Thread: Kona Ti Rove

LFJ
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Kona Ti Rove

I am seriously thinking about getting a Ti Rove but have to order one without seeing it. Just curious as to what real world tire clearance this frame has for a rear tire?
    Also what fork would owners of this frame recommend?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I don't have any appropriately sized tires to check max clearance. I had 35c on it with tons of room, but I dpn't have anything bigger than that. I have heard of 40c fitting but I think that would be tight.

LFJ
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I wasn't sure if the rear tire clearance would fit a panaracer 700x45. Sounds like it might be very tight.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Actually I was mistaken. Kona says that it will fit 40C with fenders or 42c without, but I have heard that it could fit 50c. I just have no way to check.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I recently purchased a 49cm Rove Ti. Still trying to narrow down what parts I'm going to use. Anyway, I took the frameset and straddled a Panaracer Pasela 35c (actually measured 37mm @ 90psi) and there was 7-8mm of clearance on both sides of the tire.

get down!
    I have a Specialized 29x1.8 in mine and that's a pretty huge tire. Highly recommended tire though! Only around 400 grams and tough as nails. I did the Dirty Kanza 200 and Cedar Cross on them and had zero flats. Actually I've never had a flat with them.

Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Sweet looking rig!! Would like to know more about your build if you don't mind. 50/34? What do you have for levers, barends and derailleurs? Had any trouble with the seatpost holding tight...I've heard a few concerns with the Enve type clamp. I'm leaning toward Ultegra 6800 but no barends available. My main bikes over the past decade or so have been a narrow tired road tandem (FSA & Record 10spd) and a Santana (Shimd 8spd w/barends) that we can do some gravel/ packed dirt roads. This is a completely new ,and selfish, type of build for me.