Thread: Kona Vs Trek??

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Kona Vs Trek??

I'm looking to get into the sport for around $800-900 CDN. I have singled two bikes out that are the same price $850 CDN. They are:
    04 Trek 6700 Pilot SL's Hayes HFX9 hydraulic discs, Shimano Deore/LX derailleurs.
    05 Kona Blast, Marzocchi MZ Comp, Deroe Derailleurs, Shimano Mech Disc BR-M465

What you guys think? Anything else thats better value?

Oh, I'm gonna be riding the North Shore Van. Trails but nothing extreme.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Hate to say it but the Trek seems like a much better buy, much better brakes & fork. Do any local shops have 04 Konas on closeout? If so an 04 Caldera might be a better match to the Trek. That said, I think the 05 Blast looks GREAT with it's badass black paintjob.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris
    Hate to say it but the Trek seems like a much better buy, much better brakes & fork. Do any local shops have 04 Konas on closeout? If so an 04 Caldera might be a better match to the Trek. That said, I think the 05 Blast looks GREAT with it's badass black paintjob.

Hey Kris,

Thanks for the input. Have managed to find an 04 Cinder Cone. It has Deore /XT, Shimano mech brakes, Avid lever, MZ Race forks and Sun Rims. All for $800 CDN. It seems basically the same as 05 Blast but with a couple of upgrades. Decided that the Hydros weren't that important to me and I have to say that riding the Kona, it definately felt better. Can't wait to get out there.

Thanks again

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Good call, the Kona geometry should be much better for the kind of trails you have out there. One suggestion, first upgrade should be a better fork, it will make a huge difference in how the bike performs.

inner peace to make peace

toatally 05 Kona Blast, Marzocchi MZ !!!!

yes Trek's a cool American bike company, but Kona is even more cool and offers handier geometry

05 Kona Blast, Marzocchi MZ
    The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards & its fighting by fools.

UK Biker

No Contest - Kona everytime

There are lots of happy Kona owners who hold onto their bikes for years (with upgrades) whereas just Treks get replaced!

Fluff

mtbr member
    I think you've already made up your mind on the Kona, but, for what its worth; My wifes Trek is a piece of crap, I truly think it's gonna end up falling apart. Trek is so focused on their road bikes that they seem to pay little attention to their MTB customers needs. Which is great for Lance, but, not for us! Besides Konas are built nearby, and tested at the North Shore, I think you know what you need to do.

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailNut
    yes Trek's a cool American bike company, but Kona is even more cool and offers handier geometry

05 Kona Blast, Marzocchi MZ
    Marzocchi MZ fork is nothing to be excited about.

Marzocchi MZ! > Pilot SL?

Quote Originally Posted by Acme54321
    Marzocchi MZ fork is nothing to be excited about.
    among the two listed choice: Pilot SL maybe is good, but i know Marzocchi MZ is good.
    The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards & its fighting by fools.

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailNut
    among the two listed choice: Pilot SL maybe is good, but i know Marzocchi MZ is good.
    Have you ever ridden one? Mine developed a good amount of play in the bushings after oh say a month. Now as far as damping goes, oh wait it doesn't have any. MMM Elastomers and Springs. The only thing that fork has going for it is 30mm stanchions and it still isn't anywhere near stiff. Oh did I mention that it is made by Suntour?

UK Biker

Fork Upgrade

I have to admit that I agree that the MZ isn't anything to get excited about but I haven't ridden either the MZ or Pilot.

But I'd still stick with the Kona as long term it'll be a better buy (upgrading components as you go along). Possibly enquire about getting a fork upgrade instead of the MZ when you buy the bike.

Fluff

WC3
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

New question here. Kona's are made nearby?

I have a 2005 Kula Deluxe and it is made in Taiwan, the dealer whom I purchased it from, has almost every Kona bike made in stock.....they all sport a nice made in Taiwan sticker on them........

i've ridden a 'zoke MX

Quote Originally Posted by Acme54321
    Have you ever ridden one? Mine developed a good amount of play in the bushings after oh say a month. Now as far as damping goes, oh wait it doesn't have any. MMM Elastomers and Springs. The only thing that fork has going for it is 30mm stanchions and it still isn't anywhere near stiff. Oh did I mention that it is made by Suntour?
    re "it is made by Suntour" -- what exacty is it? not a MX, right?

UK Biker

No its not a MX

No its not an MX. Its built for Marzocchi by Suntour. The MXs and above are made by Marzocchi in Italy.

most good bikes are made in Taiwan for US and European companies

Quote Originally Posted by WC3
    I have a 2005 Kula Deluxe and it is made in Taiwan, the dealer whom I purchased it from, has almost every Kona bike made in stock.....they all sport a nice made in Taiwan sticker on them........

most good bikes are made in Taiwan for US and European companies

confusing

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffbomb
    No its not an MX. Its built for Marzocchi by Suntour. The MXs and above are made by Marzocchi in Italy.

al i know is i've never had toruble or complaints about a fork from Marzocchi (nor even from Manitou)

the only lousy (CHEAP) forks i've had were Rock Shocks Indy S & C, but the price were

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    The MZ is no where near the quality or performance of the MX. The MZ is an elastomer/spring fork just like a RockShox Judy. Basically it's a beefy Judy. The beef is the only thing that makes it any different because it's a little bit stiffer (30mm stanchions). MX is a coil or air sprung fork with SSV damping.