gnuH

Kona Unit Geometry (x post from SS)

Had a good test ride on a Kona Unit and loved it. My only 'gripe' is that the front end seemed hard to lift - ie over small obstacles, and into wheelies or monos. Overall the bike is light (23.9 on digital shop scales), but this riding characteristic gave it a heavy feel and required effort in the technical stuff. On my full suspension, I'm used to just leaning back, pedalling and then the front comes up. Rear squat probably helps this.

It looks like it has about a 5 deg/110mm stem on it. Would putting a shorter, steeper stem make the front end easier to pull up? Maybe adding another spacer or 2 under the stem (steerer length permitting)? Or this just a function of the Unit's geometry that I would have to adapt to?

I'm 5'10 and tried an 18". Seemed to fit OK.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwirider
    Had a good test ride on a Kona Unit and loved it. My only 'gripe' is that the front end seemed hard to lift - ie over small obstacles, and into wheelies or monos. Overall the bike is light (23.9 on digital shop scales), but this riding characteristic gave it a heavy feel and required effort in the technical stuff. On my full suspension, I'm used to just leaning back, pedalling and then the front comes up. Rear squat probably helps this.

It looks like it has about a 5 deg/110mm stem on it. Would putting a shorter, steeper stem make the front end easier to pull up? Maybe adding another spacer or 2 under the stem (steerer length permitting)? Or this just a function of the Unit's geometry that I would have to adapt to?

I'm 5'10 and tried an 18". Seemed to fit OK.
    I'm 5'10" and have an 18" Unit and your post sure is ripe for double-entendres. But I come from a medium Santa Cruz Superlight which has a shorter top tube and is more wheelie prone. I think the geo of the Unit (2004) is perfect for SS. You will appreciate the geo on the climbs. Also, don't forget that with a SS you will likely (and should if you value your knees) be standing more than on a geared bike. So you get more leverage to raise the front end when standing if you choose to lean back (I think). For me the 19" was too much, the 18" was just right.