May contain nuts

Kona Taro - 2x10 possible?

Anyone know if a front mech can fit on a Taro?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    No front DR possible on the Taro. The stock bike comes with 9 gears at the rear DR. 10 gears might be possible for a tiny bit of an upgrade.

B.Ike
    have you seen how they've gotten a FD on a honzo with a problem solvers direct mount and a direct mount FD? could work on the taro

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ElwoodT View Post
    have you seen how they've gotten a FD on a honzo with a problem solvers direct mount and a direct mount FD? could work on the taro
    Nope, I have not seen that. You have to be carefull that doing that won't become a compromise that could end up becoming a deal breaker.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    CanfieldBrothers sells a 9t microdrive a rear hub. This lets you swap the lowest 4 sprockets down to 9t, 11t, 13t, 16t (for 10 speeds, SRAM or Shimano), or complete swap to 9-10-11-13-15-17-20-23-26 (for 9speed Shimano capreo).

This to me looks like a much better solution than trying to put on a FD. Faster gears, wider range gearing, and eliminates the need for a front derailleur.

B.Ike
    If going faster was the only concern, then a bigger chain ring up front could give you a similar gear ratio as above.
    Were hoping for more granny gears.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Some bikes come with 11t-32t, and others with 12t-36t on the rear. The whole idea with the Microdrive is that you can spread out the range on the back much wider. You can go all the way up to 9t-36t.

If you want more granny gears with that arrangement, then you also put on a smaller front chain ring. This way you end up with more granny gears and still end up with a reasonable top end for going faster too. You also would not need a front derailleur.

If you want faster top end, then you keep the same size on the front chain ring.

B.Ike
    I might be wrong, but i think 11 is the smallest you can go on the shimano compatible freehub body. I think you need the hub that goes with that 9 tooth cog.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ElwoodT View Post
    I might be wrong, but i think 11 is the smallest you can go on the shimano compatible freehub body. I think you need the hub that goes with that 9 tooth cog.
    The CrankBrothers microdrive rear hub lets you go down to 9t.

If you really need more granny gears, and you find that you hardly ever use the top end gears, the easiest and cheapest way to solve that is to swap the front chain ring to a smaller 28t size. The stock Taro comes with a Shimano 12t-36t on the rear and a 32t on the front. 12t-36t is a big spread already so there is not much to gain there.

Here is someone that did something similar on his Honzo:

Quote Originally Posted by southj View Post
    I have just installed a SRAM X9 crankset and 28t MRP Bling ring on my Honzo and it absolutely rips! I was running SLX AM cranks for the last year and was really stoked on them. I was nervous about running SRAM cranks at 112kg but so far have been very impressed! I run 1x10 with a modified e13 ls1 chainguide and 11-36 cassette. My local trails are steep tight single track with rocky rooty downhills. With a 32t chainring I gased out on the climbs and only used the top half of the cassette. With the 28t I can clear most climbs and now use the entire cassette during a ride. 28t on a 1x10 29er is an awesome option if your local tracks are steep and rough. Plus the the Bling ring is BLING!

B.Ike
    ^^cheapest? the bling ring (at 69.00) only goes on an upper tier sram/truvative crankset.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    The blingring also fits on truvativ's AKA crankset which is $100-110. If you have a Shimano crankset, the forum member Bruzed makes a 30t ring for $75.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I was not referring specifically to the Bling Ring for you. I was more pointing to the smaller front sprocket as a solution. He switched from a 32t to a 28t with good results. I am sure that there are plenty of front sprockets smaller than 32t available at a lower price than the Bling Ring option, that would work better for you.

The Kona Taro comes with a 4 bolt crank. The only thing that I don't know is the bolt circle diameter of those 4 bolts. Most likely they are 64mm granny gear size, but measure it and verify. Then all that you would need is to get the 4x64mmx28t or something similar.

They are inexpensive and easy to install:
    Universal Cycles -- Chainrings > Mountain Chainrings
    Last edited by blundar; 03-20-2013 at 06:34 AM.