mtbr member
    May 2009

Kona Unit Paint...wtf?

So I just bought a 2010 Kona Unit frame in that beautiful dark green metallic color! However, after just one ride, the paint started to rub through where the brake lines were resting against the frame. I've never seen a paintjob so undurable. Has anybody else had a problem with Kona's paint? Seems like it's super thin. I'm thinking about getting 3M's scotchgard film to prevent any further damage. Has anybody experimented with that?

Thanks

Recogonize.
    majority of the bikes i own/owned had paint rub from what i remember. i dont really care, i ride the bike not the paint.
    "We're gonna need a bigger boat."

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Agreed, I have a 2008 Unit and the durability of the paint job is the worst of any bike I've owned. Tons of dings on the underside of the downtube from even the smallest bits of gravel, paint rub at points of cable contact, etc. But like the guy above said, I don't really care. Doesn't change the ride.

mtbr member
    Before I get on a new bike I put 3M clear bra material in all the contact areas. The stuff is super durable.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Nice, can you get that stuff anywhere besides online?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Apaulo88
    Nice, can you get that stuff anywhere besides online?
    I go to the local tint shop and he gives me the scrap pieces they don't use. If you look at the HiFi in my sig you can see the area in the headtube/downtube is shiney, that's the 3M stuff.

The stuff is pricey.

http://www.shop3m.com/3m-scotchgard-...hzbgzhklw.html

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    agreed, kona generally has had shite paint for several years. super thin, egg shell like consistency. look over on the kona web site forum; everyone is looking for touch up paint.

i do like their ball-burnished and brushed models...
    Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    The paint was super thin on my Dawg too, the paint was very good on my Hei Hei though. The paint on the Dawg rear triangle was in fairly rough shape, after a few months of trail riding. I no longer ride Kona bikes, but I think cjn1014's post is right on.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Kona paint sucks and it doesn't take much to chip it. It may sound weird but a lot of times you can find fingernail polish that will match the color and it works great for touch ups. Just make sure you have a girl pick it up so you don't look weird lol

Members who have read this thread: 1