Thread: Kona Tanuki

mtbr member

Kona Tanuki

Hi all... My LBS deals Konas and I really dig them. I'm currently a road racer and looking to get into some mountain biking for the fall and winter months.

Just wondering what your thoughts are on this bike for someone new to mountain biking. I saw the Deluxe model sitting in the shop and fell in love with it. For what you get, the price seems very competitive as well.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'm somewhat new to mountain biking, so don't take my word as 100% correct. I've researching the Tanukis online for a few months, mostly the Supreme. (I figured if I'm going to take the plunge to a dual suspension I might as well go top of the line.)
    I went down to my LBS this week and spent about an hour or so asking their thoughts on the bike. The shop owner's wife just got one this week and they were all very impressed with it. I tried to get them to order me a supreme, but Kona is out of stock in my size.
    So now I'm now thinking about the deluxe. It still looks like pretty solid components for the cost. From what I gather, the only part of the deluxe that might be a bit of an issue is the rear shock. It's a cheaper Kona brand than what they offer on the supreme. Anyway, that's my rambling thoughts. I haven't had any actual experience with the bike, but most reviews I've seen are very positive.

mtbr member
    I have the Tanuki Deluxe and I absolutely love it. It is the most versatile mountain bike I have ever had. Definitely a jack of all trades type of bike. I have been riding cross country in Michigan with it and downhill in Oregon. I have loved it in every type of riding.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Just picked up a 2012 Tanuki Deluxe a few hours ago. Haven't had a real chance to get out and ride it yet, but it seems pretty awesome from the initial test rides.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    i'm enjoying my tanuki~ stock FR shocks with 9 speeds support well for someone like me to pick up riding after 20yrs~
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kona Tanuki-greeting-sunrise.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I'm new to Mountain Biking, so new that I don't know the difference between all mountain and cross country but I bought this bike on a whim and have fallen in love with it and with biking in general. I have nothing to compare it against except a very old Diamondback hard tail that was more of a ride around town bike than a real off-road machine.
    I can jump it, go down hills that I never would have dreamed of, even riding up hill seems easier than it should be. Hell, after about 5 real rides I can almost wheelie it pretty well. Seems like people on the trails are interested in it too, had a few people asking me questions about it, mostly questions I had no clue how to answer...
    Take it for what it's worth but I can't imagine a much better experience from this purchase!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kona Tanuki-001.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Hey Whitewater - Nice bike! I'm sure you will have a lot of fun with it. I picked up a Tanuki Deluxe back in September and couldn't be happier. It is a fun, quick, versatile little bike. Enjoy it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I picked up a new Tanuki frame off ebay for my wife, built it up with some strong but light all mountain/enduro racing parts and the bike is awesome. Total build weighs about 27 pounds and it feels as burly as my Giant Reign X1 that weighs 6 pounds more. I've considered using it for some of the local enduro races instead of my Reign X1. These bikes really can benefit from a rear shock upgrade though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by finch6013 View Post
    I picked up a new Tanuki frame off ebay for my wife, built it up with some strong but light all mountain/enduro racing parts and the bike is awesome. Total build weighs about 27 pounds and it feels as burly as my Giant Reign X1 that weighs 6 pounds more. I've considered using it for some of the local enduro races instead of my Reign X1. These bikes really can benefit from a rear shock upgrade though.
    Trust me, these bikes are plenty burly. I was driving to the trail this past summer and some jackass rear ended my car at a stop sign (with the bike on my bike rack). The bike absorbed the impact of his large truck hitting my car and the only thing that needed to be replaced was the crank. My dealer took the bike apart and checked it with their frame straightening equipment to see if anything was off. The frame was and still is straight as an arrow.

I have mine set up for Enduro / Freeride with Raceface DH cranks and a Kore AM stem and the bike was more than enough for a day at Mountain Creek Bike Park.

I am interested in how you got your wife's bike down to 27lbs. Would you mind sharing what the build consists of?

Interestingly, my bike (size 18) was almost 34lbs stock, but after my upgrades it dropped down to 33lbs even.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Build is as fallows
    size 18 frame
    kore 30mm stem
    deity dirty 30 bars
    avid bb7 disk
    rockshox revelation fork
    flow rims on hope hubs
    Hans dampf performance tires with super light weight weenie tubes
    Fox float R rear shock
    1x8 drivetrain mix of sram x9 and shimano slx
    light weight girly saddle and kona stock seat post
    deity decoy pedals
    just verified the weight at 27.5 lbs

I rode this bike down a light freeride trail yesterday and the thing RIPS! I might have to start lightening up my Reign X1.

mtbr member
    Build is as fallows
    size 18 frame
    kore 30mm stem
    deity dirty 30 bars
    avid bb7 disk
    rockshox revelation fork
    flow rims on hope hubs
    Hans dampf performance tires with super light weight weenie tubes
    Fox float R rear shock
    1x8 drivetrain mix of sram x9 and shimano slx
    light weight girly saddle and kona stock seat post
    deity decoy pedals
    just verified the weight at 27.5 lbs

I rode this bike down a light freeride trail yesterday and the thing RIPS! I might have to start lightening up my Reign X1.
    Nice build. What stroke is the Revelation?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    150mm

mtbr member
    150mm
    Nice. Good to hear someone is doing what I have been thinking about and not having any issues with handling.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The wife seems to be happy with the changes to geometry and I've enjoyed riding it the few times we've traded bikes. The 150mm fork really slackened out the head angle. I'm not sure what the final number is but it feels good when pointed down.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 88kona88 View Post
    i'm enjoying my tanuki~ stock FR shocks with 9 speeds support well for someone like me to pick up riding after 20yrs~
    replaced stock pedals & added 3 mths of riding dirt~
    stock parts still holding well from weekly rides~
    Attached Images Attached Images