uk a much better deal with regards price and spec. Is it simply that with kona the bike parts are being shipped to canada from taiwan and then having to be shipped again to europe/uk where as Giant being taiwanese are selling direct to which ever market they are intended for.

"very cheap aluminum"?

Someone should tell this guy.

http://www.konaworld.com/66.cfm

Sorry the prices are so high over there. That does suck. Giant is a much larger company than Kona and they have their bikes completely built in Taiwan. Whereas, I think that Kona gets their frames from Taiwan and then builds them in Canada. They might build them in Washington too.

But hey... at least the Pound kicks the crap out of the Dollar. I want to do some traveling around Europe but the weak @ss dollar isn't making it easier.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Regarding Kona and Giant, doesn't Giant make the vast majority of Kona frames? That's what I've been told. So naturually, all else being equal, a Giant should be less than a Kona. Kona's are nice bikes, I love my JTS, but I'd never pay European prices for one. There must be European brands that undercut Kona on price by a lot.

Art is Resistance
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris
    Regarding Kona and Giant, doesn't Giant make the vast majority of Kona frames? That's what I've been told. So naturually, all else being equal, a Giant should be less than a Kona. Kona's are nice bikes, I love my JTS, but I'd never pay European prices for one. There must be European brands that undercut Kona on price by a lot.

No, Giant makes none of the Kona frames. They make a lot of Trek frames and other companies, but no Konas.

i heart singletrack

Cost and value...

I feel for your situation, and the high prices I'm sure are frustrating for you. As far as build quality, I'd put Kona's taiwanese-sourced frames on a quality par with anything Giant, Trek or anyone else is putting out. Where Kona bikes move out front, in my opinion, is when you ride them. Inspired is the word I'd use to describe their bikes' handling.

My experience with Giant is that they are just what their name says: Giant. It comes with the positives, as well as the negatives. Yeah, you're going to save cost with a giant, but out on the trail, is it going to possess the same sprightly handling that the Kona does? In my experience, probably not. Trek is a lot like Giant, in that they are huge, and by in large, their current product offering leaves me cold.

In the end, I like knowing that the guys and gals at Kona ride passionately, and that's what it's all about for them: the ride. I like Kona as a company, and as a result, I'm willing to pay the price of entry for their bikes. If you really want one, and want to find a way to make it cost competitive, I'm sure you can do it.

Good luck!
    MG

mtbr member
    I have to pay $ 3248 for my Stinky, its with all import cost and shipping to Iceland. It is hard to live on an island in the middle of nowhere.

Demn this sucks.

Hoss Dee-Lux'n It
    Mar 2005
    When I bought this year the 05 Giant Rainer, Kona Cinder Cone & Hoss Dee-Lux were all the same price at the bike.

Being the size I am I went with the Hoss Dee-Lux, but in Toronto atleast the Giant and Kona's comparable bikes are priced at the same price point.

Rip
    Broken

Import costs will always get you in the end. Also last time I checked, the higher the number, the better the grade of Aluminum is. You find more 6000 series aluminum with the cheaper bikes.
    À tout le monde. À tous mes amis. Je vous aime. Je dois partir.
    These are the last words I'll ever speak And they'll set me free

UK Biker

Kona frames are worth it!

Konas do seem to have a lower spec than other brands but I have found the handling of the frames just makes you love them. Certainly the steel ones are very highly regarded and people (including me) hold onto them for many years. You'll probably hold onto a Kona and upgrade the parts rather than getting a new bike.

IMHO

Fluff

mtbr member

Yes!

I just bought a Kona primo scandium and am sorry to break the news but quality of construction is some of the best i have seen. Perfect welding, machined parts, careful attention to details down to the disk brake/V0brake stops and hydraulic guides, 3 pounds even for a 19" ... it is executed better than my supposedly superior (and way more expensive) pseudo-custom usa made bike ...